Who will skate in the team event | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Who will skate in the team event

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
zamboni step said:
Being a fan means saying "Yes, skater x needs to work very hard on some blemishes in their skating, but I still love and admire the other qualities they possess."

:thumbsup:

As strange as it might sound, but I think Chan kind of "owns" it to his team to skate the LP now. I thought it was understandable he just wanted to do the SP before due to his OGM chances in the individual, but after his mistakes in the LP gave Russia a lead for now, I feel a little different. I wouldn't call him selfish or anything if he doesn't want to do the LP, but I think he should.
Russia has the lead now, but they might be more vulnerable in the LPs than it looks now. Plushenko nailed his SP (and deserves a lot of respect for that), but it's tough to say how he might manage with a whole LP. He could definitly loose to Chan and Machida, and maybe even Brown if he skates like he did at Nats. That could be up to 3 points Chan could gain for Canada alone. I&K could fall behind France and it's again 2 to 3 possible points for Canada. S/K did so well at Europeans, but I have no idea how they'll handle the pressure. Ladies is the weak link, sure, but Osmond should manage top 5 today, maybe even 4th/3rd if Kostner/Wagner don't deliver, and if France or China with Zhang make the LPs, she should be 4th there (maybe even 3rd if Gracie has problems with handling the pressure of being the last to skate to get her team the bronze medal). If Reynolds does the LP though, they're chances are going down a lot.

Meanwhile, I really want Japan to get the Team bronze, but I really want Ashley to do well today and proof everyone who insulted and attackted her after Nats wrong. Need more medals because of too many deserving athletes :slink:

Edit: Forgot that Kostner will be skating for Italy. I'm still stock in thinking with Marchei here ^^"

Trewyn

Medalist
Does anyone know if Adelina backed off the team event herself, or was just excluded by RF? Does anyone know how she feels about it?

I think Adelina may have been the victim of the limited substitutions rule. V/T are favourites to win gold - so logically they didn't want to skate the LP since the pairs event is right after the Team. And in ice dance Russia desperately wants a medal but they don't have a clear frontrunner, they need to give both B/S as well as I/K the chance to get positive momentum and buzz before the individual event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know when the participants in the pairs' free will be announced? Immediately after the ladies' short - or when? I suppose the teams must have chosen their pair, even if it hasn't been announced. It must be a rather odd feeling for some of them, not knowing if they will be even skating a free today or not, depending on whether their team makes it into the free. (Which is why I think it's rather odd scedulling to have one of the free skates the same day as some of the short.)

Times below are in Sochi local time

- February 8th, 2014 - 21:40 h
Nomination by name of the skaters participating in the Pair Skating Free Skating Team Event

- February 9th, 2014 - 10:00 h
Nomination by name of the skaters participating in the Men, Ladies and Ice Dance Free Skating/Free Dance Team Event​

ETA:
The SP for the individual discipline of Pairs is on Tuesday, Feb 11. Scheduling the Pairs FS for the team event for today (instead of tomorrow) gives the skaters an interval of two days before they compete again, instead of only one day.​

kresslia

Medalist
Everything pointing towards Kevin Reynolds tomorrow. CBC showed him in their figure skating preview for tomorrow, along with Kaetlyn and Virtue/Moir.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A surprise to nobody:

U.S. Figure Skating
‏@USFigureSkating
We are proud to officially announce that @Meryl_Davis and @CharlieaWhite, @GraceEGold and @jasonbskates will skate in today's Team Event!
10:01 PM - 8 Feb 2014

Yay Riverdance tomorrow (today)!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Team Men - Free Skating
Starting Order

1 PARKINSON Paul Bonifacio ITA
2 BROWN Jason USA
3 REYNOLDS Kevin CAN
4 PLYUSHCHENKO Evgeny RUS
5 MACHIDA Tatsuki JPN​

Team Ladies - Free Skating
Starting Order

1 OSMOND Kaetlyn CAN
2 GOLD Gracie USA
3 SUZUKI Akiko JPN
4 MARCHEI Valentina ITA
5 LIPNITSKAYA Yulia RUS​

Team Ice Dance - Free Dance
Starting Order

1 REED Cathy / REED Chris JPN
2 GUIGNARD Charlene / FABBRI Marco ITA
3 ILINYKH Elena / KATSALAPOV Nikita RUS
4 VIRTUE Tessa / MOIR Scott CAN
5 DAVIS Meryl / WHITE Charlie USA​

