Mens free - Tatsuki machida

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
japan team (shizuka arakawa's picks) broadcasted on the news last night
ladies short - Mao Asada
Men's short - Yuzuru hanyu
Ladies free - Akiko suzuki
Mens free - Tatsuki machida

Looks like solid picks. Shizuka knows what it takes to win so I trust her judgement :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Reminder that Team USA was planning to have a training base in Graz for the Olympics, according to Jason Brown's blog post in Feb 2013.

I suspect that Gold is there, as opposed to in Sochi itself.

@LynnRutherford
Frank Carroll w/ @Tenis_Den & @GraceEGold in Oberstdorf practicing&adjusting to time change. Kostner, Verner & Germans also there #Sochi2014
4:57 AM - 30 Jan 2014
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/428874522796625920

Sorry that I was wrong about Gracie and Graz (in spite of the catchy alliteration ;)).

flutzy13

On the Ice
I think the travel dates might be giving us some insight into who is skating the team SP.

Jeremy, Marissa & Simon all were in Munich as of Saturday morning going through processing. Z/B and Jason are set to leave tomorrow.

Gracie's been there for days and Wagner appears to still be in Cali which is making me rethink my initial prediction that Gold would skate the LP and Ashley the SP. Maybe it's been decided that Ashley should get the new-old LP out there. polina is still at home as of today.

Davis and White haven't left yet but I'm sure they're more in control of their scheduling & less micromanaged by the federation than other skaters.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
I think the travel dates might be giving us some insight into who is skating the team SP.

Jeremy, Marissa & Simon all were in Munich as of Saturday morning going through processing. Z/B and Jason are set to leave tomorrow.

Gracie's been there for days and Wagner appears to still be in Cali which is making me rethink my initial prediction that Gold would skate the LP and Ashley the SP. Maybe it's been decided that Ashley should get the new-old LP out there. polina is still at home as of today.

Davis and White haven't left yet but I'm sure they're more in control of their scheduling & less micromanaged by the federation than other skaters.

Gracie left SO EARLY, though; I don't know if that is necessarily a reflection on her participation in the short program as it is a reflection on her desire to be in the country well before the Olympics start. The ladies don't skate until Saturday, so I could see Ashley leaving the same time as D/W (who also skate Saturday) and still doing the short.

The men and pairs compete the soonest, though, so I would say that Jeremy being in Sochi already is a clear indication that he will be skating the short. Hopefully that means that they'll put Jason in for the long which would make me SUPER happy!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's very interesting. Gymnasts have to do this every Olympics. They have to be perfect in the team event and if they make it to the all-around they have to go and do the same thing all over again a few days later! and then again for the event finals...

but the team event they aren't all doing the different parts IIRC... there are more "disiplines" but some only do the team event and don't do the individual.

merinheart

Rinkside
The men and pairs compete the soonest, though, so I would say that Jeremy being in Sochi already is a clear indication that he will be skating the short. Hopefully that means that they'll put Jason in for the long which would make me SUPER happy!

Just read an interview with Jason where he confirms that he's attending the opening ceremony. I know that it's basically locked that Jeremy will be doing his short for the team event but can anyone give me a gauge on what Jason's participation at the opening ceremony means for his chance at doing the team free skate? Does this increase the likelihood that Jeremy will be doing both programs for the team event? I'll be so incredibly disappointed if that happens. :-( Although I like Jeremy just fine, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jason and wish he'll get a shot at a team medal since he's unlikely to get one in the individual event.

Sigh, I hope the USFS aren't making a mistake by not using Jason. Imo, not only is his Riverdance more dynamic and a huge crowd-pleaser, I also think Jason's relative consistency compared to Jeremy should be a major factor in play. And if the USFS had any smarts (ha!), they should use the exposure + potential medal to further Jason's rapidly increasing buzz as the future of US men's skating and hopefully get more people interested. All in all, I seriously think the benefits of having Jason in the team event outweigh whatever uncertainties there might be (his inexperience, lack of jumps...um, can't really think of anything else, heh). Anyone else care to tell me why the federation would even consider not using Jason?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just read an interview with Jason where he confirms that he's attending the opening ceremony. I know that it's basically locked that Jeremy will be doing his short for the team event but can anyone give me a gauge on what Jason's participation at the opening ceremony means for his chance at doing the team free skate? Does this increase the likelihood that Jeremy will be doing both programs for the team event? I'll be so incredibly disappointed if that happens. :-( Although I like Jeremy just fine, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jason and wish he'll get a shot at a team medal since he's unlikely to get one in the individual event.

Sigh, I hope the USFS aren't making a mistake by not using Jason. Imo, not only is his Riverdance more dynamic and a huge crowd-pleaser, I also think Jason's relative consistency compared to Jeremy should be a major factor in play. And if the USFS had any smarts (ha!), they should use the exposure + potential medal to further Jason's rapidly increasing buzz as the future of US men's skating and hopefully get more people interested. All in all, I seriously think the benefits of having Jason in the team event outweigh whatever uncertainties there might be (his inexperience, lack of jumps...um, can't really think of anything else, heh). Anyone else care to tell me why the federation would even consider not using Jason?

According to the Ice Network article, the "top-ranked skater" has the choice to do one or both programs. Except I'm not sure what USFSA is defining precisely as top skater.

The Ice Network article states:
To rank skaters, the committee considers several criteria, including results at the U.S. championships as well as the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships and this season's Grand Prix events.

