Russian Olympic Team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian Olympic Team

donezo

On the Ice
The decision to bench Sotnikova in the team event is absolutely baffling. She has beaten Lipnitskaia in the short program in each of their last three head-to-head competitions. I think she has clearly earned a chance to skate the short program here. Let Julia skate in the long program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Canada
will skate with V&M, Chan and Osmond all in one
so your problem is ?

The difference is Julia and Sotnikova are evenly matched so including both in the team event won't likely compromise Russia's ability to win gold. Just like it won't make much difference if Duhamel/Radford and M-T/M split the pairs team event for Canada since they're pretty evenly matched. Where it doesn't make sense to put one skater is if there is another skater of equal calibre (i.e. who can earn a similar placement), and it doesn't make sense to put two entries for one discipline if one entry is obviously superior (like V/T over S/K) Even for B/S, I'd say they should do both because they're pushed as the Russian #1, and I/K might lose to W/P and P/B given their history of errors this season.

In Canada's case, Chan should skate both, Osmond should skate both, MT/M and D/R are evenly matched so they can split pairs, and V&M should skate both (because W/P will likely lose to B/S, maybe even P/B).

For best shot at gold....

Russia:
Plu
Lip & Sot
V/T
B/S (maybe I/K if they want to give them a medal too)

Canada:
Chan
Osmond
D/R & MT/M
V/M (maybe W/P if they want to give them a medal too)

elif

Medalist
The decision to bench Sotnikova in the team event is absolutely baffling. She has beaten Lipnitskaia in the short program in each of their last three head-to-head competitions. I think she has clearly earned a chance to skate the short program here. Let Julia skate in the long program.
There is a limit for change of skaters so either Ilinykh/Katsalapov or Sotnikova won't be in the team event.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I adore Sotnikova, and in a perfect world she would do the team event. However, I/K actually have a higher SB in the free than B/S do. If Italy or France make the finals, that one really could matter, and if B/S free dance doesn't look good it could matter too.

Julia actually has a higher SB than Adelina in the short too. While yes Julia has lost to Adelina in the short before, she really is a must have in the free program for Russia.

As a strategy, the Russians are probably making the best move.

If they were limited to two switches, Adelina would I'm sure do the short. But they are, and its probably the best move for the entire team.

As for V/T its way to close to the pairs event for them to do both programs, S/K is the better option and it would give them some exposure too. If they could beat some of the bronze medal hopefuls in the Team event it could put them on path to bronze.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Julia actually has a higher SB than Adelina in the short too.

That should be taken with a grain of salt as it was at Cup of Russia, where Lipnitskaia received huge PCS and wasn't called out for her flutz. A clean Sotnikova at CoR could have scored 73-74 points with home ice PCS. At Euros where both skated clean (a much more suitable gauge) Sotnikova placed ahead of her.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'll be sad if Adelina doesn't skate the short but the decision makes sense because, as others have noted, the placements between them won't change much. If everyone is clean in th SP, both would place behind Mao and ahead of everyone else.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
bekalc said:
I adore Sotnikova, and in a perfect world she would do the team event. However, I/K actually have a higher SB in the free than B/S do. If Italy or France make the finals, that one really could matter, and if B/S free dance doesn't look good it could matter too.

Julia actually has a higher SB than Adelina in the short too. While yes Julia has lost to Adelina in the short before, she really is a must have in the free program for Russia.

As a strategy, the Russians are probably making the best move.

That higher SP score from Julia though was at CoR, were the marks overall were a little... suspect. We don't know how Adelina would have scored for a clean SP there. And Julia didn't just loose to Adelina in the SP before... it's 3 straigth times in a row. Adelina deserves to so the team SP.
And while I/K have a higher FD SB, they're more prone to making errors and scoring quite a lot lower than that too. Going up against one another, I'd expect B/S to beat I/K more often than not.

Having S/K do the pairs LP is definitly the right decision though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^ That higher SP score from Julia though was at CoR, were the marks overall were a little... suspect. We don't know how Adelina would have scored for a clean SP there. And Julia didn't just loose to Adelina in the SP before... it's 3 straigth times in a row. Adelina deserves to so the team SP.
And while I/K have a higher FD SB, they're more prone to making errors and scoring quite a lot lower than that too. Going up against one another, I'd expect B/S to beat I/K more often than not.

Having S/K do the pairs LP is definitly the right decision though.

Totally agreed. How many times have I/K beaten B/S this season?

elif

Medalist
I'll be sad if Adelina doesn't skate the short but the decision makes sense because, as others have noted, the placements between them won't change much. If everyone is clean in th SP, both would place behind Mao and ahead of everyone else.

