Shepherd Clark... | Golden Skate

Shepherd Clark...

Matt

On the Ice
whatever happened to him? He was a skater on the National scene who did really well at Nationals (4th in 1997, I think?) and got to travel to some of the other lesser competitions (Finlandia, 4CC) for the US and either medaled or turned in really good showings (He won Finlandia). He looked like he was getting it together and then all of a sudden he disappeared. I remember he was very public about his struggle with ADD.

Does anyone have any info on what happened to him? He was one of my favourites.

fuido

Rinkside
shepherd is one of my favorite lesser-known american skaters. i remember when he had to withdraw duing the (i think it ws the) 2000 short program at nationals because of a back injury. it broke my heart.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
IIRC, Shepherd is the same age as Todd Eldredge which would make him 32? Lots of fun to watch but unless you are successful internationally, I don't think you will continue to compete into your 30's. I think injuries, also, took their toll.

ouridol

On the Ice
I remember him--he was always fun to watch even when he made mistakes. I was shocked to see him dissapear, too. :(

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Shocked to see him disapear? He skated at nats for a decade! Sometimes I really wonder about fan expectations.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Shocked to see him disapear? He skated at nats for a decade! Sometimes I really wonder about fan expectations.

:laugh:

He hasn't been gone for very long- we saw him at 2003 nationals, though he withdrew before the long program. Thought he might stick around one more year since he's from Atlanta, but I guess not.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Shep actually turned 33 March 1. :)

He's also one of my long-time favorite skaters - I was joking to someone the other day that he was one of those skaters who make me want to alternate between giving his hair a good tugging sometimes and just giving him a *big* hug, LOL.

I appreciate the fact that he has struggled with ADD, but I've also felt at times that Shep could also be a wee bit more disciplined, LOL. All the same, for the most part he's quite a joy to watch - a wonderfully elegant and expressive skater who's also powerful and fast. :) I've heard he's a real sweetheart too - especially when it comes to fans and admirers.

I was sad at what happened in 2000 :cry: - I was glad he was able to come back and compete in '02. I knew that he withdrew last year before the free skate got underway - such a shame. :(

I heard very recently from someone who knows someone who knows about Shep :laugh: that he's still training at the Skating Club of Boston. If he wants to come back and try to compete at Nationals next year, I think that would be really cool.

I've heard he's running a fairly successful small jewelry business and even has his own line of jewelry - I've heard of something in particular called the "Shep spiral". Does anyone know about it?

I wish him the best, at any rate, now and in the future. :love:

lil lion 816

Rinkside
**BUMP!**

I thought someone might be able to answer that last question if I bumped it up. :laugh:

Also - he was a silver medalist at Jr. Worlds : can anyone tell me if it was the 89 Jr. Worlds or the 90 Jr Worlds (Jr Worlds used to be held in December, so 89 Jr Worlds would have been held in December 88, for example). Also, what country were the championships held in! Any information would be helpful! :)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I read a couple of years ago that he designed a skating costume completely encrusted in diamonds. It even covered the gloves! It was some kind of rare american dimond. I guess his business was doing fairly well :)

I need to dig up the magazine with this feature.

Yana

soogar

Record Breaker
It was in TV Guide. I was looking forward to looking at that costume but he pulled out of Nationals b/c of injury. I think the diamonds were from the Appalachian mountains or some mountains in NY.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
hi soogar, the article was in a magazine that covers different topics every issue - the name escapes me. They did a whole issue devoted to FS, maybe back in 2000? I picked it up in a supermarket. When I dig it up I could scan the article if you want to see it.

Yana

lil lion 816

Rinkside
He did sew 100 of a gemstone called a Herkimer Diamond into a costume he was going to wear during the 2000 Nationals free skate - before he had to withdraw. :(

Herkimer Diamonds are actually a kind of quartz crystal ( double-terminating, if you really want to get technical ;) ) and are formed in clay instead of rock so they form a more perfect "diamond-shaped" gemstone.

I think that outfit turned up at '02 Nationals - it was a black outfit with red designs on the top and tights and the designs were completely outlined with something that shone like crazy. It sent beams of white light right into my eyes and made me shade my eyes just watching the videotape I have. ;)

On a personal note, reading about the Herkimer Diamonds, jewelry design, etc. reminded me that I was once interested in gemology and even checked out some colleges which taught courses in the field. :)

soogar

Record Breaker
Yana,
Please do. I think he was going to skate to music from Cats in that costume. I remember TV Guide did a decent size caption with a photo of Shep in the costume and he had diamonds along the sleeves.

In Christine Brennan's book, she was writing about Mike Weiss and was discussing how Weiss felt uncomfortable with gay guys in skating. He told her that during some seminar, the boys were introducing themselves to eachother and one of them said that he liked to make jewelry. The other guys snickered and when it was Mike's turn, he said his name and "I do not make jewelry". I wonder if he was talking about Shep Clark.

I always thought Shepard , Mark Mitchell and Michael Chack looked alike.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
If it's 1) quoted in a Brennan book and 2) quoted by Mike I would take the statement with not only a grain, but a pound of salt. :p

Just for a parting shot at that remark, I think that jewelry making and design is, well, kind of **sexy**. ;)

And yes, I think that the program Shep was supposed to skate to in 2000 wearing the outfit was from "Cats". :)

sk8m8

Final Flight
I appreciate the fact that he has struggled with ADD, but I've also felt at times that Shep could also be a wee bit more disciplined

I promise not to go into a diatribe about the perils of ADD (something I deal with, so I well familiar). I would just add that as a person with ADD the fact that Shep made it to nationals as many times as he did is a tribute to his fortitude and determination.

The concentration required to be an elite figure skater is enormous. To be able to do this with a condition that underminds this vital skill means that he probably had to work 3 or more times as hard as another skater with his "natural skating ablities."

One last thing, the last I heard, Shep also was one of the company reps for Swarovzski(sp) Crystal Company. They sell crystal products to almost anyone who utilizes them from chandeliers to trophies. I hope that Shep is happy and doing fine, he seems to be the type of person (having met him a couple of times) that will take his experiences as an elite figure skater, at least at the national level, and allow it to make him a more well rounded person. If you ever get the chance to meet him yourself, you may find him to be one of the most "what you see is what you get" kind of folks you've ever encountered. Mike Weiss might be as lucky as to follow THIS example of what Shep does that he may WANT to copy. LOL

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Thanks for the information! I always appreciate hearing about things like ADD from one who has dealt with it personally. There's nothing like information from one who is living through it. I appreciate your candor and courage. :)

I was actually teasing on the disciplined part with Shep - it's hard enough for some of us *without* an undermining condition to stay disciplined sometimes, that's for sure. :laugh: I really appreciate what he's been able to accomplish and hope he continues to do whatever makes him happy. :)

Boy oh boy - I've been collecting Swarovski crystal for about 20 years : I wonder if he could arrange a discount on some of those big collector's items?? ;) Just joking, just joking...

Mike Weiss might be as lucky as to follow THIS example of what Shep does that he may WANT to copy. LOL

I can't disagree with that. ;) Several could follow that example, IMO.

Olenska

Rinkside
Lil Lion wrote:

Also - he was a silver medalist at Jr. Worlds : can anyone tell me if it was the 89 Jr. Worlds or the 90 Jr Worlds (Jr Worlds used to be held in December, so 89 Jr Worlds would have been held in December 88, for example). Also, what country were the championships held in! Any information would be helpful!

I had a little bit of that competition on tape, and I think it was at the end of 1988, Lil. And it was held in Sarajevo. I think. Either that, or Budapest.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Thanks for the info on Jr. Worlds - I thought it was 89 Jr Worlds (which would have been in late '88 at the time) but I wasn't sure. I hope I can get of copy of that competition on tape at some point. :)