Super Bowl 48 -- Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl Champions! | Golden Skate

Super Bowl 48 -- Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl Champions!

heyang

Record Breaker
I was pretty indifferent to who I wanted to win. I was leaning towards the Broncos because the Year of the Horse started this past Friday.

My nephew was curious as to why so many people wanted the Broncos over the Seahawks.

Regardless, I'm happy. I was in 2 box pools and had the right #'s for the 1st quarter on both of them to win $200.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Congrats to you Mrs. P....

I'm hearing some very sad things about how Hawks fans are reacting in Seattle. vandalism is never cool.

I hadn't paid attention, and when I opened a news site and saw the score, I was knocked back. What an unexpected outcome! I feel bad for Manning, who's supposed to be one of the best quarterbacks ever.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I, on the other hand, am as gleeful as a Seattle fan about the outcome. For several reasons, neither Mr. Ski nor I have ever been fond of the Denver team, and it got very tiresome this year when commentators again and again made it sound like it was a done deal that the Broncos would win the Super Bowl.

One thing-there surely are some unhappy bookies today- I doubt very much if they laid off as big a point spread as that for the game.

louisa05

Final Flight
I hadn't paid attention, and when I opened a news site and saw the score, I was knocked back. What an unexpected outcome! I feel bad for Manning, who's supposed to be one of the best quarterbacks ever.

He is. And this is what bothers me about an outcome like this. People who don't really follow the sport will use it to demean a great athlete. He didn't have a great game, but his teammates had a horrifyingly bad game and that was the bigger difference.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Congrats, Mrs. P, and all Seattle fans! And heyang, too, for your pool win. :)

I had no horse in the race; I'm just very happy that everything went off safely. I grew up and spent most of my life within five miles of The Meadowlands (yep, we still call it that around here) and I now live about ten miles away, still within the county. Never thought we'd have a Super Bowl here in our backyard.

And don't you know, after all that, we had a break in the weather for the game. It was about 49 degrees at the start and in the mid 30s by time it ended. A heat wave after what we've been having, lol. And this morning we've got about six inches of snow on the ground. :laugh:

I feel bad for Peyton Manning, too. I watched a documentary about the Mannings several weeks ago on television. What a nice family.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I, on the other hand, am as gleeful as a Seattle fan about the outcome. For several reasons, neither Mr. Ski nor I have ever been fond of the Denver team, and it got very tiresome this year when commentators again and again made it sound like it was a done deal that the Broncos would win the Super Bowl.

One thing-there surely are some unhappy bookies today- I doubt very much if they laid off as big a point spread as that for the game.

Yes, that definitely got old, especially when they kept jabbering about how a defense team shouldn't win the Super Bowl. As Russ Wilson said. "Why not us?"

I totally get the Peyton Manning love, as he's a great quarterback, but it also grew tiresome that should be the reason they should win. I think one ESPN commentator even said that it was "Un-American" to cheer against Peyton Manning. Seriously...didn't realize that Russ Wilson was not American. :p

That said, louisa05, I think most people know that Peyton had a bad game yesterday and that it shouldn't define his career. But sadly as we seen on these boards, for some you are as good as your last game. :(

louisa05

Final Flight
Yes, that definitely got old, especially when they kept jabbering about how a defense team shouldn't win the Super Bowl. As Russ Wilson said. "Why not us?"

I totally get the Peyton Manning love, as he's a great quarterback, but it also grew tiresome that should be the reason they should win. I think one ESPN commentator even said that it was "Un-American" to cheer against Peyton Manning. Seriously...didn't realize that Russ Wilson was not American. :p

That said, louisa05, I think most people know that Peyton had a bad game yesterday and that it shouldn't define his career. But sadly as we seen on these boards, for some you are as good as your last game. :(

I have an idiot cousin who was plastering anti-Peyton crap all over FB all night because 1-he is a great QB and 2--he is documented as an all around good guy thus she and her ilk feel compelled to root against him. It is that whole "if people admire someone I must go against the grain and hate him" thing that we have in this country. That bothers me just as much as the people who think you must root for someone because they are one of the great ones. It is in some ways worse because it appeals to some base instinct to tear people down for being good in any way.

And kind of off-topic but for levity, same idiot cousin posted a long FB status about how "intellectual" the Maserati commercial was and how football fans are all so dumb that they were confused by it. And she spelled Maserati wrong in the post!! Oh, irony, how I love you some days!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have an idiot cousin who was plastering anti-Peyton crap all over FB all night because 1-he is a great QB and 2--he is documented as an all around good guy thus she and her ilk feel compelled to root against him. It is that whole "if people admire someone I must go against the grain and hate him" thing that we have in this country. That bothers me just as much as the people who think you must root for someone because they are one of the great ones. It is in some ways worse because it appeals to some base instinct to tear people down for being good in any way.

And kind of off-topic but for levity, same idiot cousin posted a long FB status about how "intellectual" the Maserati commercial was and how football fans are all so dumb that they were confused by it. And she spelled Maserati wrong in the post!! Oh, irony, how I love you some days!

Wow he does sound like an idiot.

Actually I found the amount of Peyton Manning mancrushing on my Facebook feed endearing. I had one co-worker who opted to wear Peyton's Indianapolis Colts jersey while the rest of us worse Seahawks gear on casual Friday.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He is. And this is what bothers me about an outcome like this. People who don't really follow the sport will use it to demean a great athlete. He didn't have a great game, but his teammates had a horrifyingly bad game and that was the bigger difference.

exactly. I hate that it's all on the QB... his receivers were flubbing called plays and the defense never showed up.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Um... the commentators are saying the Denver defense were the best part of the Denver team yesterday, but no one would remember that because of the score-which was blown up by special teams errors and offensive team turnovers not to mention the safety.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Denver's defense is not close to what it should've been for the SB. Seahawks, yes, scored most of their points through their defense, but Denver's defense was not so stellar as to say they did their job well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but they were the best of an overall subpage team performance.

Last edited:

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Mrs. P, you're definitely not the only one thrilled. I loved watching it! I've waited a lifetime to see a Seattle team (of any kind) win a championship.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey, MLS, where were you at nats? We missed you! :)
Chris who noted the gunfire around his house from happy Seahawk fans has died down tonight.

For those of you who are saying Payton had a terrible game, look over the stats here and you'll find he wasn't that bad (though a couple of the turnovers might be pinned on him): http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/records-set-tied-in-super-bowl-xlviii-020214 He still set a record for passes completed in a Super Bowl, and they had more first downs than the Seahawks. It's the turnovers that hurt most.