If nationals is weighed heavily, then Jeremy gets first pick.
Neither were at Worlds last year.
Jason has the slightly better GP season, though both have a bronze GP medal. But Jason has a higher SB thank Jeremy by a few points.

I would find it surprising if Jeremy wanted to do both. It sounds like he's focused on redeeming himself from a terrible result at Vancouver (he even brought his own queen-sized air mattress) and he's made numerous references to the fact that he's "getting old." So I think he would be inclined to not wear himself out.

And welcome to Golden Skate, merinheart!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... can anyone give me a gauge on what Jason's participation at the opening ceremony means for his chance at doing the team free skate? ...

The Opening Ceremony is on Fri Feb 7. Very cool :cool: that Jason will attend.

The team Men's FS is on Sun Feb 9.

Not trying to make a prediction in Jason's case, but I think it is probable that some (but not necessarily all) of the team skaters (from any country) who expect/hope to compete on Feb 8 and/or Feb 9 will sacrifice marching in the Opening Ceremony.

ETA:

Haven't read the article, but I do recall from the USFS website that USFS allowed skaters to state their preferences re the team event -- and one of the possible preferences was to skate neither program for the team event.
USFS did not promise to abide by all the preferences, but it is at least within the realm of possibility -- although I have no knowledge either way -- that Team Jason stated a preference not to compete in the team event at all.

If Abbott skates both Men's programs for the team event, another possible reason might be that USFS decided to save its two allotted substitutions for other disciplines.​

Gymfan15

On the Ice
But if they don't split the men, that means they're splitting pairs and I love Z/B but I really don't think they deserve to have an Olympic medal over someone like Jason Brown. :( Whah whah whah.

And I highly doubt that Jason would decline to skate in the team event...it's a very big shot at a medal. You'd be kind of silly to voluntarily pass that up, especially when Jason is going mainly for experience and not for an individual medal.

ETA: If they're looking for a consistent, bank-able result, Jason is the way to go in the LP...he may not do the hardest jumps, but he is MUCH less likely to completely biff it. He doesn't really fall on jumps and typically goes quite clean. Whereas Jeremy can be really on or REALLY off depending on his mood. Much bigger chance of a low placement there.

bekalc

Record Breaker
But if they don't split the men, that means they're splitting pairs and I love Z/B but I really don't think they deserve to have an Olympic medal over someone like Jason Brown. :( Whah whah whah.

And I highly doubt that Jason would decline to skate in the team event...it's a very big shot at a medal. You'd be kind of silly to voluntarily pass that up, especially when Jason is going mainly for experience and not for an individual medal.

ETA: If they're looking for a consistent, bank-able result, Jason is the way to go in the LP...he may not do the hardest jumps, but he is MUCH less likely to completely biff it. He doesn't really fall on jumps and typically goes quite clean. Whereas Jeremy can be really on or REALLY off depending on his mood. Much bigger chance of a low placement there.

Well what if Davis/White don't want to do both. Besides the USFSA may want to go for broke in the mens-with Abbott.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well what if Davis/White don't want to do both. Besides the USFSA may want to go for broke in the mens-with Abbott.

From what I've heard, Davis and White are planning to do both.

We'll see tomorrow night at 10 p.m.!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From what I've heard, Davis and White are planning to do both.

We'll see tomorrow night at 10 p.m.!!

For you, Mrs. P, 9 pm PT (= midnight ET), right?? ;)

ETA:
I have no idea what Jason's desires/expectations are ... but marching in the Opening Ceremony at his first Olympics would be a quite a wonderful "consolation prize" -- IF(??) he ends up not competing in the team event for one reason or another.​

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't know why they would HAVE to split any discipline. It's a choice to split two, isn't it? Not a requirement.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Right, but if you've got two skaters who are going to place equally well, why not give yourself a free Olympic medal? It can mean a lot in terms of endorsements and sponsorships, not to mention personal satisfaction. Just being an Olympian has got nothing on being an Olympic medalist.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For you, Mrs. P, 9 pm PT (= midnight ET), right?? ;)

ETA:
I have no idea what Jason's desires/expectations are ... but marching in the Opening Ceremony at his first Olympics would be a quite a wonderful "consolation prize" -- IF(??) he ends up not competing in the team event for one reason or another.​

Sochi is exactly 12 hours from PST, so 10 p.m. my time. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/428590471934255104

USFigureSkating
FYI Team Event: We will announce the athletes involved in the short program at Midnight ET (10 a.m. Sochi) on Feb. 5th

Wow talk about last minute. And midnight?! :)

Sochi is exactly 12 hours from PST, so 10 p.m. my time. :)

Oyyyy, sorry, Mrs. P. You, of course, are correct (I never should have doubted you :bang: :laugh:).

But in my "defense" ;), the source of my confusion was the misleading USFS tweet above ... which led to the discussion in this thread of "midnight" drama.
So the "midnight" drama actually will be in the Central time zone, not Eastern. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

merinheart

Rinkside
Yeah I'm even more convinced now that it makes no sense for Jason to be excluded from the team event. He already said that he would love to do the team event so if he's not in then it'll be because they didn't ask him. :cry: Maybe his team feels confident that he can go to the opening ceremony and not have it negatively impact his training/prep for the team competition? Crossing my fingers anyway!

And welcome to Golden Skate, merinheart!
Thanks Mrs. P!! :biggrin: