Which skater's performance at Sochi 2014 is most likely to boost the sports popularity? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Which skater's performance at Sochi 2014 is most likely to boost the sports popularity?

MiRé

Match Penalty
Julia because she'll become the scapegoat of Russia's obvious unfair judging. SLC once again!

Becki

Medalist
Julia because she'll become the scapegoat of Russia's obvious unfair judging. SLC once again!

Unfortunately, no casual spectator would question her marks. She performed a clean program and was rightfully first. But I still think her PCs are out of this world.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, no casual spectator would question her marks. She performed a clean program and was rightfully first. But I still think her PCs are out of this world.

A lot of casual viewers, and I mean those who only watches figure skating during Olympics, thought Julia is the best skater ever, especially her coin-spitting spin positions (thanks Frank Carroll!). Some also wondered how Mao received such "high" marks for doing nothing impressive to make up for her 3A fall.

UnChosen

On the Ice
A lot of casual viewers, and I mean those who only watches figure skating during Olympics, thought Julia is the best skater ever, especially her coin-spitting spin positions (thanks Frank Carroll!). Some also wondered how Mao received such "high" marks for doing nothing impressive to make up for her 3A fall.

Well, skating clean isn't the only thing that impresses casual viewers. Skaters also have to perform TO the audience as well.

Assuming all the skaters skates clean, I would predict that most casual viewers would prefer Murakami, Brown, and Pang/Tong. Too bad all three of them have no where near the scoring potentials compared to the favorites.

So basically I think NONE of the Sochi performances would boost the popularity of the sport. All of the performers don't have enough tech or can't land them consistently, while the high scorers don't have enough performing ability / star power.

I miss skaters like Kwan, Shen / Zhao, Cohen, and Buttle so much. :cry:

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

The question is how clean it is. More importantly how superior it is to others comparatively.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
That's why judges are there in addition to the COP system, not a system to collect the viewers opinions. And if you say nothing impressive of Asada's skating except 3A, while you are able to appreciate Julia, it means something wrong with your expertise of figure.

Panini

On the Ice
That's why judges are there in addition to the COP system, not a system to collect the viewers
opinions. And if you say nothing impressive of Asada's skating except 3A, while you are able to appreciate Julia, it means something wrong with your expertise of figure.

I think the point people are trying to make is that casual viewers won't find Julia winning to be outrageous, and her win would probably boost the sport's popularity. Does that mean the scoring is fair or correct? Probably not, but it won't be another SLC scandal because most people don't know and don't care how COP works.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I think the point people are trying to make is that casual viewers won't find Julia winning to be outrageous, and her win would probably boost the sport's popularity. Does that mean the scoring is fair or correct? Probably not, but it won't be another SLC scandal because most people don't know and don't care how COP works.

How people respond to a 15 yr old is predictable. they will embrace her and cherish her, rightfully so, but unless her skating shows real qualities except her spins, it cannot be sustainable even if she win multiple times in the ISU events while judges are willing to prop her up.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
It wasn't me. The question about Mao's scores was posted on a forum mainly about eSports (professional video gaming); there's only one thread for the whole Sochi Olympics. I was using that as an example of how a casual viewer saw things. The same guy also asked what the bonus timer was. Definitely a casual, unless he was trolling.

Manitou

Medalist
Yulia, Gracie and Jason.

Karolina and Yuna symbolize stagnation for me. Static performances and static characters. Public wants radiant youth and explosive energy.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
based from what we've seen from team event, Julia and Gracie
Yuzu for the men, maybe Jason for North America

vegarin

On the Ice

Sad, but true. Still, I'd still be upset if a Clean Julia beats Clean Yuna or Clean Mao or Clean Carolina. I don't care of Julia is brimming with youthful energy, how she looks good enough to be the winner -- she is fantastic, but even then she's still not the skater that the these top three legends are, and have been, for over the last eight years. You can actually see the difference with naked eyes, and the PCS she received seems unearned and untested, as of yet. It'd be a different story if the top three, plus Akiko and others have a collective meltdown and Julia puts forth the best performance ever, but otherwise, if she wins over the old veterans when they are equally good, I would personally be upset. Not that anyone would care, but still.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Sad, but true. Still, I'd still be upset if a Clean Julia beats Clean Yuna or Clean Mao or Clean Carolina. I don't care of Julia is brimming with youthful energy, how she looks good enough to be the winner -- she is fantastic, but even then she's still not the skater that the these top three legends are, and have been, for over the last eight years. You can actually see the difference with naked eyes, and the PCS she received seems unearned and untested, as of yet. It'd be a different story if the top three, plus Akiko and others have a collective meltdown and Julia puts forth the best performance ever, but otherwise, if she wins over the old veterans when they are equally good, I would personally be upset. Not that anyone would care, but still.

I agree. I really think at this point bronze is hers to lose, but if she places higher than Mao and/or Yuna without significant mistakes on their part I would hate it because the win would then be tainted. Regarding a clean Carolina and clean Julia there is a gap on the technical side and a gap on the components side so it depends who uses their strength to best effect.

Personally I would have had Carolina's component score be two points higher in the SP than it was in the team event. In the LP, Julia's components are better especially when she skates like she did at Euro's so if Carolina skates really well, then I would put Julia at 69 and Carolina at 73 maybe 74. But then there's a huge technical gap in the FS, even if both go clean.

It's hard to say what Carolina's BV would be because at Euro's she made so many mistakes but as far as I can tell her BV would only be 53 points, then even with great GOE for some elements performed better (Julia triple-flip 0.70, Carolina triple loop 1.40) she'll still be behind Julia with 3 edge calls. Carolina had 61 TES and 71 PCS at 2013 worlds. If we inflate Carolina's PCS by a further 5 points, she'll still be behind Julia.

SP Carolina TES 35, Julia TES 39
SP Carolina PCS 36, Julia PCS 32 (basically they're tied at 71)

LP Carolina TES 63, Julia TES 72
LP Carolina PCS 73 , Julia PCS 67 (Carolina at 136, Julia at 139)