2014 Olympics Mens Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If Daisuke is clean and will be behind Plushenko I'll cry. Oh, maybe I'll cry anyway. :cry: Can't believe the end is near.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Daisuke is clean and will be behind Plushenko I'll cry.

That will never happen. Daisuke is planning a quad in both programs and Daisuke skating cleanly with the quad would blow away anything Plushenko could do at this stage. Remember Daisuke already had a 95 in the short program this year, and if he goes clean on Olympic ice it will probably be more in line with what Chan and Hanyu would get, close to 100. Plushenko will probably get another barely over 90 score if he does a clean short.

Daisuke is probably never going to skate cleanly though so you wouldnt have seen it anyway.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
That 95 was at NHK - at home where the crowd went absolutely mental over his skate, so I'm not sure it would happen here. But yeah, Daisuke going clean is unlikely, so no need to speculate.

NMURA

Medalist
Both Takahashi's quads at NHK were underrotated. They did overlook because it was in Japan and he was still considered as the #1 Japanese man. Probably he can't get away with THAT in Sochi.

Japanese men news clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey52DytOOpk

Takahashi failed every quad in seven attempts. :disapp:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That 95 was at NHK - at home where the crowd went absolutely mental over his skate, so I'm not sure it would happen here. But yeah, Daisuke going clean is unlikely, so no need to speculate.

Even if it was at NHK, scoring at the Games is always high so I am sure a clean Daisuke with a quad combo would get 97 minimum. In fact he could well beat Hanyu as his presentation would still be considered superior, and from the scores Hanyu could beat a clean Chan in the short so.....Either way no way in hell Daisuke skating cleanly with a quad would ever be below Plushenko in any program. I am sure of that. At Vancouver he barely lost to a clean Plushenko in the short while doing a triple flip combo, and that was with bogus and hugely controversial judging which had him behind freaking Lysacek (also without a quad) and was clearly rectified for the LP as even with major errors he now had higher PCS than Evan.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
So the gold medal will be decided in the short program then? Or if Patrick Chan skates the skate of his life like he did in EB?

Well, as a Canadian I will be thrilled if Canada gets its first gold in men's figure skating, but it won't be the end of the world if Yuzuru Hanyu wins gold. In fact I will be quite happy because Yuzuru is a beautiful skater to watch both off and on the ice. On the other hand Patrick's step sequences are impressive. Sigh. Too bad I can't combine their best qualities into one.

Go Canada! Go Japan!

(As for Bronze, assuming that Plushenko stay in it the entire way, he will probably get it, given Takahashi's injury this season, which is SO unfortunate.)

I pretty much agree with this entire post. And a Chan-Hanyu hybrid would be amazing!

I'm also hoping Reynolds has a great skate and can sneak into the top 6. I think he would need some 'help' from the others though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm all for the Chanyu hybrid, too! :biggrin:

I think we'll be in for a huge treat in this men's event. Where last Olympics the quads were iffy, now, they're practically mandatory, and men are landing them much more consistently. Machida and Chan in particularly have been extremely consistent with their quad this season, and Kevin Reynolds just showed that the boot problems are a distant memory for him.

Same with ladies, where a 3-3 is now the standard. And after the team ladies SP, I'm looking forward to even more perfect skates. :biggrin:

Coco Usagi

Rinkside
Evan Lysacek tweeted that Plushenko had a very rough practice and fell a lot.

How does Lysacek know this again? By the way where is Lysacek right now? He's not commentating for NBC (that honour go to Johnny Weir) so where did he get this information?

millie

Medalist
How does Lysacek know this again? By the way where is Lysacek right now? He's not commentating for NBC (that honour go to Johnny Weir) so where did he get this information?

All I know is that he was reporting from Sochi for Access Holywood on tonight's show.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Lysacek has firsthand knowledge because he is on the ground in Sochi attending practices, competition segments, etc. -- as a on-air member of NBC's Olympic coverage team. Lysacek has been appearing on the Today show (and on other NBC platforms, I guess) to preview/discuss all the Olympic skating.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
There is sooo much talent this year, I can honestly say i'm interested in ALL groups (Even the first one has Firus and Misha Ge who are nice).
At least 15 guys are Seriously good.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm so crazy nervous about this event. I won't be able to watch the final flight live tomorrow do to work - which hurts my heart (Dai and Machida)....and, I'm rooting for like 12 or more skaters, so I have no idea how I will 'fake' it once at work. Wishing all the skaters the very best!!!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Question for everyone:
If Plushenko, Fernandez, Takahashi and Machida all skate relatively cleanly, what order do you think the judges would place them in? :think:

In the SP:

Takahashi
Fernandez
Machida
Plushenko

In the LP:

Fernandez or Takahashi (not sure which)
Plushenko
Machida

I dont think Plushenko would beat any of the real contenders with all skating cleanly, and someone like Takahashi or Fernandez skating perfectly would just crush him. The reason he did well in the Team Event was he was clean in the short and close to clean in the long, and the others all messed up besides Hanyu and Reynolds (but he will beat Reynolds no problem if both skate well).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The question is asking the judges' placement. I'd say that Plushenko first and Machida last. I think if Takahashi has a clean Quad and skated his SP relatively clean as everyone else, the order could be Plushenko, Takahashi, Fernandez, and Machida.

LOL dont be stupid. Plushenko's clean short in the team event barely got over 90, and lost by 7 points to Hanyu. Takahashi would be WAY higher than that. Fernandez with 2 quads planned in the short now would easily be way above that too.

Anyone who thinks Takahashi skating cleanly with a quad could ever lose to Plushenko is high on something. Takahashi 4 years ago would have beaten a clean Plushenko with a quad-triple in both programs (considering the weaker Evan did it) had he skated cleanly WITHOUT a quad, and Plushenko is weaker than he was then.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Chanyu! How about a Chanandnyu (Chan-Fernandez-Hanyu)? Chiddy's medals/Javi's charisma/Yuzuru's innocence with a dash of Jason Brown's ponytail!

Who's everyone's bottom 6? :slink:

Chanandnyu? :laugh: How many variations did you try out before coming up with this one?

Bottom 6: So much can happen, including some major meltdown, but I could picture something like this:
25 - GODOROZHA Yakov
26 - ROMANENKOV Viktor
27 - RAKIMGALIEV Abzal
28 - RAYA Javier
29 - KERRY Brendan
30 - PARKINSON Paul Bonifacio

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm so crazy nervous about this event. I won't be able to watch the final flight live tomorrow do to work - which hurts my heart (Dai and Machida)....and, I'm rooting for like 12 or more skaters, so I have no idea how I will 'fake' it once at work. Wishing all the skaters the very best!!!

Simple, go on a super long "coffee break" HAHAHA