If Mao skated clean in 2010 | Golden Skate

If Mao skated clean in 2010

xhpx1026

Spectator
Anyone with a good understand of the COP... can you predict Mao's score would have been with a clean 3f+2lp+2lp and the 3t? :unsure:

CarneAsada

Medalist
At the Olympics, she got 4.69 and 0.44 for the 3F<-2Lo-2Lo and the 1T. At Worlds, she got 9.35 for her 3F-2Lo-2Lo and 5.4 for her 3T. Her LP score at the Olympics was 131.72. She would have gotten 141.34 had she corrected those errors and everything else was scored the same.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am going to say a 145, giving a generous PCS boost and some positive GOE on the elements. Unfortunately for her she was never winning the moment Kim's LP score was posted (having already been 5 points behind after the SP). I think the score she needed was a 155.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Olympics had much higher GOE inflation compare to world.

She would gain at least 5 points from the 3T including GOE and bonus, another 6 points for the combo.

TES boost alone should get her to 143. For PCS, a clean Mao would be somewhere between Yuna and Joannie (like in the SP)

Kim got 71.76+, Joannie got 68.48, so Mao would be around 70, giving her another 3 points boost.

I believe she would get around 146-147 max.

The difference was in GOE in jumps. She was not going to catch Kim when both had 6 triples, Kim might not have the 3As, but she had 3 2As. Mao only had 1 2A in the LP.

Her team should have prepared her for the 2A-3T and the 3S in 2010.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I think it would have been hard even with a clean skate for Asada to beat Kinm. Kim had a very difficult 3Lz-3T combo, almost all triples, except for a loop. Asada had two 3As, but no triple lutz, or triple salchow, and no 3-3. My math is awful, so I can't calculate.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Mao lost by 23 points overall. There is no way to make up 23 points with just 2 mistakes, so obviously winning was completely out of the question.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mao was closer to losing the silver medal (actually really close - if Joannie was a little more functional and had not had such a tragedy to deal with Mao actually would have been third assumingJoannie would have skated the free a little better.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Mao was preparing to attempt an 8-triple program as far back as 2008. She would've done 3F-3T instead of 3F-2Lo, 3F-3Lo as her second flip combination, and a solo 3S and 3Lz instead of 3Lo and 3T. Even if she completed all those jumps with the GOE I was mentioning earlier, she would still have lost the LP. As we all know she had given up on that goal by the Olympics and did not complete anything near that, so even someone without any math skills can figure out the outcome.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Mao was closer to losing the silver medal (actually really close - if Joannie was a little more functional and had not had such a tragedy to deal with Mao actually would have been third assumingJoannie would have skated the free a little better.

Mao had one jump that was downgraded, and singled another. I expect her two 3As saved her. Joannie had a 3-3 sequences, two the 3Lz, her main mistake was a step out of the 3F.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If mao had won in 2010 we probably wouldn't see her going for another gold in 2014. Yuna I think is doing it because she can; she knows she has a good chance. Virtue and Moir are doing it because they really want a second title but it is unlikely at this point.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
still would not ahve won
they gave Kim the OGM once her LP score flashed on the board