BuzzFeed article: Why Is The World's Gayest Sport Stuck In The Closet? | Golden Skate

BuzzFeed article: Why Is The World's Gayest Sport Stuck In The Closet?

Barb

Record Breaker
Wow it was a really long article, interesting. Poor male skaters, they already have enough pressure with the competition and they have to deal with people speaking about their sexuality, nobody care about the sexuality of the girls, why people are so intruding with men :disapp:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wow it was a really long article, interesting. Poor male skaters, they already have enough pressure with the competition and they have to deal with people speaking about their sexuality, nobody care about the sexuality of the girls, why people are so intruding with men :disapp:

The women are trapped in a closet of their own -- defined by "gender appropriateness."

The USFSA should be happy to go to Sochi--they'll feel right at home.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The whole time I was reading this I thought 'Why are people so nosy?' It SHOULDN'T matter about the sexual orientation of a skater and it just seems rude to me. That's the sort of information I would only give to the people I'm closest to. I know it seems that famous or semi-famous people automatically waive their right to privacy, but it makes me question the morals of the people digging into the private lives of others, even if they are well known. If they want to declare their orientation great, but if they haven't said, then leave it alone.

Also, the stereotypes people make in their minds are frustrating as well. Why should people have to be 100% one thing or another? A straight man may like sequins and lace in his costumes, a gay man may like plain clothes. In the 17th century in Europe high heels, ribbons, satin, jewels and half-meter high wigs were the 'right' thing for men and women to wear. So since these stereotypes are not as 'set in stone' as people would like to suggest, I think it's time to change them for the better. Hmmm...I seem to have lost the train of thought. Oh well, I simply felt frustrated for these athletes to have to grow up and train in an environment that places unnecessary stress on something wholly unrelated to their sport.

Icey

Record Breaker
By accident I came across a site, which discussed skater's sexuality, no holds barred. So on one hand, officially, one might say, they are still in the closet, but their sexual behavior and preference seems not to be. Skaters talk just as much as most people do. You think a gay man who beds a prominent skater isn't going to share the news with his friends? Discreetness is not the order of the day frequently.

Under the circumstances, I'm surprised they let Patricia St. Peter be President.:laugh: