Team Competition -- Who will win what medals? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
After doing my rough breakdown I hope Chan is convinced to skate both programs. I now strongly believe Canada will lose the Team Gold if Reynolds skates the LP. They may lose it even with Chan skating both programs, but they need him in order to have a chance.

LRK

Record Breaker
I hadn't thought of it like that, but I actually feel sorry for Patrick now. This is a very tricky decision. Any little may matter - even if he is only slightly more tired than some of his competitors in the individual, it may matter... This is one of these cases, where, no matter how he decides, he may end up wishing he'd done otherwise. And those kind of nerves added on top of all the other expectations can't be a good thing. Well, I hope he isn't affected by it, and that he knows what he wants, and sticks by that decision. Maybe I'm just projecting things onto him, and he isn't fazed by it at all. :)

wallylutz

Medalist
He isn't fazed by it. In part, because he is young. At this age, most guys feel like they are invincible, especially when you are a 3 times World Champion.

In fact, he doesn't understand why some people skip or moan about participating the Team Event. Of course, he is in a media blackout and unable to say more though this is not a secret at all.

LRK

Record Breaker
He isn't fazed by it. In part, because he is young. At this age, most guys feel like they are invincible, especially when you are a 3 times World Champion.

In fact, he doesn't understand why some people skip or moan about participating the Team Event. Of course, he is in a media blackout and unable to say more though this is not a secret at all.

Well, that's good to hear. Thank you. :)

aschiutza

On the Ice
Actually, winning a medal in team competition might take from Chan a lot of the pressure in the individual competition. He will get also a confidence bust.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Actually, winning a medal in team competition might take from Chan a lot of the pressure in the individual competition. He will get also a confidence bust.

Agreed. And it'll give him a greater comfort level on the Russian ice and calm his nerves going into the individual.

If he performs well, it will give him confidence going into his individual competition and is good for Team Canada, if he performs poorly at least it won't have been in the individual competition - it's win-win.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Agreed. And it'll give him a greater comfort level on the Russian ice and calm his nerves going into the individual.

If he performs well, it will give him confidence going into his individual competition and is good for Team Canada, if he performs poorly at least it won't have been in the individual competition - it's win-win.

Agreed. So from all perspectives it makes more sense for him to do 2 programs and while I am not a Chan fan I want Team Canada to win gold or atleast make the best possible attempt at it, so hope he does both programs. I do understand if he does only 1 though, and it seems that is what is most likely to happen, but hopefully there will be a surprise and he does both.

It is funny I was initally hoping for Weaver & Poje to get involved but that was before I analyzed it closer. Ideally the only switch Team Canada might make is the pairs now that I looked at in more in depth. We really cant afford to be giving away any easy points.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So far I hear Canada is the favorite for Gold....hope so.

enlight78

Medalist
So far I hear Canada is the favorite for Gold....hope so.

I wonder how W/P and Kevin will feel if they are left off the team event, and Canada wins gold. Will they feel proud and be fired up for the individual event or will they see as a loss chance to take home a medal. I hope it fires them up to get a medal of their own or give it all they got.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I wonder how W/P and Kevin will feel if they are left off the team event, and Canada wins gold. Will they feel proud and be fired up for the individual event or will they see as a loss chance to take home a medal. I hope it fires them up to get a medal of their own or give it all they got.

but they probably wouldn't win gold with w/p and kevin on the team anyway so its a moo point

kresslia

Medalist
but they probably wouldn't win gold with w/p and kevin on the team anyway so its a moo point
Lol exactly. If Kevin is on the team, kiss gold goodbye. Now, I genuinely like Kevin (he was outstanding at times last year), but he lacks experience this year. He was a mess at nationals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree about Kevin. he should not be invited to skate for the sake of a medal. I know somewhere someone thought this was unfair. But it is up to Skate Canada and Kevin would be a huge wildcard this year not having been able to skate much competitively. Last year he was fifth in the world's but he might not even make the top 10 this year - it is not like he should have been expecting an olympic medal. In fact such as life on each team for the most part other there will be some lucky skater who probably didn't have a chance for a medal for it were not for the team event ie. if Japan or Italy win a medal someone as mean as this sound will get a free ride ie the dance team in Japan and pairs in Japan or in Italy the male skater. For USA the pairs would probably be the skaters who lucked out.The US team if you believe what we have heard is allowing their top ranking team or skater to choose if they skate in one or both events (sp/fs). I hope the top ranking pair team whoever the Committee decided allows the other pair team to skate one event too - because they are so close and on any day either could beat the other and really they should count their lucky stars they are going to get a medal.

flutzy13

On the Ice
The US team if you believe what we have heard is allowing their top ranking team or skater to choose if they skate in one or both events (sp/fs). I hope the top ranking pair team whoever the Committee decided allows the other pair team to skate one event too - because they are so close and on any day either could beat the other and really they should count their lucky stars they are going to get a medal.

If you look at Z&B's versus C&S's scores internationally, this isn't the case. There were less than 3 points at Nats between a perfect Z&B (literally the absolute best they could do) and C&S with some small errors and a fall. Marissa and Simon have bigger elements, are faster and have a more sophisticated quality and programs that should be reflected in PCS. Because neither team is in the medal hunt, I think USFS made the right choice by not splitting them.

I am however a fan of Felicia and Nate and thrilled that they skated lights out at Nats and triumpled over politics and (over)hype of D&C to make the team. I hope they have a wonderful Olympic experience and stick around.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think Skate Canada prefers a gold medal in the men's event than a gold medal in the team event. They want Patrick to have enough time to rest in between events. I think it was his decision.

elif

Medalist
What about Team Japan? If they are perfect in the singles maybe they can get medal. :popcorn::yay:

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
so is the vibe of this thing going to be like wtt or is it just going to be like an individual event and they just add all the scores up later?

enlight78

Medalist
I think there is going to be a lot more serious and pressure than WTT, especially for Russia

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
oh yeah sure, but i meant is the whole team gonna be in the k&c together or is it basically just an individual event with them collating all the scores behind the scenes?