Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor

Icey

Record Breaker
Michelle used to contribute to the Republican Party. Another Maitlin/Carvell couple ?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Eh, mixed political couples are more common than you think. I think it makes things interesting. :)

RABID

Final Flight
This thread belongs in the politics section. The Edge is confined to discussions relating exclusively to figure skating issues.

I think a thread like this could veer into politics but in of itself I don't think it is.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have visions of 'First Lady, Michelle Kwan - Pell' (not sure if Michelle took her husband's surname) dancing in my head. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This thread belongs in the politics section. The Edge is confined to discussions relating exclusively to figure skating issues.

Well, we have had previous discussions in The Edge (and in Fan Fests) of Pell's intention to run for governor. Although those threads have discussed his family's prominence in the Democratic party, I don't think they ever got into any details of what Pell's platform positions are or will be.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
One word: Wow!

Good luck Michelle Kwan's husband.. emm.... I mean Clay Pell :biggrin:

Michelle used to contribute to the Republican Party. Another Maitlin/Carvell couple ?

Michelle ("I'm a figure skater not a politician") has served in the State Department under two presidents, Bush and Obama, and three secretaries of state, Condonleezza Rice (R), Hilary Clinton (D) and John Kerry (D). I don't think think political partisanship is her thing. Dr. Rice was her first mentor, now she serves on initiatives headed by Michelle Obama.

Clay Pell is totally going to win this. :) Whoever wins the Democratic primary will win the election. (By the way, the likely Republican candidate has a background similar to Michelle's -- his parents immigrated from Hong Kong to the U.S. and he pulled himself up by his bootstraps as a first generation American.) The other two Democrats in the race are in trouble with traditional Democratic voter blocs such as organized labor and the education lobby, plus Pell apparently has the backing of many of the old guard politicians in Rhode Island politics.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have always said I see her with him to be a power couple in DC. Michelle has been a millionaire since a teenager. And an "LA Girl." I see him as more down to earth and less in love with the spotlight. Michelle loves the spotlight, that's a fact. In American politics, one must be very good looking charismatic to reach president. I see him topping out as a senator, but never president. RI is a nice state. I can see her having fun as first lady.

volk

Final Flight
Michelle ("I'm a figure skater not a politician") has served in the State Department under two presidents, Bush and Obama, and three secretaries of state, Condonleezza Rice (R), Hilary Clinton (D) and John Kerry (D). I don't think think political partisanship is her thing. Dr. Rice was her first mentor, now she serves on initiatives headed by Michelle Obama.

Clay Pell is totally going to win this. :) Whoever wins the Democratic primary will win the election. (By the way, the likely Republican candidate has a background similar to Michelle's -- his parents immigrated from Hong Kong to the U.S. and he pulled himself up by his bootstraps as a first generation American.) The other two Democrats in the race are in trouble with traditional Democratic voter blocs such as organized labor and the education lobby, plus Pell apparently has the backing of many of the old guard politicians in Rhode Island politics.

Is that necessarily a good thing?

Is that necessarily a good thing?

Mr. Pell hasn't announced any detailed platform yet, so I guess good or bad depends on one's own political bent. From all appearances he is an old-school Kennedy-Johnson-Obama progressive-liberal. The other two Democrats in the race are more centrist, I would say. They have more experience in state politics, which can be both a blessing and a curse. There is only one true conservative in the race, but he probably will not win the Republican nomination.

In any case, the governor of Rhode Island won't be bombing anyone. ;) The most important issue in the campaign is the economy and unemployment. Rhode Island has the second-highest unemployment rate in the country.

I have always said I see her with him to be a power couple in DC. Michelle has been a millionaire since a teenager. And an "LA Girl." I see him as more down to earth and less in love with the spotlight. Michelle loves the spotlight, that's a fact. In American politics, one must be very good looking charismatic to reach president. I see him topping out as a senator, but never president. RI is a nice state. I can see her having fun as first lady.

I would say rather that Michelle is at ease in the glare of public attention. Mr. Pell comes off as a teensy bit stiff and formal in public appearances and interviews. :)

I agree with your guess that the Senate is his true goal, following in the footsteps of his famous grandfather. (By the way, Clay's father said nuts to that. He went into banking instead of politics, moved to Colorado, and married a famous artist (Clay's mother).

Edited to add: OK, one more, then I'll shut up. :) Clay gave his announcement in both English and Spanish. He is also fluent in Chinese and Arabic. Here is the Spanish version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xagv9YmwbMM&feature=youtu.b

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sort of Ot, but I hope Mr. Pell can handle the constant drumming of 'Michelle Kwan's husband' in the press. Not all celebrity spouses have shown they can handle it over time. Even the Prince of Wales by some accounts felt overshadowed by his former wife, the late Diana, Princess of Wales and it has been alleged he was even jealous of the attention she received compared to him. I hope Pell takes it like the late President Kennedy seemed to. Once, he and his First Lady, Jackie went to France and he joked "I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris — and I have enjoyed it!"

Back Ot, good luck to them both in all of their endeavors, political or otherwise!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sort of Ot, but I hope Mr. Pell can handle the constant drumming of 'Michelle Kwan's husband' in the press. Not all celebrity spouses have shown they can handle it over time. Even the Prince of Wales by some accounts felt overshadowed by his former wife, the late Diana, Princess of Wales and it has been alleged he was even jealous of the attention she received compared to him. I hope Pell takes it like the late President Kennedy seemed to. Once, he and his First Lady, Jackie went to France and he joked "I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris — and I have enjoyed it!"

Back Ot, good luck to them both in all of their endeavors, political or otherwise!

As has been discussed in this and other threads, the Pell family has been one of the most prominent in Rhode Island for generations.

Among members of a skating forum such as GS, Michelle Kwan is considered to be a bigger deal than her husband.

But I bet in certain non-skating circles, Clay Pell would be considered to be a bigger deal than -- or at least as big a deal as -- his wife.

So an equally valid way of looking at the situation: If/when Pell becomes governor, let's hope that Kwan can "handle" being known as Gov. Pell's wife. She will be the one who is the spouse of the political celebrity and who is at risk of being overshadowed. :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

His family is rich in politics and power and I think some contacts with the military. This is not some guy who fell off a farm or somethingo ut of no where. Michelle just helps complete him. Her name recognition won't hurt for s ure.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I am sure Michelle will do a great job in picking out the china - probably Vera Wang :)