Skaters with a shot at gold and a medal in each event | Golden Skate

Skaters with a shot at gold and a medal in each event

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Now that the Games are approaching which skaters do you believe have a shot (even if small) at a)the gold medal, b) a medal of any color, at the Games in the 4 individual disciplines. Here are mine:

Ladies:

Shots at gold- Kim, Asada, Lipnitskaia
Shots at as high as silver- Suzuki, Sotnikova
Shots at bronze- Murakami, Kostner, Gold, Wagner (maybe being generous even including Wagner at this moment)

Men:

Shots at gold- Hanyu, Chan, Takahashi (laugh but if he did pull a blinder out of nowhere, and others made mistakes it would be hard to deny him)
Shots at as high as silver- Machida, Fernandez
Shots at bronze- Plushenko, Abbott, Ten (if he pulls something out of nowhere again)

Pairs:

Shots at gold- Voloszhar & Trankov, Savchenko & Szolkowy
Shots at as high as silver- Stolbova & Klimkin, Pang & Tong
Shots at bronze- Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Barzova & Larionov

Dance:

Shots at gold- Virtue & Moir, Davis & White
Shots at as high as silver- Nobody else
Shots at bronze- Weaver & Poje, Pechalat & Bourzat, both top Russian teams, Capellini & Lanotte

andyjo24

Medalist
I am not interested in pairs or dance, and for the men, I have absolutely no clue who will medal... But for the ladies, I would say:

Gold: Yu-na, Mao, Julia, or Kostner (if completely clean with 3flip-3toe).
Silver: Suzuki, Sotnikova, Kostner.
Bronze: Suzuki, Sotnikova, Kostner, Murakami.

I honestly do not think the Americans are strong contenders for medals. Gracie has done well at Nationals but still lacks artistic-wise. Her jumps have also gotten much smaller after going to Frank although more consistent (I have seen her jumps live upfront with my very two eyes at Nationals). Ashley has not been doing too well this season, and the fact that she's going back to an old program just a few weeks before the Olympics does not bode well for her IMO.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ladies:

Shots at bronze- Murakami, Kostner, Gold, Wagner (maybe being generous even including Wagner at this moment)

Pretty much agree here, except I'd probably have Julia peaking at silver not gold. Before Euros I'd have Kostner as a potential silver but seeing as she skated clean and still lost the SP to Adelina by a good margin, I don't think she will be close enough to the leaders after the short and she is unlikely to make up ground in the long.

amc987

On the Ice
Ladies:

Gold- Kim, Asada, Kostner, Lipnitskaia
Silver- Suzuki, Sotnikova
Bronze- Murakami, Wagner, Gold

Men:
Gold- Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Takahashi
Silver- Machida
Bronze- Abbott, Ten

These lists are obviously absent the occasional Olympic surprises. I don't know who would've predicted Hughes and Kulik would be gold medalists and Wylie a silver medalist before those Olympics. On the right nights, Sotnikova and Abbott could be Olympic champions. It would just take a complete splatfest from other leading competitors (Kim and Chan would have to fall at least twice each) and Adelina and Jeremy would have to skate pristine clean programs.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
LADIES

Gold - Kim, Asada, Lipnitskaia
Any medal - Kostner, Suzuki, Sotnikova, Wagner, Gold, Murakami, and I'll include Osmond but that's a very outside shot for bronze

MEN

Gold - Chan, Hanyu, Takahashi as a long shot
Any medal - Plushenko, Reynolds, Fernandez, Machida, Yan, Abbott, Denis Ten, Brezina, Verner (the last two are very long shots, but they skated well at Euros, and if Takahashi isn't skating well, bronze seems like anybody's game.. the Czech guys have about as much chance as Plushenko in his current state, and I listed him)

PAIRS

Gold - Volosozhar/Trankov, Savchenko/Szolkowy
Any medal - Pang/Tong (I almost listed them as gold but I don't think they will be able to defeat BOTH V/T and S/S), Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Bazarova/Larionov, Stolbova/Klimov, Peng/Zhang, Berton/Hotarek (but a very small chance for this last team, especially after they didn't do that well at Euros)

DANCE

Gold - Virtue/Moir, Davis/White - pigs would fly if it was anyone else!
Any medal - Pechalat/Bourzat, Bobrova/Soloviev, Weaver/Poje, Cappellini/Lanotte, Ilinykh/Katsalapov (although I'm 90% sure it'll be one of the first two I listed)

eiriene

Rinkside
Personally, I would love to see someone like Zijun Li take the bronze medal out of "nowhere". If nothing else, it would be drama. =)

Bruin714

On the Ice
Pretty much agree here, except I'd probably have Julia peaking at silver not gold. Before Euros I'd have Kostner as a potential silver but seeing as she skated clean and still lost the SP to Adelina by a good margin, I don't think she will be close enough to the leaders after the short and she is unlikely to make up ground in the long.

I hope Kostner goes for broke and attempts the Triple Flip-Triple Toe Combo in the short.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow I thought there would be more Wagner and gold medal pushers for at least bronze. And Adelina was left out of the mix often too. Interesting. No hope at all for Osmond which is understandable.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
MEN
Gold: Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez and Ten
Silver: Takahashi and Machida
Bronze: Abbott, Yan and Plushenko

LADIES
Gold: Kim, Asada, Kostner and Suzuki
Silver: Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
Bronze: Gold, Wagner and Murakami

Tessa&Scott

Spectator
Ladies:
Gold: Kim, Asada (if she happens to land her triple axels) Lipnitskaia, Suzuki (if she skates clean and the first three make errors)
Silver: Lipnitskaia, Asada, Suzuki, Kostner
Bronze: Gold, Wagner, Kostner, Murakami

Men:
Gold: Patrick Chan
Silver: Yuzuru Hanyu
Bronze: Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown

Pairs:
Gold: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Pang/Tong
Silver: Voloszhar & Trankov
Bronze: Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch

Ice Dance:
Gold: Virtue/Moir, Davis/White
Silver: Davis/White, Virtue/Moir
Bronze: Weaver/Poje, Pechalat/Bourzat, Cappellini/Lanotte

Ven

Match Penalty
Gold is Yuna's to win or lose. She's #1, and if she goes cleanish nobody will touch her.

Mao Asada clear #2 and main challenger. Will need Yuna to make a mistake and go pristine clean herself.
Otherwise, she can't afford to be sloppy or she will be overtaken from behind.
Mao's momentum seems to have peaked earlier in the season and she's on the downtrend. Can she turn it around? Don't count her out.

Akiko Suzuki is #3 in my opinion. She proved herself at Japanese Nats, that if she goes clean she will get a monster score.
She does unfortunately have the least margin for error. I think at most she can make a small mistake in the SP, but she has to go clean in the FS.
Don't be surprised if a clean Suzuki is the one hoping to steal Gold, instead of Asada, should Yuna make errors.

Adelina and Julia are #4 and #5 in some order. Adelina's a better skater, but can she complete the FS clean? If not, she won't podium.
Julia's a weaker skater than Adelina, but more consistent.

Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner are #6 and #7 in some order. Neither are likely to medal.
Basically, both girls have to skate really well, and hope for mistakes from the others.
But if that happens, Bronze is possible and it makes sense to view that as a goal.

Carolina is the wild-card. I think because of age or injury or whatever, the game has passed her by this season.
Can she add more difficulty and score higher TES to be competitive? If she does, can she go clean?
The judges always seem to like her, but she needs to step up her game if she wants to podium.

Ven

Match Penalty
Where is Murakami? I must saying I am starting to think I am understimating her. She has had 2 really strong competitions in a row now.

She actually has 4th best odds to win OGM. I don't see it though, even if she skates her best I think she scores in 190s. Will that be good enough to medal? Probably not, but I suppose I should have put her with Gold and Wagner, because they won't break 200 either. Murakami probably has a chance at Bronze, like they do, if she skates clean and others make mistakes.

