Marina Zoueva Must Have Mixed Feelings | Golden Skate

Marina Zoueva Must Have Mixed Feelings

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
After watching the latest installment of Virtue and Moir's tv show, I am wondering how conflicted their coach Marina Zoueva must feel going to the Olympics in her native country, Russia and yet, coaching the two top North American teams in the world instead of a Russian team. It is an interesting place to be in. Any thoughts?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's also interesting that Marina is a Canadian citizen, who marched with the Canadian team in 2010. Marina is not a Russian now, other than by birth.

By the way, the lone skating article in Time Magazine's Olympic issue is about the spat between Zoueva and Shpilband, not really about any of the skaters. An odd choice, considering how little space the magazine is devoting to skating at all.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I daresay there will be some coverage of the split & the resultant suit by Igor during the Olympic coverage.

KKonas

Medalist
By the way, the lone skating article in Time Magazine's Olympic issue is about the spat between Zoueva and Shpilband, not really about any of the skaters. An odd choice, considering how little space the magazine is devoting to skating at all.

This story is typical of Alice Park. She loves controversy, but she didn't get much from the skaters themselves and no comment from Zoueva

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
KKonas, Do you know whether Meryl & Charlie were deposed in the suit, as the article claims?

KKonas

Medalist
KKonas, Do you know whether Meryl & Charlie were deposed in the suit, as the article claims?

No. I never asked Davis or White. When I spoke to Igor at SLC in the fall, he said he really didn't want to depose any of the skaters, which is why he agreed to settle rather than go to court. That doesn't necessarily mean that none of the skaters were deposed. From this article Park may have asked Igor directly if any of the skaters were actually deposed and which ones. However, I cannot confirm.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladskater, I bet Zueva feels vindicated. If things were different, Igor would've felt the same way. It is interesting that the "big name" Russian coaches have not been phenomenally successful in the US. I mean, sure, Weir has spent time with both Zmievskaya and Tarasova, Cohen with Tarasova, etc. Zueva had a bit of a name thanks to her work with G&G, but she was not one of the "in" coaches, and I doubt she would have ever become an "in" coach in Russia.

KKonas

Medalist
Ladskater, I bet Zueva feels vindicated. If things were different, Igor would've felt the same way. It is interesting that the "big name" Russian coaches have not been phenomenally successful in the US. I mean, sure, Weir has spent time with both Zmievskaya and Tarasova, Cohen with Tarasova, etc. Zueva had a bit of a name thanks to her work with G&G, but she was not one of the "in" coaches, and I doubt she would have ever become an "in" coach in Russia.

Why would Zoueva feel "vindicated?" One wouldn't expect V&M and D&W to suddenly drop off the top of the ice dance world when she split with Igor. She was named in Igor's lawsuit along with the rink so lost some $$$$ in that settlement. Igor was hurt the most in that split finding himself suddenly without a training rink and a number of ice dancers under contract. He has done great with more students than Zoueva and the rise of Chock & Bates, who are likely to make a big move internationally this year since they have improved dramatically this season.

hanca

Record Breaker
Why would Zoueva feel "vindicated?" One wouldn't expect V&M and D&W to suddenly drop off the top of the ice dance world when she split with Igor. She was named in Igor's lawsuit along with the rink so lost some $$$$ in that settlement. Igor was hurt the most in that split finding himself suddenly without a training rink and a number of ice dancers under contract. He has done great with more students than Zoueva and the rise of Chock & Bates, who are likely to make a big move internationally this year since they have improved dramatically this season.

I agree. It will be within the next few seasons (after V&M and D&W retire) that will show who is more successful on their own. At the moment Zoueva is still benefiting from their joint work, but from the next seasons we will see what each of them can manage when they are having the skaters 'on their own'. (obviously with the support of the team they gathered around them).

This story is typical of Alice Park. She loves controversy, but she didn't get much from the skaters themselves and no comment from Zoueva

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

This must be so difficult for all the skaters to deal with, especially during the year of Olympic preparation. I can't imagine being a skater and having to deal with questions about something that is so in conflict with the mindset one would need in order to keep on track for the Games.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
While in Russia, she never had much of an opportunity to coach (once again, G&G being a huge exception but that was an unusual situation). Now, world will see her bring 2 top ice dancing teams in the world to the Olympics. This is a success she wouldn't have ever had had she stayed in Russia. Furthermore, the ice dancing coaching scene in Russia has traditionally been the biggest beehive (though this is no longer true). It doesn't matter how V&M and D&W got to where they are now - at this point she is the one bringing them to the Games. I agree with you wholeheartedly that Igor has more potential as a coach then Zoueva does - but, once, again, in this year, at this Olympics, she is the one with the big prize.

