Thank You CBC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thank You CBC

Lucy25

Final Flight
The only thing that bugs me about this CBC coverage is that it takes too long to get the scores. The replays show practically the whole program. It is a bit tedious. Mind you, I will take this over the US coverage any day!

Paul and Barb are great! They are so honest with their comments. I loved when the other guy (name?) told Eman that Paul and Barb called his SP a disaster. That was a bit too honest, but Eman just smiled and agreed with him. I can't see Peter Carruthers doing that!

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Lucy..

on the live audio coverage of the Men's SP, the commentators were able to "replay" (verbally) all or most of every man's performance before the scores were announced. I'm not sure how the CBC coverage was organized (and I'm mighty jealous of those who have it!!!!!!). But on the short, it seems like the time it took the judges to submit scores left enough time to nearly replay every skater almost to the end of program.

Of course that can all be edited for TV replay, but I found it interesting since it's consistent with the few historic live broadcasts I've seen, and certainly the live audio coverage today.

What a week! I feel like I'm on a different planet. "re-entry" on Sunday will be tough.

DG

Antilles

Medalist
I'm enjoying the coverage, but they don't seem to have the OD on the schedule. I'll be really peeved if the OD gets chacked.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Lucy25:

I am not sure who is covering the men's with Barb and Paul. Last night, it was Brian - covering the pairs.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Antilles:

The coverage is fantastic. I would imagine they will show the OD. There is more coverage on the weekend.

Canuck

Spectator
Good but too many close-ups

I too have been enjoying CBC's skating coverage. It's great to see so many skaters that CTV would never have shown. Barb and Paul give excellent commentary.

My only complaint is that the camera work needs improving.
There are numerous close-ups at the wrong time. I was particularly frustrated during the footwork sequences in the men's SP when the camera would zoom in on the skater's upper body. Arrgh!!

GoldenLady

On the Ice
Welcome to Golden Skate, Canuck! Or maybe I should say "welcome to posting", since I see that you actually registered a couple of months ago. :)

I have to say that ITA with you about the camera work. I don't know if it's CBC's camera people who are doing it, or if it's a feed they get from Worlds, but I find it almost dizzying at times, the way they suddenly cut to a close-up on a skater's feet, or worse, show a skater's face and upper body during a footwork sequence. :\ I didn't notice it at all on Monday night, but found it really distracting last night during the Men's SP.

Antilles

Medalist
The camera work is bad, but I don't think it's CBC. I've seen their camera work before, and it's not that bad.

Brian Williams just said they would have "higlights" of the OD. I don't have high hopes for seeing much. Their QR highlights lasted five minutes. IIRC, the OD got chacked in their 4cc coverage, too.

cborsky

Rinkside
I just had to comment about the camera work on CBC. It really is frustrating when they zoom in on the skaters' feet during their spins. A scratch spin looks identical to a camel or layback if you only look at the skate that's on the ice. :confused:

I did catch the end of the ABC Sports broadcast, however, and their camera work was excellent! So if ABC had their own camera work, seems CBC should have control of their own as well?

Listening to Dick Button isn't as bad as not being able to see a spin. So for the women, especially Michelle and Sasha, I hope to catch the ABC broadcast so I don't miss any of their fabulous spins.