"I'm black. I'm a guy. And I'm obsessed with figure skating" (Washington Post column) | Golden Skate

"I'm black. I'm a guy. And I'm obsessed with figure skating" (Washington Post column)

Barb

Record Breaker
I love it!!! :bow:

“Quite frankly, I wanted to see if Lisa would ever actually win,” my dad chimed in. :rofl:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
That was hilarious! Thanks for sharing!
I loved how the "loosing teeth because of being a black figure skating fan" introduced in the beginning was resolved towards the end ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed that. I bet his blogs are going to be great. At last - someone covering the games that knows figure skating. Yayyy...

LRK

Record Breaker
Absolutely adored it! Thanks for sharing, Mrs P! Looking forward to his blogs! :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Very witty and droll and cute. And that bit the professor said about how we love things due to someone we love loving them and that loving the same things brings us closer to said loved one was very insightful.
Thanks for sharing and for sure I will follow his blog.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Coming from a similar situation, I can relate to some of the stuff he's saying. Two major differences though: 1) I more or less keep it to myself and 2) I don't get anywhere near as emotional as he does. I don't cry after performances - I'm just not like that.

I will say, though - the best moments for me often come when getting to meet the skaters themselves. And some of the worst ones, as well. No fault of their own though.

babyskate

On the Ice
Coming from a similar situation, I can relate to some of the stuff he's saying. Two major differences though: 1) I more or less keep it to myself and 2) I don't get anywhere near as emotional as he does. I don't cry after performances - I'm just not like that.

I will say, though - the best moments for me often come when getting to meet the skaters themselves. And some of the worst ones, as well. No fault of their own though.

I loved the article and can completely relate. Being a complete Michelle Kwan fan, I could not sleep the night she got the silver at Olympics with gold going to Tara. I knew I should be happy for the silver but was so irrationally upset for her. Couldn't admit to anyone just how emotional I was. Now I fear I will have the same response to Jason. I am not expecting a medal (though it would be nice) but will be so emotional if he does not skate how I know he can.
Looking forward to this reporters future updates.

Delicious in all regards! How great that we'll get to see blogs from someone who not only understands skating but loves it. And man, he exactly captured my feelings as I watched Nancy Kerrigan go down in flames in that 1993 Worlds. Also, I love his point about how wrestlers wear spandex, too. And so many of them have that elaborate, fussy long hair. Why do male skaters get flak for how they look? Should someone like Jeremy Abbot bellow war cries as he skates to sound more testosterone-fueled?

I love the comment about how his family was Jamaican and therefore should be supporting bobsled teams instead.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight

Well, he was a kid at the time. I'm guessing he doesn't cry over skaters losing competitions now. :think:

(Although taking a second glance at it, he did mention crying when MK won nationals, so I could be wrong.)

I'm not that emotionally affected much by competition results now, but I remember when I first became a fan at age 11, it was a different story. The first skater I really rooted for was Josee Chouinard. :disapp:

Good article, and comments, too. I've had the same experience as that one commenter, with people asking me if I skate myself once they learn I'm a fan. (Hells to the no). It's something people seem to think a lot if you follow a non-mainstream sport.

emma

Record Breaker
Wow, loved, loved, loved reading this! I'm in tears over "lisa". Love it and forever and ever will think of Surya and Lisa together and smile (i'm not even going to go to that place and ask: Lisa? really?).

The macho man comparison was great - spandex, one hand over head. My goodness, I'm laughing again.

He grabbed me with this: "Figure skating fans like me get no respect — until the Olympics. Suddenly all that knowledge I’ve accrued becomes conversational gold. It’s my quadrennial opportunity to prove that my sport is worthy, my chance to find fellow fans. This is my Super Bowl." This is so totally true!!!! It's so funny to me how much I don't know (thinking here, of course, of dorispulaski, Mrs. P, gkelly and others who teach me tons), but how much I DO know compared to the causal 4 year fans, and how fun it is to show it off a bit during the Olympics!

Also, this is just well written - like the way the teeth comment comes full circle toward the end. I can't wait to read more of his stuff.

meem

On the Ice
I sent him an email, thanking him for this blog. Maybe he'll continue through Worlds (wouldn't that be first-rate!). It's so true...whenever the Winter Olympics comes along, I too can be the quasi-figure skating expert-of-sorts in "my" world, attempting to explain the crazy scoring system and judging, plus, why a certain skater lost points (even though (s)he looked "really great" out there on the ice). Can't wait for the games to begin!

Alex D

Record Breaker
The question if you skate yourselfs i hear a lot as well. ;) but also if my girl did well.

Nobody asked me however about my sexual preference yet maybe its just to obvious :)