Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals | Golden Skate

Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
New tweet from Mirai and post on her FB account!

https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu
Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu 23m
Please read my thoughts if you have time
https://www.facebook.com/mirai.nagas...51835277226673

I want to take this moment to thank everyone, fellow skaters and fans of the sport, who have reached out to me to offer support after the US championships. Not being chosen to represent the United States at the Olympic Games in Sochi and at the 2014 World Championships in Japan has been extremely disappointing to me, and it has been very difficult for me to process.
I know that I performed my best at the US Championships in Boston. I am proud of the way I skated and of being awarded the Bronze Medal.
The 2010 Olympics in Vancouver was one of the best experiences of my life and I am proud that I finished in 4th place. For the past four years my goal had been to make the Olympic Team again and pick up where I left off.
Not being selected to this year’s team was devastating and I remain confused by US Figure Skating’s decision to not select me for the 2014 Olympic or World teams. Once I have time to fully process the impact of these decisions, I do know it will renew a fire inside of me. My Olympic journey does not end here. I will continue to work hard, to train and grow and improve as a skater and realize my dream of once again representing the United States at an Olympic Games. In the immediate, I will jump back into my training in the event that I should be needed in my role as alternate for the Olympics or World Championships.
Most importantly, I want to wish Gracie, Polina, Ashley and the rest of the US Team the best of luck at the 2014 Olympic Games. Representing your country at the Olympics is one of the biggest honors and best experiences in an athlete’s life, and I hope they all do well and have a great time. I will be watching and cheering them on.

I don't care what the naysayers say about the controversy - I'm not going to respond to them anymore. For my own part - I am damn proud of Mirai and as someone said in another forum or it may have been on Facebook - 'she earned her place on that Olympic team and even more so the Worlds team - I saw her earn it on the ice.'

Mirai is a classy young lady. Pure class. Too bad her federation hasn't treated her with the respect she deserved over the years.

Whatever comes next season, and beyond, I'll still be here cheering for Mirai all of the way. You're a Rock Star Mirai! :rock:

russell30

Final Flight
I respect Mirai so much as a person and an athlete, I can see it was hard for the Federation, but I think NOW for the federations its best to look at seasons results rather then naming athletes to the BIG tournaments just on National's results like it was a few years ago, depth is so strong now in most established countries and countries that invest a lot of money in skating.

If I was on the federation I would have named Ashley on the Olympic team along with Polina and Gracie, but I would have chosen Mirai for Worlds along with Polina and Gracie - I would have thought that would have seemed a fair decision.

Mirai, you are one classy lady all the way! :love:

Classy ? I'd say she's most of all deluding herself.

I don't think she'll make the team next time either if she couldn't manage it this time.
USFSA anyway doesn't trust her anymore after all her bad skates since the 2010 OG.
Plus she never tried to fix her UR and was a better artistic skaters as a youngster than now.

Too late, hope she'll be happy in her life post skating.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If I was on the federation I would have named Ashley on the Olympic team along with Polina and Gracie, but I would have chosen Mirai for Worlds along with Polina and Gracie - I would have thought that would have seemed a fair decision.
The concern would be that Polina would not finish high enough coupled with Gracie to ensure 3 skaters for 2015 Worlds if Mirai were sent based upon her very inconsistent results, inconsistent rotation of her jumps and her inability to hit when she absolutely must (2011 Worlds LP, 2012 Nationals, 2013 Nationals). Worlds 2014 are almost more important than the Olympics as they are the end of the quad and set up the federation for the next quad. If Mirai went to Worlds with Gracie and Polina (instead of Ashley), Gracie would almost HAVE TO win in order to make sure there were 3 spots for 2015 as Polina will be top 10 at best and if Mirai skates like she did at 4CC, she won't make the cut for the LP. Asking Gracie to win in Japan with Mao skating her farewell Worlds (at home) along with Suzuki and Murakami (unless she changes her mind) and the Russian ladies is a tall task...

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad to hear that Mirai is not retiring and will continue to skate. Perhaps she can go back to basics, fix her UR issue and recapture her passion for skating.

A lot can happen in 4 years and if she comes back and proves herself in the next quad, she may get to go the Olympics when she's 24.

Yes, it's a long shot but skating careers have ups and downs and I will be watching her with interest until she decides it's time to retire.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nicely stated though to be honest it is a preapred statement so they tend to be politically and pr smart. I was surprised she committed herself to another olympics though (sure it is a skater;s perrogative to change their mind) but to be bold when the season isn't over. And four years is a long time - if she is not self sufficient her parents might have a say. And with skating not having a huge future for most she might wnat to get some work skills.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The concern would be that Polina would not finish high enough coupled with Gracie to ensure 3 skaters for 2015 Worlds if Mirai were sent based upon her very inconsistent results, inconsistent rotation of her jumps and her inability to hit when she absolutely must (2011 Worlds LP, 2012 Nationals, 2013 Nationals). Worlds 2014 are almost more important than the Olympics as they are the end of the quad and set up the federation for the next quad. If Mirai went to Worlds with Gracie and Polina (instead of Ashley), Gracie would almost HAVE TO win in order to make sure there were 3 spots for 2015 as Polina will be top 10 at best and if Mirai skates like she did at 4CC, she won't make the cut for the LP. Asking Gracie to win in Japan with Mao skating her farewell Worlds (at home) along with Suzuki and Murakami (unless she changes her mind) and the Russian ladies is a tall task...

I have seen no one on this board express a thought that she should have been sent to Worlds instead of Ashley. The idea has been that she should have been sent to Worlds, and Polina to Junior Worlds, which she had a chance to win.

In addition, it's an exaggeration to say Mirai would not have made the cut for the LP based on her 4CC performance. While theoretically possible if EVERY other skater skated their best, in reality, there are many weaker skaters than Mirai who will be going to Worlds from much weaker feds than the USA.

seniorita

Record Breaker
She is my fav USA lady since I saw her in Vancouver and I m looking forward to seeing her back on top!

flutzy13

On the Ice
Agreed, I didn't find it "classy" or "not classy" but rather somewhat boilerplate.

I think the actual content is fine but the timing (i.e. approximatly less than 2 days before most of the team departs for Sochi) will not make USFSA happy. I'm sure they want all the coverage to be Go Team USA, which is understandable. Mirai putting out a longer statement throws them right back into the post-Boston controversy.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Classy ? I'd say she's most of all deluding herself.

I don't think she'll make the team next time either if she couldn't manage it this time.
USFSA anyway doesn't trust her anymore after all her bad skates since the 2010 OG.
Plus she never tried to fix her UR and was a better artistic skaters as a youngster than now.

Too late, hope she'll be happy in her life post skating.

This post is definitely not classy.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I have seen no one on this board express a thought that she should have been sent to Worlds instead of Ashley. The idea has been that she should have been sent to Worlds, and Polina to Junior Worlds, which she had a chance to win.

In addition, it's an exaggeration to say Mirai would not have made the cut for the LP based on her 4CC performance. While theoretically possible if EVERY other skater skated their best, in reality, there are many weaker skaters than Mirai who will be going to Worlds from much weaker feds than the USA.

There have been a NUMBER of people who have said that Mirai should go to Worlds instead of Ashley (give Wagner the "reward" for being the best lady over the last couple seasons, send Nagasu to Worlds). That would be suicide for USFS for '15 and beyond.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Then what you do is send Nagasu in place of Edmunds, if at all.

Not surprised when she says she is disappointed/confused by decision. Tells me the decision wasn't explained any more clearly to her than it was to us.

Hopefully this controversy forces change in the selection procedures moving forward.

gottadance

On the Ice
this is a sad situation indeed and one feels for Miarai BUT what so many people and media ( uninformed as usual ) are missing is that the USFSA made it very clear months in advance that the selection process would include an evaluation of the " body of work" from the previous year's US Nationals through the current year's Grand Prix. It seems Mirai wasn't aware of that and I do feel that it is the responsibility of any athlete to be current on this sort of thing for their own good.
I also agree that while classy in content, the post is poorly timed .

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Not surprised when she says she is disappointed/confused by decision. Tells me the decision wasn't explained any more clearly to her than it was to us.

The men's and pairs assignments made it seem like even more of a snub to Mirai.