Is USA out of team event already? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Is USA out of team event already?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sorry, Chan haterz, but Patrick was at the Opening Ceremony. CBC showed him sitting in the stands with speed skater Christine Nesbitt.

When I saw Kevin Reynolds at the Opening Ceremony, I figured, that nails it, Patrick is skating the free program after all. But after CBC showed Patrick, I realized the mystery of who skates the free program remains unsolved.

I was just about to say this. Chan was at the Opening Ceremony (also thought I saw Christy Krall too... who is she coaching here?) and they cut to him a few times.

I hope the Canadian fed isn't stupid about this. Chan has 3 days to recover if he skates in the FS, and Reynolds would surely jeopardize their gold prospects. If anything, Russia may have thrown them a lifeline if S/K (who D/R can certainly beat more than V/T) and I/K (who P/B could beat if France makes the final) are going to be doing the FS and FD.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
besides, i think it's in chan's best interests to skate anyway considering the performance he gave yesterday. it'll do him a lot of good to get his program out in front of the judges and get his nerves out before the individual. plus a shaky second-rate skate from chiddy will still outscore kevin's dream skate by about twenty points so...

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I was just about to say this. Chan was at the Opening Ceremony (also thought I saw Christy Krall too... who is she coaching here?) and they cut to him a few times.

I hope the Canadian fed isn't stupid about this. Chan has 3 days to recover if he skates in the FS, and Reynolds would surely jeopardize their gold prospects. If anything, Russia may have thrown them a lifeline if S/K (who D/R can certainly beat more than V/T) and I/K (who P/B could beat if France makes the final) are going to be doing the FS and FD.

Krall is Liam Firus's coach. He is one of the three Canadian competing at the Olympics.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

D/R aren't skating the FS
Chan can skate the FS all he wants as long as he doesnt even come close to a medal by individuals
a disease in the sport needs to placed far at the bottom

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
D/R aren't skating the FS
Chan can skate the FS all he wants as long as he doesnt even come close to a medal by individuals
a disease in the sport needs to placed far at the bottom

I meant MT/M.

And wow... a "disease in the sport". :rolleye: :disapp:

If that's how you feel diseases should be treated, I'm surprised all your posts haven't been buried far at the bottom of this Forum. :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry, Chan haterz, but Patrick was at the Opening Ceremony. CBC showed him sitting in the stands with speed skater Christine Nesbitt.

When I saw Kevin Reynolds at the Opening Ceremony, I figured, that nails it, Patrick is skating the free program after all. But after CBC showed Patrick, I realized the mystery of who skates the free program remains unsolved.

Apologies for raising a red herring. It was an honest misunderstanding.

I am not a Chan hater. Quite the contrary. I am really glad for his sake that he participated in -- and presumably enjoyed -- the Opening Ceremony. :yay:
Wish that Patrick had been around when the other Team Canada skaters took their very nice "class photo" in their Opening Ceremony outfits. Missed seeing his sweet face. (Not/not/not suggesting that his absence from the photo reflects poorly on him or on anyone else.)

ETA:
I have gone back to edit my two posts above -- have added a notation to each that Chan WAS at the Opening Ceremony.​

jcsamex

Rinkside
I don't know if it truly will. The fact is that the money and talent has to be there for that to happen. One would think that with this in sight, the U.S. would have invested more in pairs--the weakest of the four disciplines for them throughout recent history--but they haven't. And I don't see that this event existing is going to change that. The musical partners routine will continue to go round and round with no encouragement or incentive from the federation to change it and the discipline will remain our weakest link, team event or no team event.

It all depends on how much prestige the OGM gets for the team event. As has been stated here on several occassions now, the team competition this time is seen as something cheessy rather than an important event but I do believe in the future we'll see it as (if not even more) important than the four individual competitions. It's all about which country has the strongest asset of skaters (ergo, strongest federation) in the world.

I've seen a lot of drama in gymnastics where both men and women generally perform their best to get that second medal that actually engrosses their individual résumé.

Welcome to the forum, jcsamex. I have great hopes for the team event, too, going forward.

Thank you so much. I look forward to the evolution of this event, too.

kresslia

Medalist
I did see an interview with Patrick on CBC where he mentioned having three hurdles to overcome, and he said he overcame one of them with the Team SP. Obviously the other two are the individual SP and LP. Hopefully they convince him to do the LP, or else we are screwed out of a chance at gold.

It is complete madness having Reynolds do the LP. Madness. I'd be shocked if he didn't come last.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Apologies for raising a red herring. It was an honest misunderstanding.

I am not a Chan hater. Quite the contrary. I am really glad for his sake that he participated in -- and presumably enjoyed -- the Opening Ceremony. :yay:
My apologies, golden411. I'm glad Patrick got to go to the Opening Ceremony too. The CBC was interviewing moguls skier Jennifer Heil Friday morning, and she mentioned that, because her event always came early in the games, she never in three trips to the Olympics got to attend an Opening Ceremony. I felt a little sad for her.

As to the topic at hand, if the Team Event is anything but Gold - Russia, Silver - Canada, Bronze - USA, I will be shocked.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
U.S pretty much has the bronze locked up now. Even if in mens they are 4th to Japan's 1st, and in womens 4th to Japan's 1st (somewhat unlikely in the latter IMO) they would still secure the bronze with a at worst 2nd in the dance (unlikely to not be 1st) vs Japan's certain 5th place.

Zamboni

On the Ice
We have to keep in mind that the Olympics is not the World Championship. The World Championship is where, in all sobriety, we try to determine who are the best skaters in the world. The Olympics, in contrast, is where we get to wave flags, shout USA USA or Ausie Ausie Ausie. It is a made-for-TV spectacle. For viewers in the United States anyway, the ladies' team gymnastic competition is the best of the best -- Ha ha, take that you villainous Romanians!

The Fierce Five Rule!

Of course, the Olympics weren't invented for television, but the the team skating competition and other events have been added recently to get more interest in the Olympic Games. All the cool snowboarding events (and other X Games events) were added so that younger people would be more interested in the Olympics (including competing in these sports, not just watching them).

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I found the team competition a little bit useless. We are all (skaters and fans) waiting for the individual events and I don't think anyone considered the team event important (maybe the Russians). It's not a criteria, just a remark: it also started before the opening ceremony. I enjoyed watching some great programs, but I could live without the team event and all the substantiated comments about Russians being overscored.

edit: btw, "villainous Romanians" accept that our gymnastics team is not competitive anymore :laugh:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I found the team competition a little bit useless. We are all (skaters and fans) waiting for the individual events and I don't think anyone considered the team event important (maybe the Russians). It's not a criteria, just a remark: it also started before the opening ceremony. I enjoyed watching some great programs, but I could live without the team event and all the substantiated comments about Russians being overscored.

Its a chance at an Olympic medal. I doubt the skaters "don't care." The look on Gracie Gold's face while Abbot was bombing said it all, an Wagner looked like she absolutely cared getting ready to do her short.

Sure they probably prioritize the individual. But its still an Olympic medal, and I'm sure for those who have little to no shot at an Olympic medal in the team event, it certainly matters.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada

edit: btw, "villainous Romanians" accept that our gymnastics team is not competitive anymore :laugh:

I assure you everyone on the Canadian and American teams will be thrilled to get an Olympic medal. I assure you that the Russian, Canadian and American media will be thrilled about those teams winning a medal. There are also some teams out of contention (especially the German and British teams) that seemed to be having a ball.

I think the format is flawed, but I also think that Sochi proves that conceptually a team event in figure skating works. The team kiss and cry shots are pure gold.