Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mirai posts her thoughts on Nationals

R.D.

Record Breaker
The men's and pairs assignments made it seem like even more of a snub to Mirai.

And that is my issue with this whole thing: they weren't consistent in their decision-making. How can one do this and not expect casual fans to smell a rat?

Icey

Record Breaker
For someone who is social media savvy, can they ask her who is coaching her now in case she has to go as a replacement and what are her coaching plans next year?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Such a lovely, classy statement. Still expressing her disappointment, but with a positive attitude. I hope she does continue on, considering her GP medal and US Nationals performances.

noskates

Record Breaker
It was clearly a prepared statement. But I remember clearly reading in the Boston newspaper after the ladies skated Mirai making a statement about hoping she would get the assignment and that it wasn't a sure thing. We've also heard from other skaters, most recently Jason Brown, that it wasn't a sure thing that you would be picked and he wasn't sure until he got the text that he'd been chosen. We were also told by a coach sitting behind us at Nats that in meetings the skaters had been told the selection would not necessarily depend on where you ended up at Nats. So I think Mirai knew. I would have sent her to Worlds instead of Polina and sent Polina to Jr. Worlds. BUT....no one asked me.

I do think it was nice (not sure classy is the word) that Mirai released this statement. However, as seen in this thread, she's just started the fires up again by expressing her disappointment and acting like it was a surprirse.

I am glad to hear she's not quitting skating. I hoped this would be the case. And the best thing she could do now is find a coach, stick with that coach, and work her butt off to prove her SP and LP at Nats wasn't a fluke. Having said that, I wonder if she'll get any GP assignments.....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That Mirai still does not understand why she didn't make the Olympic and World team is a concern. If she doesn't see that her inconsistent results over the past year since Worlds 2013 were what weighed against her, then she won't know what has to change for the future.

She can't wait until a few months before the 2018 Olympics to prepare in earnest for 2018 Nationals. Every season leading up to 2018, she has to go to her GP events prepared to compete for the podium, and do the same for each Nationals. She has to look as if she enjoys skating, not as if she wishes she was anywhere but out on the ice as she has been for the past three years.

To do all that, she needs a strong coach that she can stick with and work hard under, consistently.

Then maybe her dream will come true.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That Mirai still does not understand why she didn't make the Olympic and World team is a concern. If she doesn't see that her inconsistent results over the past year since Worlds 2013 were what weighed against her, then she won't know what has to change for the future.

She can't wait until a few months before the 2018 Olympics to prepare in earnest for 2018 Nationals. Every season leading up to 2018, she has to go to her GP events prepared to compete for the podium, and do the same for each Nationals. She has to look as if she enjoys skating, not as if she wishes she was anywhere but out on the ice as she has been for the past three years.

To do all that, she needs a strong coach that she can stick with and work hard under, consistently.

Then maybe her dream will come true.

I'm sure she knows why she didn't make the team. And I agree -- hopefully this was a bit of a lesson for her to excel in the seasons prior to the Olympics so that she appears more favourable when Nationals comes around. That being said, she wasn't purposely trying to get mediocre results the past few seasons, and it's not like Ashley getting really good results helped her cause.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I still don't understand the huge fuss- accordnig tot he rules we should be able to see how Mirai might not make the team. Yes, it may be sad but the rules are the rules. We'll see if she makes it or continues on for four years. I really wonder though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wanted to note one person who commented on the status:

Rohene Ward: spoken like a true champion!!!! such grace you have!!! wishing you the best of luck in the years to come!! i am a huge fan!!!!

Totally shipping for Mirai to go Kori and be Jason Brown's training mate and to get Rohene Ward choreography. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The concern would be that Polina would not finish high enough coupled with Gracie to ensure 3 skaters for 2015 Worlds if Mirai were sent based upon her very inconsistent results, inconsistent rotation of her jumps and her inability to hit when she absolutely must (2011 Worlds LP, 2012 Nationals, 2013 Nationals). Worlds 2014 are almost more important than the Olympics as they are the end of the quad and set up the federation for the next quad. If Mirai went to Worlds with Gracie and Polina (instead of Ashley), Gracie would almost HAVE TO win in order to make sure there were 3 spots for 2015 as Polina will be top 10 at best and if Mirai skates like she did at 4CC, she won't make the cut for the LP. Asking Gracie to win in Japan with Mao skating her farewell Worlds (at home) along with Suzuki and Murakami (unless she changes her mind) and the Russian ladies is a tall task...

I would have given Polina the Olympics and Mirai the Worlds, or vice versa, but more likely that way. I would have never left Ashley off either team, which would have been incredibly stupid to do.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I have seen no one on this board express a thought that she should have been sent to Worlds instead of Ashley. The idea has been that she should have been sent to Worlds, and Polina to Junior Worlds, which she had a chance to win.

Agreed. It would have made perfect sense to send Polina to the Games but to Junior Worlds instead of Senior Worlds , and atleast give Mirai Worlds when she was going to be bumped off the Olympic Team.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Totally shipping for Mirai to go Kori and be Jason Brown's training mate and to get Rohene Ward choreography. :)

What a nice fantasy -- maybe a glimmer of hope it could really happen.

If Mirai could pull off that kind of choreography, I couldn't care less whether or not she rotates the jumps.

ivy

On the Ice

Rohene Ward: spoken like a true champion!!!! such grace you have!!! wishing you the best of luck in the years to come!! i am a huge fan!!!!

I think that would be great too!! I like Rohene even more now

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

If Mirai could pull off that kind of choreography, I couldn't care less whether or not she rotates the jumps.

Yes, totally. Sometimes it takes just the right choreographer to bring out the best in you.

But for me, I think Kori had the perfect type of personality to coach Mirai. Kori also knows what it's like for people to doubt her/underestimate her and has had her share of naysayers over the years.

Also it's worth noting that Jason also struggled with URs, though not as a chronic as Mirai's. I remember at a JGP in Japan back in 2010 he like like 7 < between two segments of the competition. Part of the struggle was due to a growth spurt (he had grown 4 inches between nationals in 2010 and that JGP). He also had a slight flutz during his junior career.

But you never hear about that now....Kori did a great job managing Jason's growth spurt and helping him get over any major issues that could have become chronic issues in seniors. Tackling Mirai's UR problem would be a greater challenge, but I think if anyone can hack (in the good sense) a strategy to conquer it, it's Kori.

And Mirai also brings something to the table -- fairly good speed and ice coverage, two things that I think Jason needs to up his game more.

tulosai

Record Breaker
And the best thing she could do now is find a coach, stick with that coach, and work her butt off to prove her SP and LP at Nats wasn't a fluke. Having said that, I wonder if she'll get any GP assignments.....

The top 24 seasons best and worlds best are guaranteed one slot (you are not guaranteed 2 slots if you are on both lists though). Mirai is currently 22 on the world rankings list and may be passed over on that one by seasons end. However, she is 19 on the seasons best scores list and it is unlikely (almost impossible) that 6 people will pass her on that list- the number necessary to knock her out of the top 24. She should be guaranteed one assignment.

noskates

Record Breaker
Thanks Tulosai I don't think I ever knew how skaters got these assignments. I do hope Mirai gets one though - and skates "lights out!"

Good suggestion about her going to Kori. It almost seems like, from what everyone is speculating, that Mirai does need that mothering figure. However, Kori has known Jason since he was 5 years old and maybe her relationship with other skaters won't be the same. But she does seem to be calm. I agree that Rohene is an excellent and refreshing choreographer. But isn't he planning on competing next year? I wonder how much free time he'll have from his own preparation. I'm going to assume he's a lock for Jason's choreography. I would think that both he and Kori are pretty marketable for taking on skaters. I wonder if the Broadmoor is rethinking their statement that they didn't need any additional pros at their rink! Heh! Heh!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Classy ? I'd say she's most of all deluding herself.

I don't think she'll make the team next time either if she couldn't manage it this time.
USFSA anyway doesn't trust her anymore after all her bad skates since the 2010 OG.
Plus she never tried to fix her UR and was a better artistic skaters as a youngster than now.

Too late, hope she'll be happy in her life post skating.

Troll alert. :rolleye:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks Tulosai I don't think I ever knew how skaters got these assignments. I do hope Mirai gets one though - and skates "lights out!"

Good suggestion about her going to Kori. It almost seems like, from what everyone is speculating, that Mirai does need that mothering figure. However, Kori has known Jason since he was 5 years old and maybe her relationship with other skaters won't be the same. But she does seem to be calm. I agree that Rohene is an excellent and refreshing choreographer. But isn't he planning on competing next year? I wonder how much free time he'll have from his own preparation. I'm going to assume he's a lock for Jason's choreography. I would think that both he and Kori are pretty marketable for taking on skaters. I wonder if the Broadmoor is rethinking their statement that they didn't need any additional pros at their rink! Heh! Heh!

Yes, it does seem that Kori tends to take students early on. Jordan Moeller has been with her for some time and she has several students in the lower levels (juvenile/intermediate), but it would be interesting for her to take on another elite skater. Jordan Moeller is getting there, but really, Jason is it for her as far as elite skaters.

Also I think taking on Mirai would provide Kori with a new challenge in her coaching career. The advantage she had with Jason and Jordan is that she was there from the beginning to craft their technique/training. With Mirai, she now has the challenge of figuring out how to destroy old habits and build positive ones that will help her career.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
This post is definitely not classy.

That one's a troll if ever there was one. Yet another addition to my Ignore list. Misery loves company. Bliss. :biggrin:

My, aren't you all sunshine and rainbows. :sarcasm:

Such a lovely, classy statement. Still expressing her disappointment, but with a positive attitude. I hope she does continue on, considering her GP medal and US Nationals performances.

I hope Mirai stays in too. Mind you, I'm not blinded by admiration for Mirai. She still has inconsistency and especially UR issues. Perhaps now that she seems to have Coach Mura in her corner she can attack this and other things. Hopefully once she gets herself into top condition she can start re-introducing harder content in her programs - like getting the 3Lz-3T back. There were practice reports from Nationals that Mirai was doing triple Salchows again. I remember one fan described them as 'beautiful Salchows'. If this is true, then she should consider getting back to a 7 triple program. Imo she will never be competitive with the top skaters again if she doesn't bring the tough stuff back again. And then there is the problem of her programs. I don't know if it's simply that she can't afford the best choreographers - but she's got to try and find a way to create suitable programs with plenty of transitions. If endurance is an issue for her then once again she has got to work on that.

I'm sure she knows why she didn't make the team. And I agree -- hopefully this was a bit of a lesson for her to excel in the seasons prior to the Olympics so that she appears more favourable when Nationals comes around. That being said, she wasn't purposely trying to get mediocre results the past few seasons, and it's not like Ashley getting really good results helped her cause.

People also seem to forget that after 2011 4CCs, Mirai had a SECOND growth spurt to deal with. She clearly filled out into a more womanly, sturdy, athletic frame after the Vancouver Olympics. She had only just recovered in time for those Games from her previous growth spurt in 2009. That had to be some kind of factor in her jumping issues, had to be. I think she is only now gotten used to her new frame.

My heart goes all a flutter at this! One can dream! I think it'd be great too if Mr. Mura could somehow stay on as a sort of consulting coach for Mirai. He did wonders for her imo after Rostelecom and just before Nationals.

At one of the press conferences at Nationals Mirai said that she trained in Japan and Arizona partly to get away from 'her comfort zone'. I think this was a very good step towards growing up and taking control of her life and training situation as far as she is able. And by her statement I take it that her parents are supportive of her decision - after all, AFAIK they support her primarily financially in her skating endeavors.

Yes, totally. Sometimes it takes just the right choreographer to bring out the best in you.

But for me, I think Kori had the perfect type of personality to coach Mirai. Kori also knows what it's like for people to doubt her/underestimate her and has had her share of naysayers over the years.

Also it's worth noting that Jason also struggled with URs, though not as a chronic as Mirai's. I remember at a JGP in Japan back in 2010 he like like 7 < between two segments of the competition. Part of the struggle was due to a growth spurt (he had grown 4 inches between nationals in 2010 and that JGP). He also had a slight flutz during his junior career.

But you never hear about that now....Kori did a great job managing Jason's growth spurt and helping him get over any major issues that could have become chronic issues in seniors. Tackling Mirai's UR problem would be a greater challenge, but I think if anyone can hack (in the good sense) a strategy to conquer it, it's Kori.

And Mirai also brings something to the table -- fairly good speed and ice coverage, two things that I think Jason needs to up his game more.

Mirai used to have great speed across the ice - perhaps that's something that she could get back too with the right coach. She had to deal with not one but two growth spurts, first in 2009 and then again sometime after 2011 4CCs - by the time she showed up at 2012 Nationals she had noticeably changed physically, and had a more mature womanly figure. I believe this too affected her jumps and consistency.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
People forget that Shizuka Arakawa was left off the 2002 Olympic team for Yoshie Onda, after having gone in 1998. She was 21 years old. She returned to the Olympics at 25, and won. Amazing what "a little bit of failure" can do.