Beading on Costumes & Dance Dresses? | Golden Skate

Beading on Costumes & Dance Dresses?

T

terisalyn

Beading on Costumes & Dance Dresses?

I need info on attaching beading to a dress for ice dancing. What kind of beads are used, and what kind of thread? Are glass seed beads too heavy?

L

lilicedancer

Re: Beading on costumes....dance dresses

I don't know about thread, but heavy beads are probably not a good idea, and too much beading can be a problem as the beads can catch on the partners outfit. Beading on the bottom part of the sleeves can cause problems as well. Trust me, it's happened to me and I've seen it happen to others.

I

IcEaNgEl0587

Re: Beading on costumes....dance dresses

I would personally recommend using Austrian Crystals, they are light weight and add lots of sparkle. I have used them since I was like 6. YOu can use regular thread for the sew on kind. You will also need to purchase some seed beads (small beads) these are used to attach the crystals to the dress. Typically sew on austrian crystals are around 15 dollars a gross depending on the size and color. You can also opt for the glue on stones which you attach with regular fabric glue and let dry overnight. You can purchase these in either real cyrstal or you can get them for a couple of bucks from a craft store but you won't get the same shine. If you have anymore q's bout this lemme know. I might be able to find the number/web adress for a place that I used to order from.

R

RoaringSkates

Re: Beading on Costumes & Dance Dresses?

The austrian crystals are the best. There are plastic versions available, cheaper rhinestones, but they don't sparkle like the crystals. The crystals are worth the extra money.

I just applied some of these to my dress last night. Since I couldn't find the sew on versions, I glued them on using a special fabric glue designed to attach jewels. It seems to be working well. Both glue and stones were available at my local fabric store.

S

sk8er1964

How well does gluing work on velvet? We're going to start the beading on my new dress this weekend.

L

Littleskatersmom

How does all this compare to hot fix rhinestones?