Competing "up" (sk8pics, take note) | Golden Skate

Competing "up" (sk8pics, take note)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Pat: My coach likes the idea of me possibly competing at the Adult Stars N' Stripes in May, but I have a question: Do you think I will be allowed to "compete up" at pre-bronze considering I have no USFS tests under my belt? I think some competitions require that you have to have passed at least the first test. Any opinions, anyone--what are your experiences? I'm in the process of requesting the brochure and I plan to ask them about it in the e-mail.

sk8pics

Rinkside
Hi Beth,

I don't know for sure, of course, but I have seen competition announcements that indicate you can skate pre-bronze without having passed the test. And occasionally I've even seen competition announcements that have a category for adults who haven't passed any tests yet.

Like you said, ask in an email. I've emailed a couple of questions and gotten pretty quick responses. They are also going to have compulsory moves, so you may be able to do something there, too. I don't know if you could skate up that far in Interpretive (normally that's listed as being Bronze and above, or having passed a certain level of dances) but you could ask about that, too. I think the decision is actually up to the referee.

I hope you are able to compete and that you have a good time! Both my competition experiences have been very positive.

Let me know what happens!

Pat