Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 281 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

TatiMax

On the Ice
No, it's about the Latvian boy, Denis Vasiljevs, coached by Alexei Urmanov in the Sochi figure skating center, which is named in honour of V/T (they took part in establishing this center, enrolling the first group of children in it, etc.)

:thumbsup: Thanks for the translation. What can we do without you? ;)

Sfey

On the Ice
I just realised Worlds takes place during my birthday! I don't know if that's a great birthday gift or a source of anxiety... I keep telling myself I'll be happy if V/T have a good performance even if they don't win.

... But I'd really like them to win. :p

kinoriH

Final Flight
I just realised Worlds takes place during my birthday! I don't know if that's a great birthday gift or a source of anxiety... I keep telling myself I'll be happy if V/T have a good performance even if they don't win.

... But I'd really like them to win. :p

it takes place during my birthday too! (March 31st). :cool: when were you born?

For some reason I have this weird feeling that it's going to be a battle between Sui/Han and Stolbova/Klimov. I just don't think V/T are back in their old, olympic shape yet.
their scores at Euros were pretty good but it seems like it's gonna take a whole lot more than that if they want to dominate again and not just win with a 2 point margin. To me it just seems like they're holding something back and I'm not sure what it is.

please everyone tell me I'm wrong.. lol

Sfey

On the Ice
it takes place during my birthday too! (March 31st). :cool: when were you born?

For some reason I have this weird feeling that it's going to be a battle between Sui/Han and Stolbova/Klimov. I just don't think V/T are back in their old, olympic shape yet.
their scores at Euros were pretty good but it seems like it's gonna take a whole lot more than that if they want to dominate again and not just win with a 2 point margin. To me it just seems like they're holding something back and I'm not sure what it is.

please everyone tell me I'm wrong.. lol

My birthday is March 31 too! Cool.

I'm fine if Sui/Han or S/K win, since I like both teams. I don't think V/T are holding back, but they're not in their top form yet, understandably since they had setbacks with injury this season, plus Tanya was sick at Euros so she wasn't skating her absolute best according to her (though she was still pretty amazing!). If V/T have great skates which they are happy with, I'm happy. If they get onto the podium in some place, I'm overjoyed. If they win, I'll be ecstatic. :)

Sfey

On the Ice
Plus the petty side of me remembers reading the forums before the season began and seeing people write off V/T completely, so the fact that they've come back as top contenders for Worlds is great schadenfreude for me. :p

monwara

Rinkside
My birthday is March 31 too! Cool.

I'm fine if Sui/Han or S/K win, since I like both teams. I don't think V/T are holding back, but they're not in their top form yet, understandably since they had setbacks with injury this season, plus Tanya was sick at Euros so she wasn't skating her absolute best according to her (though she was still pretty amazing!). If V/T have great skates which they are happy with, I'm happy. If they get onto the podium in some place, I'm overjoyed. If they win, I'll be ecstatic. :)

I agree with you both, KinoriH and Sfey.
My thoughts are:
- This season is a tough season for them (as they said) as there are many strong competitors such as S/H or S/K or S/M (may be) or D/R with difficult elements. Sometimes I feel the same as KinoriH that they may be not the winner. Even people said in many forums that V/T are not the first tier contenders this season.
- But, after they compete in many events, they show that they are a real fighter. They can overcome many difficulties (Not a good shape in NHT, Tanya's injury in TEB and Tanya's ill in Euro) and got the first place on the podium. In European, I wonder that how it be if S/M skate clean. The judges give higher PCS score for them and many people think V/T are not judge's sweetheart anymore (who care? they are a talent skater and my favorite:laugh:)
- For Worlds champion, It's exciting competition, all pairs are there. I think our V/T will get the place on a podium but which place we'll see. I totally agree with Sfey that If they have great skates which they are happy with, we're happy no matter what. Go Go V/T

PS. Someones said in some forums that V/T may not join World champion in Boston, but who knows.

Sorry for my English, it's not good:)

Last edited:

eli60056

On the Ice
For me V/T are in a class of their own and there is no one close to that class (my apologies to the S/K fans out there, but they have a long way to go yet to reach that class of sophistication and not just learned choreo movements). As Tania and Max often say they can only lose to themselves. If they perform clean skates with a lot of emotion, there will be no question of them winning, if they make mistakes, then of course they can lose to someone else. I don't know why people on the boards have written them off already, considering they have not lost any competition this season, but it looks to me a lot like a wishful thinking of some and I don't take it seriously. Tania and Max know what they are doing better than anyone else, and I believe they can win. I wish them health, health and health again, all else they can get themselves.
On none of the starts so far they were in optimal shape, and yet they won. Imagine if they are in a peak shape, how much better they will be.

