New Sarah Article | Golden Skate

New Sarah Article

shine

Record Breaker
She seems to lead a pretty relaxed life for a first-year university student thinking of going into pre-med at Yale.

bronxgirl

Medalist
she'd better start gearing up for chemistry, calculus and physics classes if she's serious about pre-med. they're requirements for all US med shcools (and I'd imagine for non US schools as well). No school will let her get a "pass" (no pun intended) on these courses olympic medalist or not.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nysk8r, thanks for the article. It was wonderful to read about all the things going on with Sarah. She is a pretty amazing person for being just a teenager still. It sounds like she is on the right road and what great parents she has. I admire her so much.

Dee

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
She's a rock star. I love her attitude and have no doubt that she'll do well at whatever she puts her mind to. I think she'll have a great time along the way, too.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that Sarah is really smart in not starting off with the premed requirements in her freshman year. It's better to wait until your second year to take those and get the partying and socializing out of the way in the freshman year. Plus the requirements are only 2 years and Sarah probably already took AP tests for most of them so she might not have as many to take.

You can also major in something totally different and take the requirements after you graduate school , as there are many schools which offer post-bac premed programs for that purpose (NYU is one of those schools and the students in the program were very successful in obtaining admittance).

I really envy Sarah. She truly epitomizes having it all (OGM and Ivy League education).

eliza88

On the Ice
Thanks for the link!

I have been wanting a Sarah update and this was really a wonderful article! The best part of all is that she seems very happy and content...

I would still love to see her back on the ice WHEN she is ready!

eliza88

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well, she's got a poster of Clay Aiken on her wall, so she just made my "A" list............:D 42

bronxgirl

Medalist
soogar said:
I think that Sarah is really smart in not starting off with the premed requirements in her freshman year. It's better to wait until your second year to take those and get the partying and socializing out of the way in the freshman year. Plus the requirements are only 2 years and Sarah probably already took AP tests for most of them so she might not have as many to take.

It's not that Sarah doen't have the capability to become a fine physician, its just that organic chem profs tend not to care if you won an OGM or not. They just want to know if you know the correct orbital for the molecule in question.
The requirements also usually take 3 years, unless you have a masochistic streak to try to cram it all into 2.
I wish her all the best in fulfilling whatever career plans she decides upon.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
It's not that Sarah doen't have the capability to become a fine physician, its just that organic chem profs tend not to care if you won an OGM or not. They just want to know if you know the correct orbital for the molecule in question.

I'm sure she's quite aware of that, just like her family and all those who surround her LOL

Thank you for the link, Sarah truly has the 'whole package'. It amazes me how a high profile athlete seems so balanced, it's so rare. I do wish her all the luck in the world, she deserves to be happy and she sure works for it :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Well, she's got a poster of Clay Aiken on her wall, so she just made my "A" list............:D 42

ITA! LOL

Gotta love a fellow Clay fan, eh? ;)

ouridol

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing. That was a great read! Sarah seems to be having a great time, and I wish her the best of luck in the future--skating or not. :D

shine

Record Breaker
soogar said:

I really envy Sarah. She truly epitomizes having it all (OGM and Ivy League education).
The question is, would she have gotten into ivy league if it weren't for her OGM.

I didn't know freshment year was the socializing, partying year. Other than the fourth year, shouldn't it be the hardest year to get through because of the drastic transition from high schhool in terms of studying habits, work load and being totally on your own, and everything else? But what do I know, perhaps it's different for ivy league schools.
And Hughes must be one d*mn genius to use to train as much as she did and still did all te AP courses.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
I think Sarah could've still gotten into Yale without the OGM. She had discussed possibly taking time off from school before the Olympics, so I think college was an important part of her life and she would've been there no matter what happened in SLC.
Sarah is a truly genuine person. I am keeping my fingers crossed for her to return to the ice. Someone besides me must want her back!

shine said:
The question is, would she have gotten into ivy league if it weren't for her OGM.
Well, all schools, including the Ivy League, look not only at SAT scores and grades, but also extracurricular activities. I think National silver medalist, World bronze medalist, and Olympic gold medalist in figure skating, not to mention her other FS achievements and awards is a pretty impressive extracurricular resume;)

And Sarah no doubt took chemistry, calculus, and physics in high school, so, duh, she knows the drill. Three years to fulfull the college pre-med requirements? Pfft! Peak into a SUNY Stony Brook summer accelerated course in Physics or Organic Chem, ie one semester in six weeks, and you'll see classes whose students are 90% Ivy League. Stony Brook, as do many other state universities, has highly respected physics and chemistry departments and, no pun intended, you get the most bang for your buck given the tuition.

Not that Sarah will or should do that, but as someone else said, her AP courses in high school plus AP tests will probably allow her to qualify for the basic requirements and as someone else said, many schools offer post bac programs for pre-med requirements. Besides, she may change her mind about med school over the next few years. If I were a college student today given today's health care and health insurance crises, I would think long and hard about med school and make sure I went to a few private physicians' offices. The health care system needs intelligent people with drive and creativity, but I think someone like Sarah could do a lot more for health care as a politician or public health professional than as an MD. Of course she could become an MD and then run for public office. JMO. It's Sarah's life.

As for having a relatively easy freshman year, I think Sarah is smart to do it the way she is. Forget socializing and partying, how about just adjusting to living on your own, being at Yale, being 18, making the transition from elite athlete and figure skating star to just another student, and other things I'm sure we're not aware of, I think Sarah is wise to keep her stress levels relatively low this first year and when she's matured and gotten the feel of Yale, take on the killer coursework. This is a young woman whose goal during the Olympic year was to also score a perfect 1600 on her SATs. I don't think she's going to turn into a slacker. OTOH, I think if she pushes herself too hard, she might get burned out.

Sarah is just taking a page from Michelle's book--make sure rest is an important part of your training regimen.:)
Rgirl

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
IIRC in one interview last year, she said herself that she had asked the Yale's admittion office whether her admittion still valid if she postpone a year, the answer was 'it sounds like I have to win another OGM'.