Who will skate in the team event | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will skate in the team event

amc987

On the Ice
I'm not totally clear on the substitution rules but if I were the US/ Canada I'd do the following:

Ladies' SP: Gold; LP: Wagner
Men's SP: Abbott; LP: Brown
Dance: Davis/White both programs
Pairs: Castelli/Shnapir both programs

I still don't know that I trust Gracie not to bomb on a big occasion in international competition. So far she's done 1 good long program internationally in 2 seasons. I'm not sure that it makes sense to put her up in the LP when her score will definitely count for a medal, despite her strong performances at Nationals.

Ladies': Osmond both programs
Men's: SP: Reynolds; LP: Chan
Dance: Virtue/Moir both programs
Pairs: SP: Duhamel/ Radford; LP: Moore-Towers/ Moscovitch

Honestly, I'd probably get Chan to do both programs for Team Canada, but I don't know that that's realistic.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm not totally clear on the substitution rules but if I were the US/ Canada I'd do the following:

Ladies' SP: Gold; LP: Wagner
Men's SP: Abbott; LP: Brown
Dance: Davis/White both programs
Pairs: Castelli/Shnapir both programs

I still don't know that I trust Gracie not to bomb on a big occasion in international competition. So far she's done 1 good long program internationally in 2 seasons. I'm not sure that it makes sense to put her up in the LP when her score will definitely count for a medal, despite her strong performances at Nationals.

Ladies': Osmond both programs
Men's: SP: Reynolds; LP: Chan
Dance: Virtue/Moir both programs
Pairs: SP: Duhamel/ Radford; LP: Moore-Towers/ Moscovitch

Honestly, I'd probably get Chan to do both programs for Team Canada, but I don't know that that's realistic.

I thoroughly agree with this. Nice to see people are actually sensible about Gold doing the SP when she hasn't had good long programs internationally and has clearly shown the SP is her strong suit this season.

wallylutz

Medalist
Mark my word, there is no way in hell Reynolds would be doing the SP in lieu of Chan, not with the way the Team Event is set up.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm sure internally the skaters will know if they're skating, but it's hilarious all this hush hush. I agree with Mathman, send your best selection by a certain date and then all are revealed with no swapping.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
What I find interesting is that the team event is one week from tomorrow (!!!!!!!!!) and hardly any of the athletes are in Sochi yet! I think Gracie left already, but so far it appears as if most of the other members of Team USA are still in the US. I would imagine they would be leaving by this weekend at the latest, but that is still cutting it pretty short.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What I find interesting is that the team event is one week from tomorrow (!!!!!!!!!) and hardly any of the athletes are in Sochi yet! I think Gracie left already, but so far it appears as if most of the other members of Team USA are still in the US. I would imagine they would be leaving by this weekend at the latest, but that is still cutting it pretty short.

Reminder that Team USA was planning to have a training base in Graz for the Olympics, according to Jason Brown's blog post in Feb 2013.

I suspect that Gold is there, as opposed to in Sochi itself.

(Cool that Jason potentially will spend some time in Graz as an Olympian himself ... even though he probably didn't dare to dream so at the time of his blog.)

:laugh: And Canada will announce its team members on that day too. So US wants to see other country's list before they announce it.

Presumably both countries will not make any announcement until seconds after 10:00 am (Sochi time), which is the deadline for making changes in the team entries.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Most athletes show up for a GP event a few days before, not usually a week. I don't think the conditions will be all that different from a GP...other than it's a much more high-profile event.

glam

On the Ice
They probably have better training conditions at home than in Sochi where there is only a very limited ice time.

LRK

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/428590471934255104

USFigureSkating
FYI Team Event: We will announce the athletes involved in the short program at Midnight ET (10 a.m. Sochi) on Feb. 5th

Wow talk about last minute. And midnight?! :)

Well, they have a sense of the dramatic.... Hush! As the midnight bell tolls...

But, anyway, it occurred to me to wonder - what happens if someone is a few minutes over the deadline with the line-up? I mean, suppose some technical glitch or other? What happens then? Just.. curious...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

But, anyway, it occurred to me to wonder - what happens if someone is a few minutes over the deadline with the line-up? I mean, suppose some technical glitch or other? What happens then? Just.. curious...

Well I'm sure they'll actually do the registration before the deadline....just that they won't be announcing it until then!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

LOL, US Figure Skating and Skate Canada are not being dramatic by design in terms of the timing (over which they presumably had no control).

Midnight ET is just a coincidence for North America. The meeting in Sochi for team leaders begins at 10:00 am local time, thus the deadline.

Re your question:
I agree with Mrs. P. (If only I had a penny for every time that I wrote those words ;).)
I doubt that the federations will wait until the last minute to give their entry lists to the ISU. I assume the ISU is duty-bound to hold all lists in confidence until after the deadline has passed.
And even if a super-cautious federation is trying to wait until the very last minute, I suppose its team leader could/would show up in person at the meeting with a hard-copy list in hand -- without any danger of an electronic glitch, if that is what you mean.

desertskates

Medalist
Most athletes show up for a GP event a few days before, not usually a week. I don't think the conditions will be all that different from a GP...other than it's a much more high-profile event.

Just more proof that these young athletes are made of tougher stuff than I can ever be. I even cushion vacation plans by a day or two to get past jetlag. But they know themselves best and I'm sure they'll arrive when it feels right.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Just more proof that these young athletes are made of tougher stuff than I can ever be. I even cushion vacation plans by a day or two to get past jetlag. But they know themselves best and I'm sure they'll arrive when it feels right.
I guess I'm just used to gymnastics where US athletes routinely show up for the Olympics 2 weeks in advance or so. USAG usually rents a private facility for them to use until they go to the Village about a week before.

Then again, I guess USAG has a little more money to throw around at that sort of thing nowadays than USFS, but yeah, lol.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

They should be okay, as long as they don't have Jeremy Abbott submit the names...;)

(Just kidding! I have nothing but respect for Jeremy as a person and skater.)

Trewyn

Medalist
So Feb 5th they only have to announce the athletes for the SP? So we still won't know if they intend to use other athletes for the LP... Pff I never expected this Team Event to be so stressful for a fan!

LRK

Record Breaker
So, Japan has announced its team - USA and Canada will announce last minute. Do we know anything about the other teams? Italy? France? Russia? for example. About any of the skaters - if anyone has said positively that they will/won't skate - or when the announcements for the team will take place?

Gymfan15

On the Ice
I think most of the skaters have been told not to reveal if they are skating or not, even though I imagine most of them know by now.