COP or Not | Golden Skate

COP or Not

berthes ghost

Final Flight
From www.torino2006.org
FoAr the Torino 2006 Winter Olympics the ISU will introduce a new system of evaluation, which will replace the preceding “Interim Judging System”. It has in fact already started to be applied in the 2003/04 season in all the main Grand Prix events.
Is this true? I thought that there was an uncoming vote? Did I miss it?

Berthes - The website is beautiful but there isn't much on it. I clicked on figure skating and not much happened. Where did you get that quote?

Joe

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the vote is just a formality. But it's certainly true that some change from the interim system will be in place. I hope that the USFSA and others who support the Australian plan will focus instead on just getting rid of the random draw and anonymous judging.

BTW, the English version seems quite a bit different from the Italian.

Mathman

thvudragon

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Yeah, it's pretty clear that the vote is just a formality. But it's certainly true that some change from the interim system will be in place. I hope that the USFSA and others who support the Australian plan will focus instead on just getting rid of the random draw and anonymous judging.
But the Australian Plan doesn't make sense. How would one drop the highest and lowest marks and create a system that functions well. OBO judging when placements are decided by judges placements, the Australian plan is too arbitrary! Of course, this was Australia's old proposal, I'm not so sure if they have invented a new one. Hopefully, it isn't moronic as the USFSA's proposal.

Anyway, I don't think that the CoP will be ready by 2006, but if that's the ISU's will, then so be it. I still think it's an improvement over the OBO where comparing 24 skaters with accuracy was a near impossiblibty. I think the main issue is simply training, and actually reading the criteria :p.

TV

TV, I think that the Australian plan is just a last-ditch effort to derail the CoP, by pretending to tweak the 6.0 ordinal system a little. Whether it makes sense or not, I think it's a dead duck.

I do think that the CoP will be ready in 2006. Why not? I think that the only changes will be to juggle the points for various elements -- a little more credit for quads and difficult combinations, for instance.

BUT -- I really do hope that they drop the random draw and the secret judging before 2006. The Olympic audience, which consists primarily of very casual fans who watch figure skating only once every four years, already thinks that the system is rigged and the judges are crooks. Why pour more oil on that fire?

Mathman