Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Olympic preview: 10 ladies to watch out for in Sochi!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What do you consider high for Polina? I see her and Julia being 20-30 pts apart.

While I think Polina and Julia should be marked close, this is probably the margin we will see. Aside from home cooking, Julia has established herself as a top medal contender this season by beating every skater she has faced except Mao. Her marks have risen throughout the season through a number of high quality skates. Julia could not show up to Sochi as an unknown skater and get the high marks she is likely to get.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
drivingmissdaisy said:
While I think Polina and Julia should be marked close

I disagree. Polina should get higher jump GOE, but Julia has better non-jump elements. When it comes to PCS, especially the LP, Julia should score a good amount higher. She has the better programs, transitions, posture, lines and even emotional investment in her music. Polina has lots of talent and some good spunk, but she still looks clunky and 'juniorish', whereas Julia has a nice amount of sophistication already.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but did you read the rest of that sentence you quoted? Of course I'm aware of that fact!

I was actually a bit confused by the what gives line. I left it out because I wasn't sure what you meant. If I read it right now, what your saying is, you think people expect less out of her yet the same people are demanding results, correct. If so then I retract and completely agree with everything you said. However, I don't think it's unfair to expect a little more from someone you made an exception for. I do this at work almost everyday. Just saying.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I think Polina and Julia should be marked close, this is probably the margin we will see. Aside from home cooking, Julia has established herself as a top medal contender this season by beating every skater she has faced except Mao. Her marks have risen throughout the season through a number of high quality skates. Julia could not show up to Sochi as an unknown skater and get the high marks she is likely to get.

I think everyone can agree that Julia has worked her butt off this year!

miki88

Medalist
Me too... she's the reigning World silver medalist. I wouldn't be surprised if she pushed Asada to 3rd or off the podium, although that would require really bad skates from Asada (but then again, 2013 Worlds....).

She barely edged Mao at Worlds though (who also won the LP) and she was attempting harder content than she is currently this season. Technically, Carolina did not skate all that well at Worlds last year, yet she hasn't been able to even match her performances last season in terms of difficulty and execution. If Caro doesn't increase her difficulty in her SP by Sochi, there will be a few skaters who will can potentially place above her due to more difficult content.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was actually a bit confused by the what gives line. I left it out because I wasn't sure what you meant. If I read it right now, what your[sic] saying is, you think people expect less out of her yet the same people are demanding results, correct.

You're still missing one part - the very beginning - IF the team selection mess cools off, THEN her mediocre performance at Nationals might lower expectations.

But it seems to appear that it hasn't quite blown over. For instance, it was mentioned in the most recent issue of SI in the Olympic preview section. Therefore, many will put pressure on her to deliver results (irregardless of what happened at Nationals) to justify what is perceived to be a snub to Nagasu, who outskated her fair and square at Nationals.

Anyway, Wagner claims she can handle it without having even seen Olympic ice before, let alone skated on it. We shall see...

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Julia will pull a TaraSarah and win gold. Not what I'm hoping for but what I am expecting. Of course, someone could pull an Arakawa like Carolina. I'm hoping for a medal for Ashley and/or Akiko.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I'm going to watch Zijun Li, too.

My feeling is that one of Gold, Julia and Zijun could upset the top guns.

nagoya

Rinkside
Seconded. The program is so cheesy I got second hand embarrassment from watching her. I cringed during that part where she wiggled her hips and blew a kiss to the audience. Dafuq was that?!

I really don't see the superb technique in her jumps. I feel like she takes forever to launch into her jumps and her transitions are rather slow.

this is just funny, thanks for making me smile

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I sense we all want the olympic to come right now:) I wonder what the experience will be for the non favourites like Han or McCorkell.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

My feeling is that one of Gold, Julia and Zijun could upset the top guns.

Heh I am probably one of the biggest Zijun fan on the board, but politics is not on her side. Even check out the 4CCs, even when she clearly has the crowd on her side, it hardly translate in PCS.

