Women's Cross Country | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Women's Cross Country

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was gutted for Finland. I really wanted them to win, as it had been so long since they last won. But at the same time, I was delighted that Sweden finally got another podium. I just would have preferred it if it had finished the other way around.

Why, do you have relatives in Finland? Or do you just like their looks :laugh: When did Finnish women win the relay at the olympics? Sweden won 1960 in Squaw Valley California. Actually on 2 000 m above sea level :confused:

Oh, no! I'm Irish through and through! ;) (Well, OK, so I have an English Granny. But, she has lived 3/4 of her life in Ireland, so she may as well be Irish. Even though she still has an English accent... :slink: )

Nah, it was just that I'm really into history, and thought it would make a good story! :biggrin:

It was in 1956 that Finland won the Women's Relay. Incidentally, 1956 was the first running of the Women's Relay, which was 3x5km back in those days.

To win the first Women's Relay was a massive achievement. But to not win again in the next 58 years must have been a massive disappointment.

So, this would have been a golden opportunity (pardon the pun), as I can't see Norway struggling that badly again!

But, it was still a great result for Finland. And a great result for Sweden, who were coming off a 46 year run without being on the podium.

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Glad to see Bjoergen the cheater with only one medal so far these Games. Hope it stays that way.

Explainations please ???

It was in 1956 that Finland won the Women's Relay. Incidentally, 1956 was the first running of the Women's Relay, which was 3x5km back in those days.

To win the first Women's Relay was a massive achievement. But to not win again in the next 58 years must have been a massive disappointment.

So, this would have been a golden opportunity (pardon the pun), as I can't see Norway struggling that badly again!

But, it was still a great result for Finland. And a great result for Sweden, who were coming off a 46 year run without being on the podium.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for the info, but I don't think it was a disappointment for the Finnish women not to win gold. Norway was the BIG favorite. The other nations competed for silver and bronze many/I thought :biggrin:

LOL Sweden's relay gold is on radio and TV on and on today. Now we hope for the men to do the same.

CaroLiza_fan… I thought you didn't enjoy cross country skiing :laugh:

Question: How do you include both yours and mine quotes in a post?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Glad to see Bjoergen the cheater with only one medal so far these Games. Hope it stays that way.

Explainations please ???

pangtongfan reckons Bjoergen is a man in a wig.... :slink:

Thanks for the info, but I don't think it was a disappointment for the Finnish women not to win gold. Norway was the BIG favorite. The other nations competed for silver and bronze many/I thought :biggrin:

Well, having seen the way they were on the podium, there wasn't even an ounce of disappointment! They were absolutely delighted to get 2nd! And I don't blame them! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan… I thought you didn't enjoy cross country skiing :laugh:

Generally speaking, I don't. But, it's the Olympics! And there was nothing else on TV all day until the Ski Jumping came on...!

But, the excitement of that race might have converted me...

Question: How do you include both yours and mine quotes in a post?

In a very round-about way! ;)

I opened up the page again in a new window. Then clicked "Reply with quote" on my post. I then copied what was in the box, and pasted it into my reply to your post!

CaroLiza_fan

Tough 10 km in sunny warm weather. Some skiing with sleeveless tops :laugh:

Wow, Kowalzyk number one with a broken foot :confused:

2 Kalla(SWE)
3 Johaug(NOR)

The reaction here has been crazy, especially given the circumstances. She's front page news.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The reaction here has been crazy, especially given the circumstances. She's front page news.

Good for her :clap: Lots of athletes fightig injuries and/or other troubles...

A bit surprised that Kowalzcyk did the realy today though :thumbsup: Wonder if she does the team sprint classic... probably not the 30 km free style?

SimplyLex

On the Ice
She says she still has 2 events to go - the team sprint and the 30km. She really doesn't want to let the other girls down, hence her appearance in both team runs.

Manitou

Medalist
Happy for the Swedes winning and for Norway losing. Norwegian skiers even have the whole national industry and national resources for their service. Not even mentioning FIS completely dominated by Norway.
Just like the Dutch in speed skating or the Koreans in short track skating. This is the reason I always go against Norway in skiing, against Dutch in speed skating and against Korean/Chinese in speed skating.
I used to go against Russians in figure skating years ago, but I guess the tables turned around and now I cheer for them.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder that the Team Sprints for both the Men and the Women are being held today

It starts with the first of the Women's Semi-Finals in about 25 minutes.

Unfortunately, the BBC is NOT starting their TV coverage on BBCi1 until 11:30 GMT, and it will just be showing the Finals. So, if you want to watch the Semi-finals, you're going to have to use the website.

Here is the livestreaming link:

Official BBC Livestreaming Channel

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for the previous competitions.

BBCi1 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 301 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 991 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 977 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 45 (10.773H. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
NOTE: The channel you want for the Alpine Skiing is labelled “BBC RB 1”​

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
A Norwegian stream.

Finland and Poland qualified in semifinal B
2 best in A will qualify + 6 best results overall = 10 for finals

Can I wish for Sweden, US and Norway as medalists? Or Finland :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh, well done BBC! :sarcasm:

There I was happily watching the Women's Semi-Finals on the livestream.

Then they put up an ident advertising the Women's Curling Semi-Final between Great Britain and Canada JUST AS THE TOP TWO IN THE SECOND SEMI WERE ENTERING THE FINISH STRAIGHT!!!! :eek:

WE DIDN'T SEE THE END OF THE RACE!!!! :mad:

After a while, it changed to an ident advertising the Team Sprint Finals.

THE PICTURE NEVER CAME BACK UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF THE FIRST MEN'S SEMI!!!! :mad:

That said, we still got the commentary the whole time there was no picture. But that's not much use when you can't see what's going on!

And I thought the way they were cutting away from the skating on the Interactive Channels was bad!

VERY POOR, BBC. VERY POOR.

It makes you wonder why we pay our license fee when they are going to do things like this...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to let you know that the Finals will be starting in about 20 minuites on a different stream to what the Semis were on this morning. So, here is the new link:

As I said above, the Finals will also be shown on BBCi1:

BBCi1 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 301 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 991 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 977 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 45 (10.773H. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
NOTE: The channel you want for the Alpine Skiing is labelled “BBC RB 1”​

Hope this helps

Let's hope that they don't make a hash of the Finals like they did with the Semis...

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Calm down CL_fan. :) The second semifinal wasn't that exciting. Didn't matter who was first or second as long as best two reach the final.

The Norwegian commentators satisfied with Norway's skis this time. (LOL, Norwegian team blamed the bad results in the relays on bad skis.)

Finland, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Russia, US, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Switzerland in the final.

Might be a very exciting competition. GO Kikkan and Sophie + Sylvia and inhuman Kowalzyk competing again(or is her foot miraculously healed LOL) Maybe time for a Finnish gold. Or another Swedish, thankyou :) Probably Norway.... but who knows...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Over the past 2 weeks, I have watched more Cross Country skiing than I have ever watched before. And, as a result, I can now put my finger on what I like and what I don't like about it.

I don't mind the Free Skating races.
But I don't like the Classic races.

Any time I had dipped into Cross Country before, it always seemed to be Classic races that were on. I don't like the way that for most of the course, they are just skiing in slots that have been made for them by the organisers. I prefer seeing them ski naturally, using their own lines.

Also, it is when they are using the pre-prepared slots that they look so ungainly. It looks so much more graceful when they are skiing, well, freely.

So, now that I know that today's 30km race is a Free Skating race, I think I will watch it after all.

It all kicks off in about 10 minutes online and on BBCi2.

Here is the livestreaming link:

This is NOT the same livestream page that was used for the previous competitions.

BBCi2 is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 302 on Freeview
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 992 on Virgin Media
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 978 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 76 (12.551V. MBaud 22,000. FEC 5/6).
NOTE: The channel you want for the skiing is labelled “BBC RB 2

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You know, I have a suspicion that a Norwegian might win this... ;) :laugh:

Context to post - we are currently on the last lap and have three Norwegians all together fighting for the win, with nobody behind them for miles!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Guess what - an all-Norwegian podium!

Marit Bjoergen won by 2.6s from Therese Johaug. Kristin Steira fell back in the closing stages to finish 21s behind Johaug.

But, that is hardly surprising as, much earlier in the race, Steira attempted to get a drink from one of the coaches, but the coach didn't move from his spot and he ended up dropping it. And boys did she give him some dirty looks for her not getting her drink!

Best of the rest was Kerttu Niskanen, who was nearly a minute (58s, to be precise) behind Steira!

Charlotte Kalle had been with the leaders in the early stages, but lost over a minute at about 1/3 distance, and continued to lose time after that, eventually finishing in 34th, 5m 13.3s behind the winner.

Justyna Kowalczyk pulled out just short of half-distance. Her poor foot just couldn't take any more punishment.

Nearly 23 minutes after Bjoergen crossed the line, and 10 minutes after the previous finisher, Aimee Watson of Australia completes the last of the Women's Cross Country events.

So, a dominant performance for the Norwegians in the 30km race.

This will surely do a great deal for them in the medals table! It will definitely put them into third ahead of Canada for now, but we will have to wait and see what happens in the Men's ice hockey and the Men's Cross Country tomorrow.

This result has made it VERY tight going into the final events!

1. USA on 27 medals (9 Gold; 7 Silver; 11 Bronze)
2. Russia on 26 medals (9 Gold; 10 Silver; 7 Bronze)
3. Norway on 25 medals (11 Gold; 5 Silver; 9 Bronze)
4. Canada on 24 medals (9 Gold; 10 Silver; 5 Bronze)
5. Netherlands on 22 medals (6 Gold; 7 Silver; 9 Bronze)

CaroLiza_fan