Skating and Eye Glasses | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating and Eye Glasses

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old. I wear them to skate - no problems. I've even competed in them. My coach asked me before the comp if I HAD to wear them. I replied, "only if you want me to see."

I'd be interested in trying to skate without them, but we'd need to empty the rink first. Could be fun!

artekgwent

Rinkside
Dear ladskater,

After I hit age 40 my eyes (always quite nearsighted) really got worse - too much computer, I think!

I have found a special solution which works well for me.

I wear my disposal contacts all the time (these are the kind you sleep in & change every week or 2 weeks - it's easy to forget I have them in).

In my real life, I play music, and bifocal glasses don't work - the music rack is too high up, not lower like a reading book. So, I had the prescription for my contact lenses about 1.0 (now, it's 2.0) less than my actual prescription. This is the same as wearing reading glasses - I can see the music.

Then I got a pair of glasses for driving & movies, etc. since with the 1.0 off my prescription I wasn't seeing distance as clearly as I needed.

Nowadays I also have inexpensive drugstore reading glasses for books & CDs with really teeny, tiny print - those go on top the contacts too.

I thought I was so smart to have figured this out for myself, but then I switched to a GREAT opthalmologist who told me that he recommends just this for lots of artists & musicians, or anyone for whom regular bifocals don't work or make then crazy.

Good luck! Everyone's eyes are different.