Any horse people on here? | Golden Skate

Any horse people on here?

Johar

Medalist
How much is a bale or hay and a bale of straw where you live?

What breeds do you like or own? Names of your horses?

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Howdy Johar,
My family has raised Appaloosa and Quarter horses for over 20 years.. I show mostly western, english, and the fence classes.. We have a lot of local friends who raise alphalfa and grass hay in square bales.. from 2-4.00 $ per bale.. Depending on quality.. Now I have friends in FL and WA areas that pay up to 12 $ a bale because it has to be shipped in.. We are lucky here in the midwest surrounded by hay growoing farmers.. Most of life I have been aeound horses and it is A LOT of work.. BUT the enjoyment I get out of it I can't see myself doing anything else..............................Peace

equestrianguy

On the Ice
OOPS!!.......I forgot names of some of my horses...lol Freddy Freeloper (Freddy)
Misty Eyed (Misty)
Zippos Mr Joe Quest (Joe)
Sweet Misty Zippo (Esther Sue)
A Lady's Invitation (Ivy)
Joan Van Art (Cleo)
Dee Dee Detail
Miles O Captive
I could go on, but we have like 24 head of horses...lol

Johar

Medalist
Appys are so pretty! I saw one give birth this past week on a live cam. Pretty quick birth. Appys seem to have thicker tales and manes than decades ago. Am I right?

My favorite breeds are Arabians and Thoroughbreds. I had a share of a racehorse, but despite good breeding9dad was KY Derby winner Go For Gin)and fast works he never won in 11 starts. It was very frustrating for all of us.

Arabians have such gorgeous features, but now some people within the breed feel they are becoming too refined. When I see Cass Ole(aka The Black Stallion) and some of the Egyptian-bred Arabians I can understand what they are saying.

But all horse breeds are nice in their own way.

bronxgirl

Medalist
My favorite horses tend to be thoroughbred crosses. Then again, I prefer mutts when it comes to dogs, and "domestic short hairs" in cats. Let's hear it for hybrid vigor!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't own a horse, but always wanted one and love horses. I live near Langley, the horse capital of the lower mainland. I wish I could take up riding.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I think I paid around $4 a bale when I got mine for Thanksgiving deco and then use it for mulch. Even though this is one of the parts of the country that grows the most wheat, doesn't seem to make it any cheaper. I know when I bought it only one would go in my trunk so had to make 3 trips as I needed 3 for my hydrangeas.
Boy, after around 60 years since I was on the farm, I still miss riding our horse. My uncle gave us one that got too old to work. His name was Rex and we didn't dare ride him fast much but we sure loved riding that horse. Of course, I'm sure that my uncle gave it to us because he didn't want to pay for feeding it. I wonder if skating isn't similar to galloping with the wind in your face? :love:

Blue Bead

Medalist
While I don't have any horses these days I was a professional trainer of both horses and riders for 20-plus years. I worked primarily with people just getting started in the show ring. The riding styles I taught ran the gamut from hunt seat equitation to western pleasure. Most of my horses were mixed breed. Several had a lot of quarter horse blood like quarter-thoroughbred, quarter-morgan, and quarter-arab. My favorite horse of all time was a half clydesdale and half quarter horse. He was 16.2 hands high and could do western, hunter/jumper, equitation, reining, and barrel racing. Colonel lived to the astounding age of 42 years before he succombed to multiple physical problems.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My family and horses: My late little sis rode quarter horses in the barrel races in the midwest. Actually, my father had a heart attack and died while pulling her horse & trailer to Ogallala, NE.
My sis just younger than me was the first rodeo queen in our home town of Burwell, NE. in 1947. Since then, you have to know how to ride, etc. to enter. :laugh: My Mother owned quarter horses after Daddy died. They were raced all over the midwest. So, I really was raised in a community of horses. The rodeo was and probably still is the rodeo capital of NE.

Last edited: