P&G/Walmart Legends of the Ice Special | Golden Skate

P&G/Walmart Legends of the Ice Special

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Ok.... a glaring omission - no Michelle Kwan??? How can you have a US Figure Skating Legends of the Ice special and NOT include MK???? Anyone have insight on this?

donezo

On the Ice
I'm sure she was invited and declined to participate. She is a busy woman!

I kind of died at Nancy skating to her 1994 short program music. I am shocked that anyone still has a recording of that muzak mess.

But wasn't it great to see Wylie skate to his 1992 long program? He did a great job for twenty-plus years later. The jumps were modified, of course, but his sit spin, spreadeagles, Ina Bauer, and split jumps were all beautiful, and of course his interpretive skills still shine through.

I was sorry Michelle didn't at least stand in the spotlight, but she seems to travel in a different orbit most of the time these days. The times she does appear are that much more special because of their rarity.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Michelle doesn't skate anymore. One might see her in Sochi perhaps? She was a Nationals to be inducted into World Hall of fame. Anyone have any video of that?

donezo

On the Ice
It was great to see Paul skate to Henry V again! That is a program I don't mind seeing repeated over and over again.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We attended the live show, which we loved, particularly for Paul, Adam, Brian B., Tanith & Ben, Kitty & Peter, and Nancy. I am bummed out that Adam's program wasn't shown ( I imagine because he didn't make the team for Sochi/Worlds). My only bone to pick with the concept of the show was the criteria for past "Legends." I felt it should have been broadened to include multi-time US champions/World medalists. Rant over!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Also no Peggy or Dorothy (both gold) or Janet Lynn, certainly a legend despite winning just a bronze.

Peggy was minimally involved with at least the preparatory interviews, it seems, because she was shown in one of the features. It's impossible to please everyone with a format like this, because someone will always be left offstage. I was sorry not to see Debi Thomas as well, and the first Olympic ice dance medalists (bronze), Colleen O'Connor and Jim Millns. But we don't know who was asked and whether anyone declined the invitation. Maybe we'll learn more in time. What fun to see the ones who were there, and how lovely that so many of the earlier champs decided to skate!

heyang

Record Breaker
Haven't gotten to the DVR yet, but as others have mentioned, there are many Legends of American skating. Janet Lynn hasn't appeared publicly as a skater in years - she seems to have removed herself from her skating entirely. Anyway, too many skaters to fit into such a brief show.

noskates

Record Breaker
I was amazed (yet again) at Paul and Brian. Paul especially because I don't know if he skates that much anymore. He still has those beautiful lines though. I also thought Sarah Hughes and her niece were adorable. Sarah looks in better shape than she did the last time I saw her in SOI. But what the heck has Tara Lipinski done to her face?

Mimzy

Rinkside
So great to see everyone! Anyone have any thoughts or updates about Sasha? Seeing her talk about the Pandora bracelet, with wedding cake ect. Made us wonder if we had missed something.

meem

On the Ice
I was amazed (yet again) at Paul and Brian. Paul especially because I don't know if he skates that much anymore. He still has those beautiful lines though. I also thought Sarah Hughes and her niece were adorable. Sarah looks in better shape than she did the last time I saw her in SOI. But what the heck has Tara Lipinski done to her face?

Paul's posture is fantastic and every gesture he makes while skating just seems to make a statement. I too have been wondering about Tara's face. IMO she looks as if she's been on heavy duty steroids (creating those chipmunk cheeks). Hope her health is ok.

Paul's posture is fantastic and every gesture he makes while skating just seems to make a statement. I too have been wondering about Tara's face. IMO she looks as if she's been on heavy duty steroids (creating those chipmunk cheeks). Hope her health is ok.

Oh, gosh, I didn't think of that. I hope you're wrong, but that's an unsettling possibility.