Yes, Igor was the one hurt initially. Many years ago, he quit the rink that fired Marina just so they could continue working together. Now this,

gmyers

Record Breaker
After watching the latest installment of Virtue and Moir's tv show, I am wondering how conflicted their coach Marina Zoueva must feel going to the Olympics in her native country, Russia and yet, coaching the two top North American teams in the world instead of a Russian team. It is an interesting place to be in. Any thoughts?

Like it was posted above her country is Canada. She is Canadian.

KKonas

Medalist
While in Russia, she never had much of an opportunity to coach (once again, G&G being a huge exception but that was an unusual situation). Now, world will see her bring 2 top ice dancing teams in the world to the Olympics. This is a success she wouldn't have ever had had she stayed in Russia. Furthermore, the ice dancing coaching scene in Russia has traditionally been the biggest beehive (though this is no longer true). It doesn't matter how V&M and D&W got to where they are now - at this point she is the one bringing them to the Games. I agree with you wholeheartedly that Igor has more potential as a coach then Zoueva does - but, once, again, in this year, at this Olympics, she is the one with the big prize.

Yes, Igor was the one hurt initially. Many years ago, he quit the rink that fired Marina just so they could continue working together. Now this,

Think we are talking in cross purposes here. I was only referring to the split between Marina & Igor, not her standing/reputation in Russia. Of course she will get a lot of publicity in Sochi as the coach of V&M and D&W as well as for the Shibs, especially if they do well. Both Igor and Marina have great credentials, but I'm betting on Igor in the future as he seems to be a real "survivor."

Seyonne

Rinkside
I wonder about her mixed feelings for her two teams. Does she have a preference? Is she happy with being the coach of the top two teams in any order or does she want to be known as the woman who coached two different teams to Olympic gold?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Bayonne, Thank you for posting! I hope some reporters will ask those questions.

gmyers

Record Breaker
THat would be interesting. She is Canadian and coached a Canada team to gold and then they go to sochi and her United States team will probably beat her Canadian team. Any feelings in that respect. Like the nationality of the teams is irrelevent?

CAS

On the Ice
I wonder about her mixed feelings for her two teams. Does she have a preference? Is she happy with being the coach of the top two teams in any order or does she want to be known as the woman who coached two different teams to Olympic gold?

I think her resume looks better with two different gold medallists. I think she loves them both as children and I think a mother would be happiest if both children had a turn at winning gold. So I think at least subconsciously she has a preference.

BTW...Marina has Canadian citizenship but I don't why she would identify as a Canadian more than Russian or even American. She lived in Canada as long as she lived in the US. In fact I think her time in the US has now surpassed her time living in Canada. Her home and her family are in America. But I think if you asked Marina and she answered honestly she would say she is Russian first. You don't immigrate as an adult to another country with a 7yr old child and just forget all that. It's in your blood. I think she would have a fondness for Canada giving her citizenship and a chance at a new life but I don't know how Canadian an adult immigrant who spent about 10 years in the country can be. At her age it's just a chapter in her life.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
BTW...Marina has Canadian citizenship but I don't why she would identify as a Canadian more than Russian or even American. She lived in Canada as long as she lived in the US. In fact I think her time in the US has now surpassed her time living in Canada. Her home and her family are in America. But I think if you asked Marina and she answered honestly she would say she is Russian first. You don't immigrate as an adult to another country with a 7yr old child and just forget all that. It's in your blood. I think she would have a fondness for Canada giving her citizenship and a chance at a new life but I don't know how Canadian an adult immigrant who spent about 10 years in the country can be. At her age it's just a chapter in her life.
CAS, it depends on what you mean by "being" Canadian/ Russian/ American. My grandparents emigrated in their 60s. Culturally, of course they are 90% "Russian". However, they are, deeply truly and sincerely, very proud of being American. They vote in every election, bet it local, state, or federal. They tend to root for America in Olympics. Being culturally Russian does not mean they are not deeply and truly Americans. (and no, of course I don't think that all immigrants are the same way; for many immigration is purely economic, I'm just pointing out that one does not preclude the other).

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think her resume looks better with two different gold medallists. I think she loves them both as children and I think a mother would be happiest if both children had a turn at winning gold. So I think at least subconsciously she has a preference.

And that's why I wish one of D/W or V/M had went with Igor or someone else. Someone who would give them their full attention and really focus on them being number 1. Someone 100% on their side.

I truly don't get V/M's packing in the free this year.