Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 264 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

Nessie

On the Ice
(Woke up in the middle of the night and decided to check the results, because why not)

Well, good for them to get the first skate jitters out. Hopefully they'll be less nervous now for the LP. It would be nerve-wracking for anyone to come back after a long absence, especially under such high expectations!

absolutely right. No question about it... Nerves are powerful things! Lawrence Olivier used to vomit every time he went on stage...

Alba

Record Breaker
Most of the Pairs had problems with the death spiral and the twist apparently. I'm not worried about V&T. It's their first competition after a long break and an injury. The adrenalin, the nerves can play you bad tricks. Max was not in a good day today. It happens to the best. Once they get the technical elements with the quality we know they have the PCS will rise also. They just need more time and competitions.

Thanks for the clip! Watching it again -- Have I got it wrong or did it seem that Max just barely caught Tanya in time, as she came down from the throw? He seemed to realize he was too far from her and he went to extreme lengths (and that’s when he tripped on his toe pick) to make sure to catch her. It was a little nerve-wracking really…

Yes, he barely caught her. Hence the negative GoE's. He didn't tripped on the twist though but on the Th3Flip.

Last edited:

Nessie

On the Ice
Most of the Pairs had problems with the death spiral and the twist apparently. I'm not worried about V&T. It's their first competition after a long break and an injury. The adrenalin, the nerves can play you bad tricks. Max was not in a good day today. It happens to the best. Once they get the technical elements with the quality we know they have the PCS will rise also. They just need more time and competitions.

Yes, he barely caught her. Hence the negative GoE's. He didn't tripped on the twist though but on the Th3Flip.

thanks -- yes, and agree with all your points.

Just B

Rinkside
Oh goodness! It was hard to watch :( A beautiful performance nonetheless :)

Wishing them the best on the long program :)

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Actually, I thought the death spiral was done very well, just that they didn't hold it for enough revolutions (an idiotic rule, in my opinion).

aceiel

Rinkside
Actually, I thought the death spiral was done very well, just that they didn't hold it for enough revolutions (an idiotic rule, in my opinion).

Ooo how come you dont like the rule? :O (oh i dont mean that in a bad way btw im just genuinely curious! I barely know anything about technical stuff :laugh:)

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Ooo how come you dont like the rule? :O (oh i dont mean that in a bad way btw im just genuinely curious! I barely know anything about technical stuff :laugh:)

To get level 4 on a death spiral, you have to have do:

*Difficult/creative entry and/or exit
*At least two full revolutions in the "low" position

Most teams only do the difficult/creative entry, so that means they have to do 3 revolutions in the low position. It's kind of like it's forcing them to forget about choreography in order to do the extra revolutions to get the bigger points. The criteria should be something like:

*Difficult/creative entry or exit
*Change of arm hold (used to be one of the criteria)
*Increase in speed (maybe)
*Full revolution in low position (count each revolution)

Last edited:

aceiel

Rinkside
Ahhhh right I see what you mean! Thanks for explaining :) I agree the change in arm hold should come back tbh, it just looked so impressive to me when I first started watching pairs figure skating.

Alba

Record Breaker
*Difficult/creative entry or exit
*Change of arm hold (used to be one of the criteria)
*Increase in speed (maybe)
*Full revolution in low position (count each revolution)

Maybe not lose speed would be better.

My question is they lost 2 levels from level 4.

Sfey

On the Ice
Part of me is hoping this lights a fire under them and they'll have a fantastic free skate like they did at the 2012 Worlds, but I guess a more reasonable wish for them is they skate the free skate cleanly with less nerves. Wishing them the best of luck either way.

This is only the beginning! Better they work through the nerves here than during the GP, imo.

Nessie

On the Ice
If someone could send the link to the "live" streaming for this afternoon's pairs free skate, that would be fabulous! Thank you in advance....

kinoriH

Final Flight
Here's their LP morning practice from today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf67IlwI-Jo

Each element on its own looks incredible. the only thing that is lacking is a bit more speed, confidence and the ability to maintain the full performance, especially during competitions.
it's like learning how to walk all over again, or feeling dizzy after spending too much time in bed..

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I think it's good that they're starting the season early here. Since Bombard is still a ways away, it will give them time to work out the bugs. :)