ArgieFan

Rinkside
Hi, I'm new here.
About the thread subject, I believe will occur (ladies):
1.Yuna Kim
2. Julia Lipnitskaia
3. Mao Asada

Big Deal

Final Flight
In the "ideal", very unlikely but very much "hoped for" situation if everybody skates clean ( even counting with the recent " reputation points") the chances are:
Ladies:
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Julia Lipnitskaya
3.Mao Asada ( if she succesfully goes to 2x 3 Axel, she will be 2nd).

Men:
1.Patrick Chan
2.Yuzuru Hanyu
3.Daisuke Takahashi

Dance:
1. Davis/White
2.Virtue/Moir (hate to say and hope to win with a fair PCS ponts judging)
3.Bobrova/Soloviev (also hate to say but in a different way...)

Pairs:
1.Voloshozar/Trankov (IF clean I remind you, but they are losing spaces).
2.Savchenko/Szolkowy
3.Pang/Tong ( I still would LOVE to see them win, as the most beautifully skating Pairs nowdays...)

malif

Rinkside
Now that the Games are approaching which skaters do you believe have a shot (even if small) at a)the gold medal, b) a medal of any color, at the Games in the 4 individual disciplines. Here are mine:

Ladies:
Men:
Shots at gold- Hanyu, Chan, Takahashi (laugh but if he did pull a blinder out of nowhere, and others made mistakes it would be hard to deny him)
Shots at as high as silver- Machida, Fernandez
Shots at bronze- Plushenko, Abbott, Ten (if he pulls something out of nowhere again)
Pairs:
Shots at gold- Voloszhar & Trankov, Savchenko & Szolkowy
Shots at as high as silver- Stolbova & Klimkin, Pang & Tong
Shots at bronze- Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Barzova & Larionov
Dance:
Shots at bronze- Weaver & Poje, Pechalat & Bourzat, both top Russian teams, Capellini & Lanotte

You chose a very good form of forecast presentation !
I would agree with everything, except for Kostner, Plushenko, Bazarova-Larionov, Capelinni-Lanotte. All these people have no chance even for bronze.
Also silver for Suzuki is hardly believable.
And please correct "Klimkin" to "Klimov".

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ladies:

Shots at bronze- Kostner, Gold, Wagner, Murakami
Wild card for a medal: Li

Men:

Shots at gold- Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez
Shots at as high as silver- Takahashi, Machida (he's my darkhorse to win gold, if the others mess up, but realistically he'll get silver at tops)
Shots at bronze- Abbott, Plushenko, Ten (if any of them go clean in both programs, which I doubt they will)
Wild card for a medal: Brown

Pairs:

Shots at gold- Volosozhar & Trankov, Savchenko & Szolkowy
Shots at as high as silver- None; I think the top 2 spots will be a la Ice Dance (I could picture a perfect Canadian team spoiling for silver, but it's highly unlikely)
Shots at bronze- Pang & Tong, Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Stolbova & Klimov (only with perfect skates on home ice)
Wild card for a medal: Bazarova & Larionov

Dance:

Shots at bronze- Bobrova/Soloviev (who will have to really mess up to lose bronze), Pechalat & Bourzat, Capellini & Lanotte
Wild card for a medal: Weaver & Poje

cjuarez

Rinkside
I'm so excited:yay:
Ladies Favourites in order: Yuna Mao Julia, others in order: Caro, Adelina, Akiko, Grace, Kanako, Ash, Zijun, Kate
Men Favorites Cha cha chan, Yuzu, Javi Others> Tatsuki, dai, plushy, Jeremy, Jason,
Dance 1 & 2 Boring :think:everybody knows Charles and Tessa, Battl for bronze probably Bobrova but I would like Nathalie
Pairs Boring everybodty knows 1 Trankov 2Aliona, 3 I hope pang I love miseraables:clap: