Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really hope Julia can get a medal. I am one of those who thinks she can do it even without the home crowd advantage but if she comes up short then I hope Caro is there to take her podium spot. Best of luck to all in the hunt. I do not expect a splatterfest like we had at GPF.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She's just the most inconsistent top tier skater in history.

It's too bad. If skated cleanly with 7 triples, her Bolero should set a World record (at least if I were judging). However, doing two toes and two salchows leaves a few points on the table.

CarneAsada

Medalist
If Kostner skates cleanly, she should be the undisputed winner. Her skating really should be the gold standard for ladies figure skating, past and future.

She's the only one with true technique on all jumps. Her jumps are big. Her skating skills are unmatched. And she can perform the heck out of her programs.

Kim has more weaknesses than Kostner. Asada has even more weaknesses than Kim. But Kostner will probably make at least 2 big mistakes and take herself out of contention. She's just the most inconsistent top tier skater in history.
Carolina no longer deserves to be the winner even if she (and everyone else) is clean. What I liked about Carolina was that before her switch back to Bolero, she ended her LP with a real triple. Unlike Mao, who ends her program with some throwaway moves after a long footwork sequence, and unlike Yuna, who ends with the same double Axel & combination spin that she has been doing for the last 10 years. Too bad Caro is now ending with a very mediocre spin that goes on forever. I get that she often missed her Salchow, I get that Mao's footwork is no doubt very tiring, and I get that Yuna has after 10 years really perfected the art of ending with 2A => spin and would be loath to change anything, but it would be nice to see a lady skate the last LP of her career with something risky and different, maybe even something spectacular.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Polina being 10th? What is this author smoking

This is a good list including Polina. Winning Silver at her 1st Senior Nationals is no small accomplishment. I don't see why anyone feels the need to put her down. I see a lot of potential in her chances and apparently so does the USFA.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Carolina no longer deserves to be the winner even if she (and everyone else) is clean. What I liked about Carolina was that before her switch back to Bolero, she ended her LP with a real triple. Unlike Mao, who ends her program with some throwaway moves after a long footwork sequence, and unlike Yuna, who ends with the same double Axel & combination spin that she has been doing for the last 10 years. Too bad Caro is now ending with a very mediocre spin that goes on forever. I get that she often missed her Salchow, I get that Mao's footwork is no doubt very tiring, and I get that Yuna has after 10 years really perfected the art of ending with 2A => spin and would be loath to change anything, but it would be nice to see a lady skate the last LP of her career with something risky and different, maybe even something spectacular.

She's old. It's a miracle she's still doing lutz and flip and 3x3.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Still don't get why everyone is so obsessed with Caro's Bolero. I really tried to understand the love last season, didn't happen. This year at Euros. Same story again. Nice programm, not more.
As for the rating, I wouldn't put Polina on the list, maybe Li or Osmond instead and as of for now Julia should've been 3rd. And yes, I really want Julia to skate clean(we all know she can do it) and get a medal. I can watch her LP every single day numerous times. It has developed throughout the season a lot.(just watched Finlandia Trophy and Euros).
You know what was in my mind for some time after US Nationals... Maybe I would put Mirai on the team, but... Edmunds is 15 which in some way is the answer to Russia's Julia, who is also 15. So there would not be those people "she is the only one that young", they had to have their youngster on the team. While Gold and Sotnikova are pretty much the same age as well. I might be wrong, but that might have been one of the reasons while choosing their team.(and I am absolutely sure Wagner deserved to go to Oly, she has done a lot past seasons)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
That doesn't address the concern I raised...

Despite her SPECTACULAR abilities, she had splatfests at both Turin and Vancouver.

What was the last event Carolina competed in that she didn't medal at? Worlds 2010. That's quite remarkable when you remember that in that season, she was sixth at her two GP events (as well as Worlds), had a disaster at the Olympics, and actually lost her own national championship.

That's my way of saying that this is a new Kostner. One that actually doesn't melt down (which doesn't mean she's flawless) but one that can have a bloody nose right before her program before nailing a beautiful triple lutz. Who has some gorgeous qualities that really stand out in this field. One that has two really awesome programs (arguably the best in the field). She essentially had to learn how to compete again after Vancouver - and she actually became a better skater overall - and she was already a really great skater. In a perfect world, she'll have a great Olympics and be crowned champion.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Still don't get why everyone is so obsessed with Caro's Bolero. I really tried to understand the love last season, didn't happen. This year at Euros. Same story again. Nice programm, not more.

Seconded. The program is so cheesy I got second hand embarrassment from watching her. I cringed during that part where she wiggled her hips and blew a kiss to the audience. Dafuq was that?!

I really don't see the superb technique in her jumps. I feel like she takes forever to launch into her jumps and her transitions are rather slow.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
seconded. the program is so cheesy i got second hand embarrassment from watching her. I cringed during that part where she wiggled her hips and blew a kiss to the audience. Dafuq was that?!

I really don't see the superb technique in her jumps. I feel like she takes forever to launch into her jumps and her transitions are rather slow.

ita.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was that really the best picture they could find of Ashley? Jesus

Are you making fun of my Julia photo? I did it on my phone so I can't tell if its bad. Lol and sorry to offend. Ill update it on actual computer asap

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's too bad. If skated cleanly with 7 triples, her Bolero should set a World record (at least if I were judging). However, doing two toes and two salchows leaves a few points on the table.

I agree Kostner's Bolero skated perfectly should set a new PCS WR (probably wouldnt at this point as her rep is not at this height anymore, but should). Not a new total score one though. Even at her hypothetical best there are better technical skaters than her. She is probably the weakest spinner in the top 10, and not all of her jumps are the best quality even when done, and she also doesnt do the harder jump combinations many others do.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would score the hip action in Bolero in the negative column....I know I'm not alone on this.

Amei

Record Breaker
You know what was in my mind for some time after US Nationals... Maybe I would put Mirai on the team, but... Edmunds is 15 which in some way is the answer to Russia's Julia, who is also 15.

*I will disclaimer this by saying I understand that Edmunds was not given events that allowed her the opportunity to compete on the Sr. level. Nor am I saying I disagree with putting her on the team*

There is a huge difference between Julia & Polina. Julia has competed for several years at Sr. nationals, and has competed for 2 seasons on the International Sr. GP series and both times qualified for the GPF (withdrew last year due to injury), this season she has not placed lower than 2nd. On the other hand Polina has had 1 Senior skate at Nationals, and other than that she has no Sr. experience and very little Jr experience.

BusyMom

Medalist
That doesn't address the concern I raised...

Despite her SPECTACULAR abilities, she had splatfests at both Turin and Vancouver.

Are you 12? You do realize that the world doesn't evolve around you, right?

You concerned about her meltdown. my concern is about injuries. I'm not even saying that you were wrong.

This is the free world. I have the right to have different perspectives.

After Euro lots of people including me counted her out for the contenders, since we've realized the extend of her injuries. But who knows, she might bounce back and proof me wrong.

I'm not a Kostner's fan at all. So I'm not going to argue more.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Usually when one quotes another poster, one is addressing what that poster wrote. In your case, I didn't understand why you quoted me since your reply didn't have anything to do with my post.

Are you making fun of my Julia photo? I did it on my phone so I can't tell if its bad. Lol and sorry to offend. Ill update it on actual computer asap

Icey was talking about the picture of Ashley in the article. (It wasn't that bad. :) )

Your Julia avatar is great.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ahh. Too long at the rink today. Must thaw brain.

BusyMom

Medalist
^Usually when one quotes another poster, one is addressing what that poster wrote. In your case, I didn't understand why you quoted me since your reply didn't have anything to do with my post.

It had every things to do with your post. Like I said, just different perspective.