Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

seniorita

Record Breaker
No he hadnt said anything about the podium hop on hop off in any interview and I m guessing PChan and S.Moir would be undeserving flag bearers also?

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No he hadnt said anything about the podium hop on hop off in any interview and I m guessing PChan and S.Moir would be undeserving flag bearers also?

Based on their past statements, they would be undeserving, in my mind -- or rather, there are many more Canadian athletes who are more deserving. At least they've never bashed any skater (let alone their Canadian teammates) to the extent Plushenko denigrated Kovtun.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He always has been unsporty and arrogant. Remember the "sword-taking" gesture after his short program in Vancouver and the way he jumped on the empty top of the podium BEFORE the Olympic Champion Lysacek was called to step up there.... BRRRRRRRRRRR.... just sadly uneducated way to react.

He's not unsporting or arrogant. He walked continuously over the top. How dare he be happy about his performance in the sp! Do you hate fist pumping too? False lie filled press in North America is horrible! Just Cold War hate continued?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I actually thought was humorous of him. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, he said in interviews that he did that because he thought for a moment that he had won or forgot that he hadn't won or something to that effect. You can bet if it the results were reversed and Lysacek, thinking he should have won, did that to Plushenko, he would have been flayed for being disrespectful.

No I doubt it! NA probably wouldve launched a campaign trying to get lysacek the gold like sale Pelletier and he would've gotten it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No I doubt it! NA probably wouldve launched a campaign trying to get lysacek the gold like sale Pelletier and he would've gotten it.

If Lysacek had made an error (which is the only way he would have lost the gold) then he wouldn't have had a legitimate case for the gold over a clean Plushenko. S/P certainly had a legitimate case given that B/S had an error while they went clean. Also, there was that whole French judge thing... but obviously negligible. :sarcasm:

People didn't create as much of a stink after Lysacek's win, because even without a quad, the fact is that he still went clean. Not to mention, Plushenko had already had an Olympic gold medal at that point, so it's not exactly like people were weeping over him not getting a second one (particularly when he left points on the table).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He's not unsporting or arrogant. He walked continuously over the top. How dare he be happy about his performance in the sp! Do you hate fist pumping too? False lie filled press in North America is horrible! Just Cold War hate continued?

Hah, "walked continuously over the top". Seriously? He shook hands with Daisuke and then decided to step on the gold podium on his way to the silver podium. Which, you know, all the other silver medalists did.

Riiiiiight. :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko didn't think he was leaving points on the table because of the fact that he was doing a quad which had all the value of a double toe or even loop built in to his Tes already. He was 6.0 thinking in a way because he was scoring himself against others and not doing cop enough. Because obviously he didn't do a 3 jump combo all season and had no plans or intentions ever to do one.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Hah, "walked continuously over the top". Seriously? He shook hands with Daisuke and then decided to step on the gold podium on his way to the silver podium. Which, you know, all the other silver medalists did.

Riiiiiight. :laugh:

It was a continuous walk not a demonstration that was being implied by he original post of "jumped on"

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It was a continuous walk not a demonstration that was being implied by he original post of "jumped on"

He jumped on it. Everyone acknowledged it, including the IOC President. Here's a picture. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/oly...ior-only-an-expression-of-disappointment.html No other silver medalist behaved that way (as in stepped on the top step on their way to the silver spot). They shake the hands of the bronze medalist, walk over to the silver platform and step on that. I think we should just accept it as him trying to be funny, and maybe making light of his disappointment (he certainly wasn't as bad as Surya), but let's call a spade a spade here.

The man has a lot of pride (which is fine), and isn't exactly the most sportsman-like (and yes, neither is Chan or Moir). But 2010 Olympics behaviour aside, what he said about Kovtun was totally uncalled for and very un-Olympic.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^lol, that is the best!!!
Selective memory much? chan has big mouthed about fellow skaters, but I dont mind and I certainly wouldn't question his right to carry the flag, and by the way I think it is only cool when skaters do and he is a very worthy flag bearer, he s a great athlete of Canada and he has dominated FS. Plushenko would have been a great flag bearer, and was also proposed from co athletes for this.

Also Plyshenko said Kovtun messed up at worlds and they ended with one spot again while at his age was bringing medals and spots for Russia, hardly as bashing as Kovtun questioning his pcs and adding Hanyu pcs of his nationals too!!!He didn't changed his twitter status to team Olympics as well! There were certain journalists who were having Tarasova's propaganda begire RN , with everything being written I was expecting plush to tell them even worse.

chris.b

Spectator
IMO, he would have been a suitable choice for flagbearer until his comments about Kovtun.

Anyone who throws another competitor, let alone his fellow compatriot, under the bus by blaming and criticizing their past failures, is simply undeserving of the honour of being a flagbearer.

Don't you really know what is happening outside Canada, in Russia? As Senorita said, it was Kovtun first criticize Plushenko after Russian National. It is part of Tarassova's campaign against Plushenko to send Kovtun to Sochi. And also Yagudin takes part to it blaming Plushenko every time he talks or writes. So, Plushenko is only a gentlemen don't answer in a worse way. And what he said? Only that for Oly is necessary an expert skater. What else said? I don't understand, sorry. He has so many pressure. Haters in Russia, out of Russia, surgery, age, etc.. Please he's a great athlete and deserve at least to be informed before criticize him.

Also Chan, before Vancouver had a big mouth blaming Plushenko and Joubert, don't you remember? Now he's diplomatic. But I never mind it.

Anyway, come back to the topic, i think organisation's schedule is not good! I'm so sorry about it!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As I mentioned in my post I wouldn't find Chan or Moir suitable flag bearers for their remarks either.

And I don't think Kovtun criticized Plushenko the way Plushenko did. Plushenko didn't just mention he thinks someone with more international experience should go, he brought up Kovtun's Worlds result and only getting one spot. It's mud-flinging. Kovtun could have easily said he's more cut out based on Plushenko's error packed FS, and lack of international competition this year.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't really think that either Plushy's, Patrick's or Scott Moir's possible personalities - I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that most of us don't actually know them personally - should be the deciding factor in whom to choose as flag-bearer. But rather their records as athletes. We're talking about them possibly carrying a flag - I don't think it's really important whether one would wish them to come home for tea and cookies, or marry into one's family. Personally, I'm as far from a Chan fan as you could get - and I don't watch ice dance at all. Nonetheless, I'd actually be tickled pink if either Chan or Moir were chosen as flag-bearers. I think it would be a great thing for the sport we all love - whatever other differences we may have. :)

ETA & somewhat OT but... I've seen that Elene G has been chosen as flag-bearer for Georgia and Javi for Spain! Yay! :clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think part of being an athlete is respecting others in your sport, and showing sportsmanship. When you're from Canada or Russia with a couple hundred athletes, it's not like there's a shortage of candidates.

LRK

Record Breaker
But who is going to be the arbitrator of what is permissable or not? You? Me? Who?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But who is going to be the arbitrator of what is permissable or not? You? Me? Who?

Probably each country's Olympic committee. They certainly look at a variety of factors, but IMO bottom line is that a flag bearer is representative of a nation's athletes so you want somebody who is a good role model that embodies Olympic ideals, sportsmanship being one of them. Some countries obviously go for the athlete who is most popular or has had the best athletic performances. There are a variety of factors. Sportsmanship needing to be a factor is just my opinion, but I'm sure several countries take that into account when making their selection.

Great to hear about Elene and Javi! Hah, now Brian has two flagbearers as well. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I'm pretty sure that the Team USA athletes at each Games vote amongst themselves for who will be their flagbearers.
And that the same is true for some other countries.
Whether it is true for all countries, I do not know.

... I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that most of us don't actually know them personally ... I don't think it's really important whether one would wish them to come home for tea and cookies, or marry into one's family. ...

Agree that most of us don't know the three skaters personally.

That said, I would be happy to have tea and cookies with Scott and Patrick or for them to marry my nieces. And not because of their world titles, but because of who they are off the ice.
I would be thrilled if one of them is chosen as a flagbearer for the Closing Ceremony -- although in Scott's case, I hope that Tessa and he both would have the honor together.