Sfey

On the Ice
I though V/T had higher PCS at Euros than S/M, though not by much.

I think the results of this season show how unpredictable results actually are. Before the season started a lot of people were saying that V/T and S/K would never be contenders again and D/R would be unbeatable (which I think was pretty presumptuous in both cases since at this point none of the teams had competed!). Now V/T and S/K are favourites for the World title and a lot of people seem to be wondering if D/R will even make it onto the podium (myself, I'm not counting them out). Worlds are a month away and a lot can happen in that time. One thing that I think is certain is that all teams will be training very hard.

Though given how the season has gone, maybe the best we can hope for is that we don't have any more injuries among the pair teams!

Btw, Monwara, I think your English is great. :)

Sfey

On the Ice
For me V/T are in a class of their own and there is no one close to that class (my apologies to the S/K fans out there, but they have a long way to go yet to reach that class of sophistication and not just learned choreo movements). As Tania and Max often say they can only lose to themselves. If they perform clean skates with a lot of emotion, there will be no question of them winning, if they make mistakes, then of course they can lose to someone else. I don't know why people on the boards have written them off already, considering they have not lost any competition this season, but it looks to me a lot like a wishful thinking of some and I don't take it seriously. Tania and Max know what they are doing better than anyone else, and I believe they can win. I wish them health, health and health again, all else they can get themselves.
On none of the starts so far they were in optimal shape, and yet they won. Imagine if they are in a peak shape, how much better they will be.

That's a great point, V/T are the only pair going into Worlds undefeated. They have the second highest total score of the season last I checked, and the highest short program score. That and their figure skating royalty status could be pretty intimidating for the other teams, which could make a difference. V/T have experience on their side, they know how to cope under pressure.

HermioneG

On the Ice
As for me, I think VT can fight for any medal at WCh, but it will not be like an easy walk for them. SH first of all and DR also can fight, they has an advantage in TES in FS, but I think they should loose SP if VT skate clean. SK... Well, at the moment Fedor is in NY at medical exam, so it's hard to say even will they go or not, not to say about medals. But when they are in a shape - well, it's better just to watch GPF, espetially FS :)
First of all I want to see a perfect skate from VT, and I don't care about what place they'll take with it.

TatiMax

On the Ice
Worlds will be a test of whether they can compete at higher level with top skaters or they will retire soon.
Whatever it is they have the right to do both. They know their own bodies, they know what they can and can't do.
I think Max has real problems in free skate, by the end of the routine he becomes very tried.
This is why worlds will be the real test, top skaters top judges one arena.

eli60056

On the Ice
Worlds will be a test of whether they can compete at higher level with top skaters or they will retire soon.
Whatever it is they have the right to do both. They know their own bodies, they know what they can and can't do.
I think Max has real problems in free skate, by the end of the routine he becomes very tried.
This is why worlds will be the real test, top skaters top judges one arena.

This sounds laughable. They are competing at the highest level and have the second best score of the season, and you can't say that the judges have been especially generous with them so far unlike with some others-see Euros and GPF once again. Max had no visible problems in the Euros LP-on the contrary, he was helping Tania there as well, because (just in case you did not know) she was on the ice with a fever and a nose bleed that started just before the LP. You can see the nose bleed just after the LP again-when they go towards the boards. She was with a fever on the SP as well-she had a flu. But unlike some other skaters with the same condition, they did not use that information to gain sympathy, did not advertise it and went out, did their job and won.

Last edited:

eli60056

On the Ice
I was so mad after reading they didn't feel the earthquake in Japan because they were in the train. :palmf: I remember they vanished for 3 days during the earthquake I thought they would share scary stories about the earthquake or running from the tsunami. :scard7:
Surviving a tsunami would be epic. :cool:

I sincerely hope that was a joke and not really your wishful thinking. But if not, for some real thrill you can always go yourself to those places in the world where a natural disaster is about to strike and then you will have your own scary stories to tell us all firsthand. :)

TatiMax

On the Ice
This sounds laughable. They are competing at the highest level and have the second best score of the season, and you can't say that the judges have been especially generous with them so far unlike with some others-see Euros and GPF once again. Max had no visible problems in the Euros LP-on the contrary, he was helping Tania there as well, because (just in case you did not know) she was on the ice with a fever and nose bleed that started just before the LP. You can see the nose bleed just after the LP again-when they go towards the boards. She was with a fever on the SP as well-she had a flu. But unlike some other skaters with the same condition, they did not use that information to gain sympathy, did not advertise it and went out, did their job and won.

