Lutzy/Klutzy Lessons and Practices, 2/23 - 2/29 | Golden Skate

Lutzy/Klutzy Lessons and Practices, 2/23 - 2/29

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Klutzy: My first attempts at skating my re-choreographed program to the music. A bit lame, I'm afraid.

Triple Lutz: We did a bit of reworking, subbing crossovers for stroking after the first jump combo and eliminating one power three in favor of better ice coverage, and the program flowed much better and I was able to keep up with no problems. My ice coverage is solid, and my speed is so much better than it used to be. Spirals look better too. Now to just work on it over and over!I feel good about it. I'm enjoying the program, especially my comfort with the speed. I never used to be able to skate fast, so that's a big step forward.

Your turn!!! C'mon guys, Cinderella is vacationing and we have to keep this thread going!

Figureskates

On the Ice
Got blades sharpened and the left blade moves a tad before skating yesterday.

Worked on figures, crossovers, and stroking. My back felt a little tight yesterday (of course I moved a cord of wood in the morning!!) so I didn't want to push it.

Off ice today and tomorrow but have lesson on Thursday then icetime everyday right through Sunday

icer

Rinkside
Lutzy: Good toe loops this week! Still small, but starting to get more comfortable... Good progress on edges, even the back ones starting to get better. Good stroking, good flow.

Klutzy: Don't ask me about the loop jump for a long time, please. Any advice welcome.

luenatic

On the Ice
I'm really trying to learn my change-foot-spin so I can be ready for my ISI FS3 competition in the summer. We'll see.

Working on the flip a little bit with my coach. I'm almost there. My coach said I'd have the flip before I leave for Worlds. I hope she's right. :)

The MITF class last night was actually not too bad. Our coach didn't kill us by doing all the back edge pull into back 3s. Thank goodness. Instead, we're doing inside mohawk/forward inside 3s patterns.

All in all, not too bad.

Happy skating everyone. :)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Lutz Queen: Good practice and lesson today. More time in the harness, and now the salchow is not all round and spinny, the edges have the proper shape and are of equal length before I jump. It feels quite different, but I like it.

First we changed some stroking to crossovers, now some crossovers to stroking!!! :laugh: (Different spot in the program, by the way). Its coming along promisingly. It will still be a rough draft when I compete it, but that's fine. This is my smaller comp and its a relaxed one--I'm actually going to spend more of my time judging. I just want to get it out there and let it fly. I'll also do it at a little exhibition at the same rink a few days before which will be a nice way to test it out. I'm looking forward to it all.

Figureskates

On the Ice
Lesson today and we did some Salchows which still kicks butt.

KLUTZY:
On to figures. Today started the back outside figure 8. Do you people have any idea how hard these things are to do? First, holding a position for that length of time on a circle (read here not enough initial push)!! The hardest part is to stay on an outside edge, in control, and not leaning forward (insert incredible toepick scratch here)

LUTZY:
She was pleased with my forward inside and my forward outside figure 8. I was in most cases, able to hold the edge completely around the pattern without flopping onto the flat of the blade. Also my pushes have become stronger so I can almost make it all the way around a lobe.

Overall, this exercise is improving the quality of my edges. She tells me once I can master the back inside and back outside 8, I should have killer 3 turns and do a nice alternating 3 pattern.

Stay tuned.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Klutzy-As I mentioned already no more Adult group lessons at my rink:( Anyway since my boots are killing my feet I found it hard to jump yesterday. Still trying to get a full rotation on my loop jump, but no success yet! Spins were off/traveled way to much for my taste.

Lutzy-Since I keep complaining about my boots, my dear husband gave me some money that he had had been saving for a new surf board and gave it to me instead for new skates! What a wonderful guy:love:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
dhl: You're husband is an official "skating angel!!!" :love:

Synchro today was odd but fun. Odd in the respect that only three of us made it. One of our skaters is out for a bit. She coaches at another rink and two students got in her way and she fell and tore ligaments in her knee. Our synchro coach ended up going over specific bits of technique with us, which was helpful. No synchro lesson next week--she's heading back to Canada to catch Synchro Nationals. Its not a bad thing for us--its a day before the Mercer Competition, so no five AM wake-up call that day before competition!!!! :laugh: