PyeongChang 2018 emblem | Golden Skate

PyeongChang 2018 emblem

GiveHer6.0's

Rinkside
<off topic..sorry guys> All this talk about Yuna and Sochi2014 made me think of the next winter olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea in 2018. What do you think of the new logo? At first I HATED it, but after watching the video, I might be changing my mind. I feel like it is a new and modern take on Olympic designs...the jury may still be out.
oh btw...my pre pre pre prediction for gold? Radionova from Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSvQcrb6Hjs

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Is there an option for "I don't care"? ;)

Anyway, it looks fine. Anything is better then the pink monstrosity London had. This is quite clean and simple and will translate to 3D (architecture, statues, etc) very well.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I like it. One thing the video didn't make very clear is that the symbol is based on the first letter (for lack of a better word) in each syllable of PyeongChang. The square-looking shape (ㅍ) represents the p sound in the Korean alphabet, while the star-looking shape (ㅊ) is the ch sound. In Korean, PyeongChang looks like this: 평창. I like that the logo reflects something unique about the host country.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
The design doesn't look very cohesive and balanced. I'm probably not fully getting the Korean aesthetic of it. In any case, it's not spectacular but not an eyesore.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I really like their logo. For some reason I can't understand, a lot of people hate it with the fire of a thousand suns. But I think it's going to make for really cool branding.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
I'm Korean(-American) and I don't really like it. It's the star that bothers me, because it looks more like an asterisk. IDK, maybe it'll grow on me.

Icey

Record Breaker
What is the spirit of Korea? It looks more like an icon for Greece imo.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
<off topic..sorry guys> All this talk about Yuna and Sochi2014 made me think of the next winter olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea in 2018. What do you think of the new logo? At first I HATED it, but after watching the video, I might be changing my mind. I feel like it is a new and modern take on Olympic designs...the jury may still be out.
oh btw...my pre pre pre prediction for gold? Radionova from Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSvQcrb6Hjs

Initial thoughts:

This feels like a design by committee exercise, devoid of personality and quirkiness and ends up appealing to the most generic politically correct universal reasons possible that appeals only to those in the know. In the process it may satisfy the self important old men in suits in that boardroom who voted on the design (and likely to have pass off some of the more creative solution possible), but the fact it lacks freshness, creativity, far too serious AND literal for an Olympic emblem prevent it to be a great design people want to keep and revisit for today. In 4 years time however, it is hard to say. Anyone know who design it? I'd certainly laugh it is by the Samsung team, because it sure looks like it. It is totally digital age looking.

Having said that, aiming for universal appeal might not be a bad thing in principle, although I think a huge problem will be the thickness of the colour blocks, and sharp corners will not translate well in smaller sizes, particularly the arrow to form the astrix/snowflake. It may suffer from proportion problems, as these details will not be easily seen on a smaller scale. If the block are thicker and more organic shaped might be more friendlier, distinctive and more cohesive and in balance. Spirit of Korea is made out of perfectly cut match sticks? Devoid of roundness, curves and so angular, lack in interesting shapes to be a unique friendly emblem.

Despite all the criticism about the London 2012 games logo, at least it is original, bold, quirky, daring, lively, and full of personality, that reflect the vibrancy, the dynamism of the city of London well. A little controversy is welcomed think of the buzz factor, never boring, land of juicy tabloids, eccentrics and jolly drinkers that are always on the cutting edge of creativity. (The mascot however is entirely a different story that can give Putin nightmares! I am a proud owner of a limited gold cuddly edition though... love it!) The Pyeongchang logo says to me, it is the country of academics and artificiality/tech/science over emotion or nature (other than symbolic qualities), it may satisfy the school teachers and professors in education, or the digital businessmen but it lacks the adventurous, spirited, vitality and excitement of outdoor sports that are about movements that are not static. However the match stick idea does reference its youth centric pitch well, about building blocks, back to basics, the elementary essentials.

I am curious on the mascot now, hopefully more roundness instead of a stick man with furrowed expressions.

Positives:

Easy too produce.
Inks saving.
Eco friendly.
Expect a lot of Stick man like merchandises.
Great talking point to show aspect of Korean characters subliminally in bite sizes.

Negatives:

Easy to produce.
Hard to incorporate copy right.
Will have quality control issues with proportion /ratio sizes. Especially the rectangular shape corners. If they had rounded corners instead of 90degree angles, it may worked better.
Too many Stick-man like merchandises, or fussy pattern made of match stick colours, it will scream for need big block of colors and happy shapes.
Not enough universal appeal, and really how Korean is it I have no idea or does it matter? Is it memorable, unforgettable?

I like Beijing, Sydney, and Vancouver emblems the best even more than Sochi (far too serious and self important, although I do like the new blue typeface they created for Sochi.ru 2014). The Beijing and Vancouver one it feels organic and retro, a bit off center enough to reflect the Olympic heritage and the spirit of the games well, about man, for man, adapting a humanist approach.

Summary:

Does it all matter? Not really. I bet the games will turn out spectacular with the typical Asian efficiency, on budget, on time, full of convenience and hospitality second to none. By all thing considered, the dynamism of the country will be shown through the tech and efficient operation of the games far more than its logo. Seeing the emblem everywhere will eventually establish the feel good factor and make it memorable by default of brand experiential journey. Tons of merchandise will be sold without a problem as individual components of this emblem branding can pose a lot of imaginative possibilities and challenges. People will have greater appreciation of simplicity and the beauty of 'less is more', or will have convinced themselves through good experience seeing this everywhere. It actually stand out from past Olympic logos in how 'digital' it feels, which bring it current to the social media age.