Schooling Question | Golden Skate

Schooling Question

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Hi! I'm currently a Freshman in High School and I want to take the afternoons off (When I usually would have study halls) to go skate in my Sophomore year. Homeschooling really isn't an option for my family because we tried it and it was too expensive (unless anyone has any less-expensive ideas?).

Unfortunately my school is very opposed of that idea, even though I wouldn't even be missing a class. I've contacted the School Programs Director of U.S. Figure Skating and they sent me a letter of support, but I'm afraid that won't be enough to convince my school principal. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm very desperate and I appreciate anyone who wants to help. Thanks!

cborsky

Rinkside
That's a tough situation. I was lucky enough to not have to do gym class after grade 9. In grade 12, I only went to 2 classes a day and skated every afternoon. All I did was talk to my principal. I wrote him a letter outlining my training schedule and how many hours a week I dedicated to skating. (Time dedicated includes all off-ice activities too: getting ready, tying skates, warming up, driving to the rink. All of a sudden a 1 hour practice turns into 2 hours of time when you count everything in.) I also got a letter from my coach saying why I needed to do this. It wasn't a big deal for me at my school.

If your parents support you on this, schedule a meeting between your principal and your parents & coach. Sometimes the extra pressure from adults (parents and coach) will help change your principal's mind. Emphasize that your grades won't drop because you're missing your study block. Figure skaters are dedicated and hardworking - we know how to manage our time and get our school work done.

Also find out if it is an actual strict policy that the school has, or just something that your principal doesn't like. If there is no policy or rule against it, then you should be allowed to do it. If there is a policy against missing a study hall for sports try checking other schools in your community, they may have different regulations. I know another highschool near mine that has a sports program for young athletes and has different acedemic regulations than most other schools in the area. Many skaters switched schools just so they could get the benefits from the sports program. It didn't cost anything except a slightly longer commute, some took public transit.

Good luck with this battle and don't give up if your principal turns you down... keep at it.

~Cassie

ouridol

On the Ice
If you're not already, I am sure most schools will let you miss at least 1 hr because of P.E.--for my school, you have to be participating in it for at least 15 hours a week at an Olympic sport, at an approved facility. They figure you should already get enough excersize from that, so they let you miss the first or last period of school. It's not much, but it's a start. Most schools'll let you do this, ask your principal. Good luck! :)

jesslily

Final Flight
Always making above average grades, always going to school on time in the morning, seldom calling in sick will help you get your school's understanding. My daughter did everything above, and her school let her skip gym, study hall, and any other minor classes in the afternoon if needed to go to skating.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Thanks!

Thanks a TON you guys! I really appreciate the help and we're planning to visit our principal either this week or after Spring Break. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Hey everybody!

Long time no post! lol! It took a while to set up the appointment with my prinicipal, but we're meeting together on May 7! I'll let you know! Thanks for your support and encouragement everyone!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I didnt have to participate in gym, or electives from 5-9th grade because I was performing with a ballet rep. company, but it was really hard to get through the red tape and make those provisions for me...

I found that it helped to have the company director touch base with the school administrators (see if you coach is willing to set up a phone conference). I would also make sure that you go and speak to each of your teachers individually to make sure they were on board with your plans and would be an advocate for you. If you dont have good relationships with your teachers, odds are your principal will not be excited about you missing a study hall opportunity.

Good Luck!!!

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Update

Hey everyone! Here's another update (if you're keeping track! lol!)I was originally supposed to meet with my principal on Friday, but he had a meeting so we had to reschedule for Monday (5/10). We checked into the school having a policy about my "situation" and it turns out that they do NOT have a policy saying that I can't leave early! So things are looking good! I'll let you know how the meeting goes ASAP!

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Update (5/10)

Hey everyone! I just talked with my principal today, and things are looking pretty good! He agreed to consider to let me out of school early to practice in the afternoons, but he still has to talk with other school officials to get the OK. However, he did not agree to have my skating count for a P.E. credit. He said he would get back to me with the final decision by the end of the month. Thanks for all of your help you guys! You really helped me out a lot! :D

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Thanks for the update!

If your principal says no, go over his head. Have your parents get in touch with the county superintendent of schools, that'll put some pressure on your principal!
Best of luck!
Rave

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Update!!

Hey everyone! The school administration actually AGREED to letting me skate afternoons!! I'm so happy, I couldn't of done it without your guys's help! Thank you SOOO much!!