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I kind of think skaters like Abbott, Brown, Reynolds, the American pairs, should be especially grateful and realize how lucky they are because especially in the case of Reynolds they are so lucky to get a medal considering their world placements and they normally would not challenge for a medal. Poor Weaver and Poje bronze medal potential contenders individually but they won't skate in the team event probably . the medal placements are pretty well decided now at this point. Plushy can only fall to fifth no lower. there is sufficient gap betwee the teams the results would be almost impossible to change.

bobbob

Medalist
They should make the free skate points "10, 8, 6, 4, 2" instead of "10, 9, 8, 7, 6" so the free skate could be more important than the short. Now, it almost seems like the short is more important. (it does)

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
why don't we ever spell plushenko's name right, there's a y and c in there we always leave out

They should make the free skate points "10, 8, 6, 4, 2" instead of "10, 9, 8, 7, 6" so the free skate could be more important than the short. Now, it almost seems like the short is more important. (it does)

you should be employed by the isu

or not because that idea makes a lot of sense

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I should clarify. Reynolds is fifth from last year but has not skated internationally this year and he is unlikely to beat any Japanese or both American men not to mention the re emergence of the czech boys and he will be hard pressed to beat both French and Yan is now on the scene. and in comparison to his teammates Weaver and Poje they probably will only watch their teammates win silver. first, only one of the two can skate for Canada at this point maybe some of those lucky skaters should buy drinks or nice gifts or do some random of acts of kindness. Sure they did skate and that does help the team but let's face it they are really lucky to be getting a medal wheras it is still psosible that Joubert and Kostner could end up with no medal. But life isn't fair and fair is really in the eye of the beholder.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i'm too lazy to do the math properly but is there any way canada wins the gold? if kevin scores 2 points over plushy (lol yeah right) AND if katelyn scores 2 points over yulia (hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha........ ok) AND if v/m score 2 points over i/k (not the hell freezing over possibility of the other two, but still unlikely), that's the only way canada wins gold right?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
V/M will no way lose to a clean I/K, C/L, or P/B. At the GPF, they beat P/B by 10 points and C/L by about 17 in the free skate alone. All three teams were clean. I/K didn't even qualify. D/W will probably win, though that is not so much because V/M have "glaring technical flaws".

Hey Bob squared don't even challenge sky fly it isn't worth it. anyways, the scoring as it is would suggest it doesn't matter who canada uses they can't win gold. It is highly unlikely Chan and V and M can beat their Russians by enough to make up the difference as well as allow for at least one spot surrendered by Osmond. Osmond deserves full credit; they couldn't ask for more. Too bad she skted first - she could have been third or fourth at least. I know ashley feels cheated but she was dang lucky; had Osmond skated later I think it is clear osmond would have beat Ashley which is possible because I believe at world's that happened.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
So many people I want to see..Machida, Akiko, Gracie.
There was no point for Canada to send Chan. They already have the silver medal.

Becki

Medalist

You just did more planning than the ISU has ever done.

bobbob

Medalist
Hey Bob squared don't even challenge sky fly it isn't worth it. anyways, the scoring as it is would suggest it doesn't matter who canada uses they can't win gold. It is highly unlikely Chan and V and M can beat their Russians by enough to make up the difference as well as allow for at least one spot surrendered by Osmond. Osmond deserves full credit; they couldn't ask for more. Too bad she skted first - she could have been third or fourth at least. I know ashley feels cheated but she was dang lucky; had Osmond skated later I think it is clear osmond would have beat Ashley which is possible because I believe at world's that happened.

I don;t think anyone on this forum will have the guts to bet V/M will finish anything worse than 2nd. V/M are far superior to all the other teams.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Today (Feb 9th) Carolina is flying to Germany.

She told that she needs more than 30 min x day of training and that she is more relaxed following her own routine.