Schedule & TV Streams Winter Olympics | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Schedule & TV Streams Winter Olympics

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why isn't nbcolympics.com not live streaming the opening ceremonies? They are showing most everything else.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to posting at GS, sparkling ladybug!
Hi, longtime lurker here. :) Just wanted to post the channels that are airing the Opening Ceremonies for Latin America:

ESPN

Fox Sports 1

Fox Sports 2

Claro Sports

All channels are airing the Opening Ceremonies live, with Claro Sports streaming it on their YouTube channel (their coverage has just started) and I believe Fox Sports is also going to be livestreaming it on their website. ESPN Play for Latin America will also be streaming it. Don't know if the coverage will be geoblocked for those outside of Latin America.

p.s. Claro Sports is interviewing Michelle Kwan right now :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why isn't nbcolympics.com not live streaming the opening ceremonies? They are showing most everything else.

NBCOlympics.com said it would be showing all competitions. And TBA whether it will stream the Closing Ceremony.

And what are the thoughts behind not streaming the ceremony live when you do all the sports live, why can’t people have that opportunity to see that?

MARK LAZARUS: This is a ceremony, it’s a pageant, it’s a theater show – it is not a competition, and as such we think putting Matt and Meredith there, and putting the context to explain the history and tradition and culture, that’s going to be part of a better viewing experience. We’re looking to maximize viewing experience for our audiences… it is as simple as that. We think putting a big stadium streamed event, of which we’re taking largely a host feed, would not provide an audience with the full pageantry that the opening ceremonies deserves. We really believe that we want to put context to it, and that’s very important to us. We want to expose this in a way, and with the full pageantry that it deserves. ...Would it cut into viewing? I don’t know. Our research shows that many things, putting things online drives viewership later. We will definitely put some snippets of it out throughout the day, we’re not going to ignore it…we’re not going to ignore it like it didn’t happen.

And that will be the same for the closing ceremony as well?

MARK LAZARUS: Undetermined at this point. If you remember, in London we chose to stream the closing ceremonies, and we likely are leaning that way now. The closing ceremonies is much more of a party than a theatrical performance, and we think that that’s easier to express there.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2014/01/10/2014-sochi-olympic-press-event-transcript/ (Jan 10)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
So instead of letting Americans decide whether or not we can understand the context (or maybe just wanted to watch the pretty people walking), they force us to watch it in primetime? Woooooooo.

Thankfully I was able to get access elsewhere.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NBC clueless as always.

So instead of letting Americans decide whether or not we can understand the context (or maybe just wanted to watch the pretty people walking), they force us to watch it in primetime? Woooooooo.

Thankfully I was able to get access elsewhere.

Strictly an FYI (I am neither defending nor condemning NBC):

NBC will broadcast its taped coverage of the Opening Ceremony twice tonight.

• 7:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. Opening Ceremony
  • 1:05 a.m. – 5 a.m. Primetime Encore [I think the intended meaning is "Encore of Primetime"]

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Strictly an FYI (I am neither defending nor condemning NBC):

NBC will broadcast its taped coverage of the Opening Ceremony twice tonight.

• 7:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. Opening Ceremony
  • 1:05 a.m. – 5 a.m. Primetime Encore [I think the intended meaning is "Encore of Primetime"]

Oh, I know they're airing it. But their reasons for not streaming it live as well as airing in Primetime are stupid. Especially considering other major broadcasters like CBC and BBC did air it live.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh, I know they're airing it. But their reasons for not streaming it live as well as airing in Primetime are stupid. Especially considering other major broadcasters like CBC and BBC did air it live.

Again, I'm neither defending nor condemning NBC.

ETA:
That said, I am interested to hear David Remnick's commentary on NBC. I do think that he will add value. YMMV.​

Was just letting anyone who cares (unlike you ;)) know that broadcast audiences have not one, but two, opportunities to see the taped coverage.

ivy

On the Ice
So signed up with a VPN and I guess I'll be Canadian for the rest of the Olympics ;) Go team Canada!!

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
UPDATE FOR BBC;
Sky now have the Red Buttons on channels on 977 (RB1) & 978 (RB2).
Here are the figure skating Red Button listings for the coming week;
Saturday RB 1 14.30 PM Team SP.
Sunday RB 1 15.30 PM Team LP.
Tuesday RB 2 15.45 PM Pairs SP.
Wednesday RB 2 16.00 PM Pairs LP.
Thursday RB 1 16.00 PM Men's SP.
Friday RB 2 15.00 PM Men's LP.
Hope this helps.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
UPDATE FOR BBC;
Sky now have the Red Buttons on channels on 977 (RB1) & 978 (RB2).

And about time too! The Beeb should have done that years ago! ;) :biggrin:

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

At least this will make things a lot easier checking the listings, etc. Whatever type of Freeview box you have, the EPG never seems as good or easy to use as the SkyGuide.

I just hope this isn't a temporary thing for the Olympics, and that they will stay on the EPG...

CaroLiza_fan

Simona5

Rinkside
anyone knows which channels ( russian preferably) or any other online sites are showing ladies sp and pairs fs team events live?! pleaaaaaaase i will be forever grateful

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Chapis, thanks for the link. I had seen the site before, but it has been updated since then. For one, I didn't realize Belgium Sporza was airing the Olympics, too. Brilliant.

xabia

On the Ice
BBC Schedule

My TV EPG is listing the skating team events on the Thursday on BBC red button (channel 301) from 15.30 - 18.55 and 18.55 - 22.00 so we may have a chance to see some (all?) of Thursday's skating! Not managed to find an online schedule for what is being shown on red button at other times though.

If you put figure skating into the BBC website and choose TV & Radio Programmes (under categories on the LHS) you can see when there might be skating shown on BBC 2 (and hence iplayer). It is only showing listings for 8th and 9th of Feb so far and only seems to show BBC 2 stuff (not all live) and not anything on red button.

I wish the BBC website was clearer about what is being shown when. :eek:hwell:

Here's a link which gives both Red Button channels (301 & 302) plus BBC2: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26081397

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder that the Figure Skating will be starting in 15 minutes or so on BBCi1. And, in a change to what the listings said the other day, it is now being shown in its entirity!!! :biggrin:

I have updated the details on how to receive the BBC Interactive Channels in the first post to reflect that they are now available on the Sky Digital EPG.

They are also available via a livestream on the BBC website:

Official BBC Livestreaming Channel

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for Thursday's competitions.

As all the skating will now be on a channel that I can record, I will be leaving it to watch the ski jumping qualification (as it is only available via the online coverage), and then playing catch-up with the skating later on.

So, that is why I will be relatively quiet on the forum this afternoon.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan