2014 Olympics Mens Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Thank you to whoever puts all this together ( schedules, times etc.) for us.
I can't believe it's this week, I am so excited for this!

:popcorn:

lilshorty

On the Ice
That's so weird to me. The skaters most likely to be on the top of the podium are skating in the fourth group instead of the very last group. Oh well.

Looking forward to a great men's event!

ARipp42014

Medalist
I remember 4 years ago when I was talking about the 2014 crew. What a difference 4 years make. The guys from that 2014 group in 2010 who actually made it to 2014 are Javi, Chiddy (though he was a medal contender in 2010), Amodio, D10, and Brezina. Since Vancouver:
Chiddy won 3 World titles (though the last 2 were questionable)
Javi won 2 Euro titles and a World Bronze medal last year
D10 won last year's World Silver (though should've won altogether)
Brezina finished in the top 10 all 4 WCs since Vancouver, including 2 4th place finishes (2010, 2011)
Amodio finished in the top 5 in 2012

And then you have Hanyu, who is a newbie to the big boys club :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Abbott and Brown will be fine to make the FS but Liam Firus has a good shot he will be watching fromt he sidelines. Does anyone know how he should hold up? Where are those Jenna McCorkell types when you need them:) LOL

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
No predictions from me. I'm just super excited for this event and hope everyone skates clean so there are no excuses for the judges to prop up Pluschenko. I know it sounds like I'm being bitter and vindictive but I just really think he's past his prime and doesn't really have CoP-friendly programs. There are 4 or 5 other skaters at least who I think have better programs/skills than him. Whatever happens though, still excited!

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Definitely putting the start of group 4 into my calendar. I unfortunately have a midterm at 11AM PST, but at least Yuzu, Javi and Patrick are all skating back to back so I can take a break from cramming and catch them live!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I agree!
Hmm 3 top competitors one after the other
It'd be awesome they all got on the podium!

PLYUSHCHENKO ... As admirable as his efforts are, I hope they don't inflate his scores too much. There's a lot of talented skaters I'd rather see on the podium.
I was actually hoping he'd let Kovtun have a chance too

Plush is my all time favourite, But i agree on this, Seeing him get a SP score here as high as a clean Fernandez at Euros is very worrysome, Fernandez's Short is much more difficult

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I think Abbott and Brown will be fine to make the FS but Liam Firus has a good shot he will be watching fromt he sidelines. Does anyone know how he should hold up? Where are those Jenna McCorkell types when you need them:) LOL

I only discovered Liam Firus this year at the Canadian Nationals, and was surprised just how much of a clone of Patrick Chan he was. Really, I'm not even exaggerating. Every little "trademark" move and attitude you could think of when you picture Chan, he was doing the same things.
Except he doesn't do a quad.
But still, his skating skills and transitions are way stronger than many in this field - which I'm afraid will become completely irrelevant 6 skaters later, once Plushenko has skated and led to any notion of Skating Skills and Transitions being erased for the entire competition.
... so to answer your question: no idea! ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
This draw is entertaining stuff!

Where's my popcorn.
:popcorn:

I love the Olympics- the world's best Reality TV show!

vegarin

On the Ice
Whee! Wow, they sure packed it with talented skaters. The list is impressive. It really is going to be a wild ride. :popcorn:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I only discovered Liam Firus this year at the Canadian Nationals, and was surprised just how much of a clone of Patrick Chan he was. Really, I'm not even exaggerating. Every little "trademark" move and attitude you could think of when you picture Chan, he was doing the same things.
Except he doesn't do a quad.
But still, his skating skills and transitions are way stronger than many in this field - which I'm afraid will become completely irrelevant 6 skaters later, once Plushenko has skated and led to any notion of Skating Skills and Transitions being erased for the entire competition.
... so to answer your question: no idea! ;)
Liam kind of reminded me of Jeffrey Buttle for some reason actually :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope Brendan Kerry gets the PCS he deserves and not the "you're from a little country stuff you" PCS!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I predict that Chan stumbles out of the Quad, stumbles out of the 3Axel, but manages to do a clean 3Lutz+3Toe and is marked as 4th in the SP when he really should be marked as 7th.

bixby

Final Flight
I predict that Chan stumbles out of the Quad, stumbles out of the 3Axel, but manages to do a clean 3Lutz+3Toe and is marked as 4th in the SP when he really should be marked as 7th.

Same feeling, but I hope everyone skates their BEST. But if it doesn't happened for Patrick I won't feel bad either... I'm aware of how good he can be but I find myself not rooting for him because of his attitude.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I am very curious which Patrick Chan will show up in this defining moment of his career. At the moment I kind of see the momentum with Yuzuru. But if Patrick manages cleanliness....I don't know. In our media Yuzuru is just an afterthought, the main focus lies on Plushenko - and then they see Patrick as the favourite for Gold. Maybe it is similar in other countries media. So Yuzuru still has the underdog image, when he really shouldn't have it. But in the end he seems the most relaxed. I think he is mentally stronger than the others. In the end I want the best to win. I'll accept any worthy OGM. Still wishing for Daisuke on that podium, but...you know. Wishful thinking. I wonder if everything will be decided in the short already. Oh, this is too exciting.

lady_bee

Medalist
WOW! What an exciting list.
I was hoping I could have some time for sleep, because it starts midnight here,
but I 've found my favorite skaters in every group.
I am too old for over night and I have work on the same day:cry:

Anyway I will be awake for Group 4, at least, and hopefuly 2.
I hope Jeremy isn't traumatized to skate with Plushenko.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Evan Lysacek tweeted that Plushenko had a very rough practice and fell a lot.

Plushenko having rough practice. 4T looks đź‘Ť 3axel giving him trouble. Have never seen him fall so much. Worried bout his back. Careful Plush

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WOW! What an exciting list.
I was hoping I could have some time for sleep, because it starts midnight here,
but I 've found my favorite skaters in every group.
I am too old for over night and I have work on the same day:cry:

Anyway I will be awake for Group 4, at least, and hopefuly 2.
I hope Jeremy isn't traumatized to skate with Plushenko.

I feel your pain lady_bee. It's 2am here, and I have to be at work at 8:30am. So I won't be getting up for the SP. But the LP is 2am on the Saturday. ALL NIGHTER HERE I COME!

EDIT:

Lynn Rutherford just tweeted that Plushenko fell twice, on the 3A and the 4T but landed both jumps after. That's hardly a lot, Lysacek.