Yes. Bobrova/Soloviev with new free dance is much more risky. Clean Ilinykh/Katsalapov could get more points. We can see this from TEB (P/B) and Europeans (C/L).

donezo

On the Ice
After I/K's performance at Russian Nationals, I would definitely use Bobrova/Soloviev for both portions of that event. It seems like Elena and Nikita would be likelier to completely bomb the free dance and finish fourth, thus opening the door for Canada to win the entire event.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
Totally agreed. How many times have I/K beaten B/S this season?

They didn't meet on the GP, but B/S made the Final, while I/K didn't. The only time they went head to head was at Nationals I guess.

Additionally, even if B/S new FD might not be a good program (again), it would be better for them to get it out there too, instead of "debuting" it in the individual event.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with @bekalc in that Russia needs Julia's FS more than Sotnikova's SP. At GPF both were under 70 and only a two point difference. Only Adelina broke 70 at Euro's and didn't even clear Julia by a whole point. Lets face it, Julia's SP is more suited for the Olympic Games too. It plays to her childish looks and as Johnny Weir said "takes us back to our days of being a kid when we just wanted to play and draw on the ice". While it may hold less impact at Worlds and GP series it is perfect for the Olympics which thrive on story lines such as this kid brings. Love or hate em all you want but Julia might be the best packaged skater in regards to the Olympics.

I do however love Adelina and feel for her if she is in fact left out. This is nowhere near as controversial as some other countries and their Olympic selections:rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I do however love Adelina and feel for her if she is in fact left out. This is nowhere near as controversial as some other countries and their Olympic selections:rolleye:

Which ones?

I mean, the only one that comes to mind is Japan snubbing Murakami for Mao, but that's hardly unexpected. The case of Adelina and Julia would be like if the Russian fed went with Murakami over Suzuki even though Suzuki won Japanese nationals.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Why does it have to be as controversial as some other dicisions to disagree with it? :unsure:

And while I agree Julias LP is amazing, her drawing hearts on the ice in the SP is hardly an argument for why her SP should be used in the team event. Honestly, as good as her LP is, her SP isn't that good at all (the program, not the way she delivers it). I'm actually mostly irritated by I/K getting the nod over Adelina, so to speak. I'd be less vocal about this if Russia would have went with Julia and B/S doing both events. This way, it looks like they made a decision between Adelina and I/K and actually took the skaters that are more likely to bomb.

CSG, I guess Sam means some of the individual event decisions: Takahashi over Oda, Plush over Kovtun and Wagner over Nagasu.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why does it have to be as controversial as some other dicisions to disagree with it? :unsure:

This way, it looks like they made a decision between Adelina and I/K and actually took the skaters that are more likely to bomb.

Disagree all you like with Russia's decision. I think you may in fact be right. I was merely pointing out that Julia's SP may score higher in the Olympics than previous events. Not as high as CoR which was a tad high but I see her 69-71.

I'm still laughing at your last sentence. With you of course.

My selection comment was not in regards to the team event but the team itself.

elif

Medalist
This is not important for team event If Julia got 69, Adelina 70. Only important thing is placement, which they will both get second with home ice advantage If they are clean of course (behind Asada)

bekalc

Record Breaker

And while I agree Julias LP is amazing, her drawing hearts on the ice in the SP is hardly an argument for why her SP should be used in the team event. Honestly, as good as her LP is, her SP isn't that good at all (the program, not the way she delivers it). I'm actually mostly irritated by I/K getting the nod over Adelina, so to speak. I'd be less vocal about this if Russia would have went with Julia and B/S doing both events. This way, it looks like they made a decision between Adelina and I/K and actually took the skaters that are more likely to bomb.

CSG, I guess Sam means some of the individual event decisions: Takahashi over Oda, Plush over Kovtun and Wagner over Nagasu.

I don't think this is a choice between Julia and Adelina's short programs, as its a choice between I/K and Adelina. They feel I/K will get them more points.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think this is a choice between Julia and Adelina's short programs, as its a choice between I/K and Adelina. They feel I/K will get them more points.

I think the biggest factor is probably the pairs/dance don't want to skate four programs, which is understandable especially for the pairs.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, I said I feel it's a choice between Adelina and I/K too. That's especially why I think it's so weird.

And why would the Dancers especially don't want to skate 4 programs? After the Team Event it's Pairs, Men, Dance and Ladies last. The Ice Dancers have a lot more of a break in between than the Pairs. (Though I get why probably no one wants to have to do all 4 programs, but that applies to Julia just as much....)

gmyers

Record Breaker
B/S should do team because I/K blow everything and all their chances and now will blow RUssia's chance to win team gold because everyone agrees they don't train properly for a senior ice dance team. I no longer believe Russia will medal in the team event.