Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 209 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

Alba

Record Breaker
"mam" as in mother or madam? maybe his mom was babysitting dexter, she's blonde. tati's mom is also blonde, but he wouldn't call her mom.

The pronunciation was "mom", but a friend of mine who speaks russian told me they usually say "mam" like in mamma.

tati's mom is also blonde, but he wouldn't call her mom

That's what I thought too. Not that there is anything wrong with that. In Italy, for example, many would call their mother in law, or the mother of their partner in life, mamma. :)

Alba

Record Breaker
Thanks for the Mozer interview. In it Mozer notes that V&T’s music is a mixture of “Dracula” and “Van Helsing”. I’m pretty sure that they have used the romantic and melodic refrains from Van Helsing and perhaps some of the powerful, crashing parts from Dracula. But this is my question: do skaters or coaching teams have to pay royalties to composers or musicians for the music they use? And if they mix and match music from different sources, how do they calculate the royalties? Some music must be in the “public domain” but some must still be controlled by copyright? E.g. a film studio is not about to let their music be used for free, right? I’ve always wondered how this is handled.

Here you'll find all the explanations regarding this issue: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/rights-to-music-in-isu-events.90398/

svetik

On the Ice
The pronunciation was "mom", but a friend of mine who speaks russian told me they usually say "mam" like in mamma.

That's what I thought too. Not that there is anything wrong with that. In Italy, for example, many would call their mother in law, or the mother of their partner in life, mamma. :)

It was Maxim's mum,Valentina, as she has put some photos from Italy on her instagram.

Sofiya

Spectator
"How can anyone doubt their affection" - if this was said about my post, I wanted to say that i just try to believe in facts, not just in fantasies. If I was right or not only Tanya and Max know. Devochka, you are right, many people start to worry when there are no cute pics of two of them on instagram. Many people worry, but not everyone says it aloud. Sorry if i said something wrong here...

Devochka

Rinkside
Sofiya: I hope I didn't offend you, I had no idea you had posted something regarding their lack of pictures.

I'm very curious to see how the music scores from VH and Dracula will be edited to fit their choreography/program; is it common practice for skaters to use two different music scores in one program?

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I'm very curious to see how the music scores from VH and Dracula will be edited to fit their choreography/program; is it common practice for skaters to use two different music scores in one program?

Well, it happens quite commonly. Van Helsing and Dracula are related at least, but look at it:

Domnina/Shabalin 2009/2010 FD - Requiem for a dream by Clint Mansell and The Double Life of Véronique by Zbigniew Preisner
Bobrova/Soloviev 2012/2013 FD - Man with the harmonica by Ennio Morricone remix and Tosca by Puccini
Pechalat/Bourzat 2011/2012 FD - Passion by Peter Gabriel, In The Garden by Narada World, Le retour de Punt by Bernard Becker and Alf Layla Wa Layla by Ahmad Sidqi
Moore-Towers/Moscovitch 2009/2010 FS - Leyenda by Vanessa Mae, Romanza Concertino in A minor and Malaguena by Brian Setzer
Volosozhar/Kharchenko 2002/2003 FS ;) Romeo and Juliet by Tchaikovsky, Romeo and Juliet by Rota and Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev

Nessie

On the Ice
"How can anyone doubt their affection" - if this was said about my post, I wanted to say that i just try to believe in facts, not just in fantasies. If I was right or not only Tanya and Max know. Devochka, you are right, many people start to worry when there are no cute pics of two of them on instagram. Many people worry, but not everyone says it aloud. Sorry if i said something wrong here...

Sofiya, please don’t worry. You are allowed to have your feelings and conclusions about certain types of behavior from V&T! It’s not just you but others before you who have drawn conclusions as to why Max might seem moody, or out of sorts, or grumpy, and wondered if V&T’s relationship was on the rocks. It’s just conjecture and often it doesn’t last very long as some nice new sign of their love appears. We often don’t have much to go on, so we can easily go off in the wrong direction and we should just forgive ourselves when we are off base.

For the most part, you’re right to prefer facts, not fantasies, but the appeal of V&T is that they are a fantasy made real -- two physically beautiful people, two talented and gifted people who have worked tirelessly to master something at the highest levels, and while achieving their common goal, fall in love! That is the stuff of fantasy but from what we can observe it seems genuine. And for as long as it lasts, we are thrilled by it and attracted to the ideal. At least I am. Oi vay. I didn’t mean to give a sermon, but sometimes I feel I have to justify the time I spend admiring them and finding out little things about them, and why their life makes me happy ( as I said the other day).

Thanks for the answers about the music!

I sure hope Max doesn’t wear vampire teeth or something. That would be just too literal and entirely beneath them.

Sofiya

Spectator
Devochka, no offence, I didn't mean anything like that.
It’s just conjecture and often it doesn’t last very long as some nice new sign of their love appears. We often don’t have much to go on, so we can easily go off in the wrong direction and we should just forgive ourselves when we are off base.

For the most part, you’re right to prefer facts, not fantasies, but the appeal of V&T is that they are a fantasy made real -- two physically beautiful people, two talented and gifted people who have worked tirelessly to master something at the highest levels, and while achieving their common goal, fall in love! That is the stuff of fantasy but from what we can observe it seems genuine. And for as long as it lasts, we are thrilled by it and attracted to the ideal. At least I am. Oi vay. I didn’t mean to give a sermon, but sometimes I feel I have to justify the time I spend admiring them and finding out little things about them, and why their life makes me happy ( as I said the other day).
Nessie, beautifully said!
Ok, for my own reasons i was glad when that show in China ended...)
For me personally it doesn't matter what exactly they do, and how they behave in that part of life which is their private (i don't even want to know this) if they are happy! By the way, it's the same as their programs - in general i don't care what music they choose, because whatever they choose, if they take this or that music it means that they want it, that it feels comfortable, and they will add to the images in such a way that it will suit them perfectly!

svetik

On the Ice
Sofiya, please don’t worry. You are allowed to have your feelings and conclusions about certain types of behavior from V&T! It’s not just you but others before you who have drawn conclusions as to why Max might seem moody, or out of sorts, or grumpy, and wondered if V&T’s relationship was on the rocks. It’s just conjecture and often it doesn’t last very long as some nice new sign of their love appears. We often don’t have much to go on, so we can easily go off in the wrong direction and we should just forgive ourselves when we are off base.

Thanks for the answers about the music!

I sure hope Max doesn’t wear vampire teeth or something. That would be just too literal and entirely beneath them.

Nessie, well said. I agree with everything in your post. Maxim has put a picture of him and Dexter with one of hashtags my pet. I have read an interview of Vladimir Morozov,who skates with Tarasova in Mozer group. Morozov was asked about Maxim choreographing both programs for them and he said,Maxim was shy first, than he got more confident. It was first experience for Maxim as a choreographer.

Nessie

On the Ice
Nessie, well said. I agree with everything in your post. Maxim has put a picture of him and Dexter with one of hashtags my pet. I have read an interview of Vladimir Morozov,who skates with Tarasova in Mozer group. Morozov was asked about Maxim choreographing both programs for them and he said,Maxim was shy first, than he got more confident. It was first experience for Maxim as a choreographer.

Right, that was Morozov -- the red-haired guy that I saw, with his petite partner and Max coaching them. I thought Max was just being nice - I didn't realize the choreography was from Max himself!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I guess at one point or another you have all seen this but I found it a few weeks ago. Ouch!

Unfortunantely, I can't see it in my country, but I suppose you mean this accident (if anybody else want to see it, too):

http://youtu.be/xMdl3eUg5y4?t=3m50s

I know, it is awful but figure skating accidents are quite fascinating to watch. The most fascinating thing is that you can see how dangerous sport figure skating is and what a mad way the skaters have to sacrifice sometimes. I really admire them for waht they re doing and I can understand why Max cares so much about Tania's health by refusing to do quad jumps or another very risky elements.
Three really dangerous accidents:

Karel Štefl and Olga Prokuronova from the Czech Republic, their only international competition together, European Championships in Lyon, they split shortly after it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IwKBUaaoOc

Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin, future (by then) Olympic champions and their famous terrible accident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfX-sPtVCmg

Ingo Steuer (yes, that Ingo :p) and Mandy Woetzel in Lillehammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpN4rnzvUvg

Devochka

Rinkside
Well, it happens quite commonly. Van Helsing and Dracula are related at least, but look at it:

Domnina/Shabalin 2009/2010 FD - Requiem for a dream by Clint Mansell and The Double Life of Véronique by Zbigniew Preisner
Bobrova/Soloviev 2012/2013 FD - Man with the harmonica by Ennio Morricone remix and Tosca by Puccini
Pechalat/Bourzat 2011/2012 FD - Passion by Peter Gabriel, In The Garden by Narada World, Le retour de Punt by Bernard Becker and Alf Layla Wa Layla by Ahmad Sidqi
Moore-Towers/Moscovitch 2009/2010 FS - Leyenda by Vanessa Mae, Romanza Concertino in A minor and Malaguena by Brian Setzer
Volosozhar/Kharchenko 2002/2003 FS ;) Romeo and Juliet by Tchaikovsky, Romeo and Juliet by Rota and Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev

Thank you so much! I'm still a fairly new fan to figure skating and I really appreciate learning from you guys! :)

Nessie

On the Ice
Unfortunantely, I can't see it in my country, but I suppose you mean this accident (if anybody else want to see it, too):

http://youtu.be/xMdl3eUg5y4?t=3m50s

I know, it is awful but figure skating accidents are quite fascinating to watch. The most fascinating thing is that you can see how dangerous sport figure skating is and what a mad way the skaters have to sacrifice sometimes. I really admire them for waht they re doing and I can understand why Max cares so much about Tania's health by refusing to do quad jumps or another very risky elements.
Three really dangerous accidents:

Karel Štefl and Olga Prokuronova from the Czech Republic, their only international competition together, European Championships in Lyon, they split shortly after it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IwKBUaaoOc

Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin, future (by then) Olympic champions and their famous terrible accident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfX-sPtVCmg

Ingo Steuer (yes, that Ingo :p) and Mandy Woetzel in Lillehammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpN4rnzvUvg

Thanks, LittleLotte, yes, that's it. Right, when skaters are so good we forget how dangerous it is. I know of the Tomianinna accident but I'll check out the others now.

Nessie

On the Ice
I remember the Woetzel/Steuer one now…. But back to the V/T fall – was this the occasion when Max complained that his skates had not been properly sharpened?

One thing that is also interesting to see is how the two skaters realize the danger of the situation when they crash. That is, in V&T’s case, and in the Woetzel/Steuer, fall too, each skater is trying to calculate how not to injure his/her partner with their blades. Tati seemed very aware that she had to keep her legs wide apart so as not to skate over any part of Max and he was holding his arm up to keep her from falling further. Not only are they trained in their skating elements, but trained on how to minimize injury!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov had a really bad accident, too. It happened during Russian Nationals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9p1gUU7olw

I heard that Stefania Berton and Ondrej Hotarek had an accident during the training in Sochi - she fell down on their "famous" lift (you know, this one when he holds her thighs).

But back to the V/T fall – was this the occasion when Max complained that his skates had not been properly sharpened?

As far as I know, he complained about it a season earlier. He had an injury then (similar to the current one, they also had to stop working on lifts) because of skating with blades not properly sharpened.

Tati seemed very aware that she had to keep her legs wide apart so as not to skate over any part of Max and he was holding his arm up to keep her from falling further.

Yes, they both seem to be quite calm. I believe they have to stay calm not to hurt each other in a serious way. Ingo looked quite tranquilly, too, he just embraced Mandy and carried her out of an ice rink.

kinoriH

Final Flight
Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov had a really bad accident, too. It happened during Russian Nationals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9p1gUU7olw

Stas' face at the K&C. :laugh: (Didn't know he was their coach!)
Max just can't stop speaking throughout the whole performance.. love his reaction to the fall though. He's so into it. You could really sense how bad he felt for them and for Evgenia especially. I truely think he'd make a great coach/choreographer. :)