I'd love it, if Li can manage a top 10 finish given this current field with Japanese and Russian desperately align and pulling ranks together to prop their skaters. You bet US will pull up on Gold too, or even Ashley.

How much of a contender will depends on how Julia perform in the team events which she is to do both the SP and LP. If she manage to win her events, it will boost her chances for sure. I don't know why Adelina is not doing one of the events, is Russia propping her so hard for individual more than Julia?

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
She barely edged Mao at Worlds though (who also won the LP) and she was attempting harder content than she is currently this season. Technically, Carolina did not skate all that well at Worlds last year, yet she hasn't been able to even match her performances last season in terms of difficulty and execution. If Caro doesn't increase her difficulty in her SP by Sochi, there will be a few skaters who will can potentially place above her due to more difficult content.

carolina got 130 points in her 2013 worlds free skate with a popped triple loop (single) and a fall on a triple salchow (fall + under rotated). had she not made these 2 errors her presentation would have also improved. safe to say, a clean carolina could get around 145. the judges love bolero. her content in both the short and long program is the same as last year (she adds the triple toe to the triple flip in the long only when she really needs it).

her performances this year have been bad because she was injured and never really loved her programs. she's been feeling better and loves her new short and long program. you have to cut her some slack at europeans because she hadn't had enough practice time (injury) and it was the first time she had ever skated to ave maria and the first time she had skated to bolero this season.

miki88

Medalist
carolina got 130 points in her 2013 worlds free skate with a popped triple loop (single) and a fall on a triple salchow (fall + under rotated). had she not made these 2 errors her presentation would have also improved. safe to say, a clean carolina could get around 145. the judges love bolero. her content in both the short and long program is the same as last year (she adds the triple toe to the triple flip in the long only when she really needs it).

her performances this year have been bad because she was injured and never really loved her programs. she's been feeling better and loves her new short and long program. you have to cut her some slack at europeans because she hadn't had enough practice time (injury) and it was the first time she had ever skated to ave maria and the first time she had skated to bolero this season.

She made almost the same amount of errors in her LP at Europeans and was placed third even with the highest PCS. She definitely needs a 3-3 combo in both programs to remain competitive this year. In fact, she got one of her highest SP scores in her career at Euros, yet could not manage to outscore the Russian skaters. The field has become much more competitive this season.

chloepoco

Medalist
Heh I am probably one of the biggest Zijun fan on the board, but politics is not on her side. Even check out the 4CCs, even when she clearly has the crowd on her side, it hardly translate in PCS.

I'd love it, if Li can manage a top 10 finish given this current field with Japanese and Russian desperately align and pulling ranks together to prop their skaters. You bet US will pull up on Gold too, or even Ashley.

How much of a contender will depends on how Julia perform in the team events which she is to do both the SP and LP. If she manage to win her events, it will boost her chances for sure. I don't know why Adelina is not doing one of the events, is Russia propping her so hard for individual more than Julia?

Oh, yes, gotta watch those evil Japanese and Russians and their devious ways...:rolleye:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh, yes, gotta watch those evil Japanese and Russians and their devious ways...:rolleye:

Hey mannnn... i am only going according to the crazy PCS inflation trends these years. Not making these up you know :D
If it helps not only Japanese and Russian ;)

Top 10 highest PCS charts for ladies SP and FP of ALL TIME.
Check out TES vs PCS ratio, the hosted event and the year.

FS (PCS) Best ever scores
http://oi41.tinypic.com/30agn74.jpg

SP (PCS) Best ever scores
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ppir1c.jpg

Country
Russia
Very good list. Wish these 10 be top-10 in final results.

In what order?
Wish all of them clean skating and let the strongest win!

This is very good list except Polina Edmunds. No Osmond :think:
Edmunds is stronger skater than Osmond.

Polina is the only female skater at this competitions with two 3+3 combos in FS.
It is not Russian JrNats (where several girls have two 3+3 Combos), it's just Olympics! (joke)

Yes, very nice skating. As for me, she would be in list of top-11, but not top-10.