Wagner says support from Nagasu "Has Meant Everything" | Golden Skate

Wagner says support from Nagasu "Has Meant Everything"

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
I think that Ashley deserved her spot on the team too, but Mirai couldn't very well have said, "$#@% you, that spot should have been mine, beyotch!"

...Well, I guess she *could* have said that, but Mirai strikes me as being way too gracious for that.

I like that Mirai gave Ashley her support; Mirai knows that if there's a bad guy in this whole mess, it's not Ashley. Ashley didn't bump Mirai herself.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think that Ashley deserved her spot on the team too, but Mirai couldn't very well have said, "$#@% you, that spot should have been mine, beyotch!"

...Well, I guess she *could* have said that, but Mirai strikes me as being way too gracious for that.

I like that Mirai gave Ashley her support; Mirai knows that if there's a bad guy in this whole mess, it's not Ashley. Ashley didn't bump Mirai herself.

True, although, Mirai if she felt resented could have also said nothing. If anything, she's graciously offered her support so that Ashley has confidence and at least doesn't have Mirai's woes on her mind.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I've gained quite a bit of respect of Mirai based on how she handled herself in the wake of nationals. She's a class act.

Memelah711

Rinkside

Exactly! This is a testament to Mirai's personality, she could have easily been quite nasty about it; I'm sure lots of people in her position would have been.

I believe Ashley deserved the spot on the team. Hopefully, Mirai's ubers will take a cue from Mirai herself and ease up on Ashley.

desertskates

Medalist
Exactly! This is a testament to Mirai's personality, she could have easily been quite nasty about it; I'm sure lots of people in her position would have been.

I believe Ashley deserved the spot on the team. Hopefully, Mirai's ubers will take a cue from Mirai herself and ease up on Ashley.

:agree: I think the gestures from Mirai were wonderful. And behind closed doors, I don't ever think this was a Mirai/Ashley thing but more of a Mirai/Polina thing. Hope all the girls skate well and have fun!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
:agree: I think the gestures from Mirai were wonderful. And behind closed doors, I don't ever think this was a Mirai/Ashley thing but more of a Mirai/Polina thing. Hope all the girls skate well and have fun!

Yeah I have said this since the very beginning, the difference is in the PCS Edumund received as a newbie with zero senior international experience or even serious international results to justify these PCS, had they both performed with an unbiased international ISU judging panel, the ranking could have easily swapped.

It is never about Ashley, although it must be said, Mirai is extremely unlucky that the rules changed this year and it worked against her.

samson

Medalist
Both ladies are great skaters and Near, I absolutely agree, Mirai has proven to be a class act throughout all of this.

It sounds like Ashley had a very strong first practice with the new free. Oh Olympics! This is so exciting. These skaters are about as ready as they're ever going to be at this point!

I wish Ashley all the best at the Olympics and hope that we get to see more of both ladies over the years.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Yeah I have said this since the very beginning, the difference is in the PCS Edumund received as a newbie with zero senior international experience or even serious international results to justify these PCS, had they both performed with an unbiased international ISU judging panel, the ranking could have easily swapped.

It is never about Ashley, although it must be said, Mirai is extremely unlucky that the rules changed this year and it worked against her.

I disagree. It is not about Polina as she is the Silver Medalist. It was between Mirai and Ashley. When there are issues like this, the Bronze medalist is the one that gets left behind. Mirai is doing the best thing for herself under the circumstance. She is being gracious and accepting which will go along way if she wants to continue competing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nagasu is clearly putting on a brave face/playing the diplomat here even though she must be frustrated/fuming in private. She still manages to make clear her disappointment in not being selected...trying to strike the balance. I guess given that she is continuing on, and the politics of skating, it's in her best interest (The Philippines situation with their skaters earlier in the season comes to mind).

As for Wagner, more so than any other competition she's done, how she does here will define her career, reputation and legacy (if she is to have one). She's already talking up her game (reminiscent of 2012 Nats), and while I love that confidence oozing out of her, at some point ya still have to go out there and skate on ice...which is slippery. Her track record at big competitions has been spotty. And if the brouhaha after Nationals wasn't bad enough, if she fails in Sochi, with the world watching...

mskater93

Record Breaker
But it's not an Ashley/Mirai thing - Mirai had to know deep down with Ashley in the top 5 at Nationals that unless Ashley broke both legs during her skates and was clearly out of commision through the Olympics, she was getting a spot due to how strong she's been internationally for the last 2 seasons and that if she (Mirai) didn't win Nationals, it would come down to the next two placements for the third spot and that she would likely need to be second to make the team. I agree, it's a Polina/Mirai thing...

cornell08

Final Flight
Wagner's media savvy. She knows what she has to do/say to try to win the public back. Just sayin'.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
All these ladies and skatersknowhow to work the PR - sorry to say. There is what you say and here is what you really think. Rarely do you havea Joubert or Chan who really say how they feel.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I disagree. It is not about Polina as she is the Silver Medalist. It was between Mirai and Ashley. When there are issues like this, the Bronze medalist is the one that gets left behind. Mirai is doing the best thing for herself under the circumstance. She is being gracious and accepting which will go along way if she wants to continue competing.

If Polina is a more convincing Silver medalist I'd have agreed with you. The point is the difference between them in score > ranking can easy be justified by the PCS difference, and actually Mirai skated earlier than Polina, can also make a difference if the judging want to make the result widen substantially enough to place Polina above Mirai.

There is no reason to doubt anyone's sincerity. Mirai is disappointed that she was not selected for the Olympic team, but she wishes good luck for Ashley and team USA. Ashley is grateful for Mirai's support. Nothing controversial here.

louisa05

Final Flight
There is no reason to doubt anyone's sincerity. Mirai is disappointed that she was not selected for the Olympic team, but she wishes good luck for Ashley and team USA. Ashley is grateful for Mirai's support. Nothing controversial here.

:)

What Mathman said.