Irina Slutskaya? | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya?

Fossi

Final Flight
I just watched a tape I have of exhibitions. I am amazed at the speed Irina has in her exhibition with the blue body suit. I think it's Timeless? She looks like she is having so much fun. Was this from '01? I think she did the country western exhibtion in '02, right? Is she the only female skater to do double beillmans? Amazing!!
Is she going to be at Worlds for sure? She is so fast!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Irina has a couple of test skates next week that will determine if she goes to worlds or not

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Fossi, Irina's programs are amazing. I hope she makes it to Worlds. She was certainly missed all season, especially at the Campbell's event. :(

Fabulous photos Idle! I'm just glad to hear Irina has regained her health enough to do test skates for Worlds. Her condition was scary. I'd love to see her at Worlds, but only if she's in good shape. Irina has nothing to prove and I'd hate to see her have a subpar skate at Worlds.

Having seen Irina skate live a number of times, she is jaw-droppingly fast. No other woman I've seen comes close to Irina's speed at her peak except Oksana Baiul at her peak. But Irina has the speed AND the jumps.

Good luck, 'Rini! We miss you!
Rgirl

IDLERACER

Medalist
Those photos are all from her management firm, which also handles Sasha, Fumie, Ann Petrice and Amber (see my posting in the "prettiest picture" thread for more stills).

eliza88

On the Ice
Great photos Idle!!

Irina's exhibition in the blue suit is one of my favorites of her. It was at the 2001 World's and I was in the audience! She was amazing! The style of the music/program seemed to fit her to a "T" as well as emphasize all her strengths. I often wonder why doesn't she use this style for her competitive programs? She tends to go for more dramatic/classical style and IMO it is always a stretch...Irina is super fast, has superb jumps, and has a very charming/fun personality--I would love her competitve programs to reflect this.

I would love to see her at World's but only if she is really and truly healthy!

eliza88

wvgal57

On the Ice
Irina will be doing a test skate on March 10 and March 11 to test for World spot.

Irina's "Timeless" program is one of my favorites and I've repeatedly asked her to consider it as a short program piece but Irina will not reuse music or programs.

You'd love Irina's "Shine" exhibition year which she unveiled at Russian National's and used at GrandPrix finals too. It was daring, intriguing, quite sexy and mature. I hope she'll show it to fans who come to Champions on Ice this year. There are clips at her official site, I think maybe even the whole program at GoldenSkatesofRussia.

At top form I think the only eligible skater right now who can reach Irina's speed is Fumie Suguri. Irina is blazingly fast and her spins keep up with her ice speed too.

Here is a photo of Irina's costume for her new freeskate "Queen of Spades". The program is done by Igor Bobrin and it's using 3 different pieces of unique music that Irina chose and he came up with a program based on Puskin's QOS. It's a very different program for Irina and I'm so anxious to see the finished product.

http://www.irina-slutskaya.com/Pb142746113.jpg

nymkfan51

Medalist
Great pictures of Irina! I have really missed seeing her. I sincerely hope she does well in her test skates and is healthy and ready to come back ... she has been missed!

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Queen of Spades

wvgal57 said:
Here is a photo of Irina's costume for her new freeskate "Queen of Spades". The program is done by Igor Bobrin and it's using 3 different pieces of unique music that Irina chose and he came up with a program based on Puskin's QOS. It's a very different program for Irina and I'm so anxious to see the finished product.
Do you know if any/all of the 3 pieces of music are from the Tchaikovsky opera "The Queen of Spades"? (The libretto was based on the Pushkin novella.) When you say "unique music" what do you mean -- non-traditional, not capable of being categorized, what? I hope Irina does well at the test skate -- her presence on the competitive scene has been missed this past year.

Puce

Rinkside
idleracer, those pictures of irina are stunning! i really hope to see her at worlds this year. i really miss her. wouldn't it be amazing if she came back and won?

Koroleva

On the Ice
Re: Queen of Spades

skatingfan5 said:
Do you know if any/all of the 3 pieces of music are from the Tchaikovsky opera "The Queen of Spades"? (The libretto was based on the Pushkin novella.) When you say "unique music" what do you mean -- non-traditional, not capable of being categorized, what? I hope Irina does well at the test skate -- her presence on the competitive scene has been missed this past year.

No the pieces of music are not from the opera.

Wonderland by Tonci Huljic
Whisper from the Mirror by Keiko Matsui
Croatian Rhapsody by Tonci Huljic are all used. They are great pieces of music. The wonderful Igor Bobrin choreographed the program.

wvgal57

On the Ice
The unique idea behind "Queen of Spades" is that Igor took 3 pieces of music that Irina presented to him and he wove them into a program based on Pushkins's libretto. It's a novel idea and I don't know if it's ever been done by a choreographer before.

Irina's costume is even themed towards the secret of the cards - she has the cards peeking out of the corset.

I'm not sure if the first draft of the program will open the same way, but the short clip I saw she opened up the program by dealing out the cards. Bear in mind what I saw was a barebones and could have been changed some, but it had some new moves for Irina. I'd say based on her stamina though we'll not know how this program could have changed. I certainly hope Irina decides to keep it for next season though since it's limited use this year and that she and Igor will tweak it specifically for Code of Points. I'm of course assuming Irina will be here next season!