This is my way of watching sports. As my name indicate I am their fan! I didn't do a crime. I didn't mean they can't compete. What I meant to say is we don't know if they could be back to full commitment to the sport. Not because they are bad, but because they have been doing this sport from very young age and at one point their bodies won't be able to continue going from a top competition to another one competing with top teams just like they did in 2013/2014 season, especially that Russia has many promising young pairs. I didn't actually say this happened already I said we don't know, and that worlds is a good opportunity to get a clearer vision to anticipate their future state.
Please calm down, I am their fan. I want them to win. I want them to be at next Olympics and get a medal whatever its color, but I don't want them to compete just for competing and tarnish their names just like Plushenko in Sochi.
Good luck to them whatever their decision is. :)

TatiMax

On the Ice
I sincerely hope that was a joke and not really your wishful thinking. But if not, for some real thrill you can always go yourself to those places in the world where a natural disaster is about to strike and then you will have your own scary stories to tell us all firsthand. :)

Yes it was a joke. It is not like I actually wanted them to come from under the rubble. :palmf:

eli60056

On the Ice
This is my way of watching sports. As my name indicate I am their fan! I didn't do a crime. I didn't mean they can't compete. What I meant to say is we don't know if they could be back to full commitment to the sport. Not because they are bad, but because they have been doing this sport from very young age and at one point their bodies won't be able to continue going from a top competition to another one competing with top teams just like they did in 2013/2014 season, especially that Russia has many promising young pairs. I didn't actually say this happened already I said we don't know, and that worlds is a good opportunity to get a clearer vision to anticipate their future state.
Please calm down, I am their fan. I want them to win. I want them to be at next Olympics and get a medal whatever its color, but I don't want them to compete just for competing and tarnish their names just like Plushenko in Sochi.

I am calm and after your explanation, now I understand your meaning. But by what you say, the same applies to D/R, Aliona, and K/S, in other words the only top contenders that are left that don't have the "age" issue are only two pairs - S/H and S/K. Still one more place left at the podium there, right?
The only way V/T can possibly tarnish their names is if they behave dishonorably as people, but not if they go to competitions and honestly win or lose there.
Re: Plushenko-I know that he is a persona non-grata for many Russians, but since I am not a Russian, as an outsider, in my eyes he has not tarnished his name either. If it wasn't for him, the Russian team may not have had that OGM at all. Imagine one of their other male skaters doing a splat after splat on the ice (as far as I remember the OG men's competition was indeed a splat fest), and how that would have influenced all the Russian team members after him.
Max said that having Plushenko on the team helped them all a lot and I see no reason to doubt it.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
:laugh:

Yes it was a joke. It is not like I actually wanted them to come from under the rubble. :palmf:
I can't help responding to this... :laugh: You are such a humorous new-comer! Welcome!

kinoriH

Final Flight
It's been a while since this thread was this active.. ;)TatiMax I love your sense of humour too.lol

Max left a comment on Tanya's latest post on instagram. Something like "my beloved Leoplod". (Leopold was a cartoon character in russia, a grey little cat).

borzaya

Final Flight
I am calm and after your explanation, now I understand your meaning. But by what you say, the same applies to D/R, Aliona, and K/S, in other words the only top contenders that are left that don't have the "age" issue are only two pairs - S/H and S/K. Still one more place left at the podium there, right?
The only way V/T can possibly tarnish their names is if they behave dishonorably as people, but not if they go to competitions and honestly win or lose there.
Re: Plushenko-I know that he is a persona non-grata for many Russians, but since I am not a Russian, as an outsider, in my eyes he has not tarnished his name either. If it wasn't for him, the Russian team may not have had that OGM at all. Imagine one of their other male skaters doing a splat after splat on the ice (as far as I remember the OG men's competition was indeed a splat fest), and how that would have influenced all the Russian team members after him.
Max said that having Plushenko on the team helped them all a lot and I see no reason to doubt it.

I agree with you on both points - concerning V/T and pairs in general, and concerning Plushenko. I'm Russian, and I don't think that he has tarnished his name at all :rolleye: (not to mention what an important role he played for the team, too). Injuries could happen to anyone - and then the whole situation got twisted by haters to their liking, the version that got spread further by hundreds of those people who care about figure skating only for a few days in four years, during the Olympics...

borzaya

Final Flight
It's been a while since this thread was this active.. ;)TatiMax I love your sense of humour too.lol

Max left a comment on Tanya's latest post on instagram. Something like "my beloved Leoplod". (Leopold was a cartoon character in russia, a grey little cat).

Well, he was not little and was not grey :laugh: http://suft.ru/children/18.png
I think it's that big bow-tie which made Max remember about Leopold... :biggrin: Another feature of this character is, that he was very friendly and kind, too (in spite of being constantly pestered by two mischievous mice )