Artur Dmitriev | Golden Skate

Artur Dmitriev

lulu

Final Flight
This was inspired by the Peter/Naomi thread, and the hypothetical pairings of Peter and X skater and how hard it is to adjust to a new partner, especially after spending a certain amount of time with the first one. Which got me to thinking of Artur Dmitriev.
I always liked M&D and K&D, so I'm probably biased here
:eek: , but I felt that they don't get the credit they should for their skating. Which is unfair, because both teams were great and brought a lot to figure skating.
I think M&D had a great infuence on other pairs that followed them.
Some people might prefer the traditonal pairs skating (more traditional moves, man presents the woman and that's fine) But I liked the passion, creativity and drama Dmitriev brought to the ice. Sure he's past his "hey day" but he's still a great skater. :D

jesslily

Final Flight
Artur Dmitriev could find a new partner and won 2nd OGM because he has a few advantages. He was determined to do it. Masivina played a big role here. She really believed in Dmitriev's talent and determination, and she put in 200% effort to make the new team success. His partner is a very talented as well as hard-working skater. I don't know if Peter T. will be this lucky.

lulu

Final Flight
Of course Oksana is great! And she has developed into a really good show performer. I didn't mean to suggest that Artur had two successful partnerships just by himself. Natalia, Oksana, Moskvina all played a role in it.
:)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Artur with both his partners is probably my favorite pair skater. I always prefered his style to the more classical style embodied by G&G.

I think also that a little of the credit for his success with Oksana goes to his wife, who supported him in his decision to stay eligible. At least from the interviews I've read I got the sense that it was very improtant to him.

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Another vote from one who prefers Artur and partners to G & G. I've always considered him the most underrated man in figure skating, and Oksana K bloomed as a pro skater similar to Paul Wylie and Yuka Sato--she got better with each performance. LOVE those two, just as I loved him with Natalia.

lulu

Final Flight
I'm not sure if I think he is the most underrated man. But I do think he and his partners have been underrated and overshadowed at times. Even though it may not be a big deal, I would like to see him get inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame someday.

Objectively speaking, I can see where G&G had textbook technique(not that M&D or K&D were chopped liver by any means) and I can see where judges would prefer the cleaner technique.
But Artur really did a lot to bring the male pair skater into the spotlight and make the "showing" of the pair more equal.
Both pairs skated with an incredible amount of passion. Anyways, that how I would discribe M&D/K&D in a nutshell. Anyone else?

There's an Excellent interview with Artur after Nagano, that talks about the 5 women who most influenced his life. Here is the URLhttp://www.velena.ru/skating/dmitriev.html Of course it is in Russian and I had to babel it, so at times the translation left me:confused: but it is still a great article (confusing translation and all)

Last edited:

lulu

Final Flight
His son also skates, placing 5th in the North Atlantic Regionals and just missing a trip to Junior Nationals. :)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I'm sorry..."underrated"?

Two Oly golds and a controversial silver. A world title. Lucrative pro deals. Household name. What exactly does someone have to do around here to become 'rated'?

Is Donald trump "underrated" because when most people think billionaire, Bill Gates comes to mind first?

May God strike me down with the poor recognition that Artur has been burdened with. :laugh:

lulu

Final Flight
LOL Berthes Ghost:laugh: .

Okay, maybe he hasn't been "underrated" like other skaters have been. Certainly, he has it better than most elite figure skaters. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of theirs, I just think it was so sad that Eltsova and Bushkov(didn't write Bukin this time :p) had to quite figure skating because they could no longer afford it.

I do think he has been a "benchmark" skater with regards to the role of the man in figure skating and M&D did a lot to add unusual moves and artistry to skating.

Anyways, that is just my impressions of their skating.

I liked what Shine said. ;)

ITA that Artur and both Natalia and Oksana made two of the most sublime pairs teams of all time. IMO, Artur and Natalia's "Liebestraum," choreographed by Moskvina, is the "Bolero" of pairs skating. True, Artur and Natalia were often overshadowed by G&G, and, sadly, Sergei's death at such a young age gives him a special place in fans' memories and the pantheon of skaters. But Artur is a great example of a man who followed his heart, maintained his strong sense of self, and competed his way, albeit without ignoring his coach. Moskvina has been one of the few genius coach/choreographers is skating, no matter what the discipline, and I think Artur knew he had the greatest teacher he would ever find in tiny, mighty Tamara. From the work he's done with Ina & Zimmerman, I hope Artur goes into coaching and choreography. He'd be able to use what he learned from Moskvina combined with his own ideas. I'd love to see him coach and I'm sure others would too. He may be past his "hay day" as a competitor, but he may yet reach it as a coach/choreographer.
Rgirl