Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media

Which is why skaters with Ketu mentality need to be given the "Caroline Zhang Tariff". Get them out of the talent pool early.. Skaters like Nicole Bobek, Alyssa Czisny, Jeremy Abbott, Agnes Zawadzki.. nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand. Stop sending them to important competitions. The only skater that should ever be allowed to get away with it is Sasha Cohen.

How about skaters are marked for what they actually execute on the ice? :rolleye:

Brown had better scores than Abbott this season and had USFS used sensible selection criteria, there would be no reason to select Abbott for the team event. I don't understand why you are attacking the skaters when it's the system that is at fault here.

And mental skills can be improved just like physical skills can if you work on it. So nobody should get removed out of the talent pool just because they aren't consistent at any current given point in time. Just take it on a season by season basis. It's always possible to turn things around.

I also don't understand why you are bringing Caroline Zhang into this. Zhang's skating has been absolutely appalling this season so it's not like she was given some kind of special tariff at Nationals. She didn't skate well so she didn't score well. It's not like there was some nefarious plan at play in order to keep her placement down.

Yes, but the same people that are mad about Abbott being picked probably would have been mad about Abbott not being picked. Its easy to look back and say "well, you should have done that". But the outrage over Abbott being picked happened *after* he bombed at the Olympics. There was no voice calling for him being left off the team after nationals.

It's not about Abbott or any other particular skater. It's about having selection criteria which are clear, transparent and sensible, rewarding consistency over skating well at one event.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Ashley Wagners skate will be the most anticipated event at the Olympics.. not only because of Mirai but now Jeremy.

bixby

Final Flight
he, like patrick chan, are very unlikeable skaters.

jeremy had a terrible grand prix season and blamed everything and everyone but himself (caught on camera as he came off the ice at one of his grand prixs- yuka looked like she wanted to tell him 'be quiet' youre on national television). he's very talented but full on himself. the way he reacted after he finished his sp and lp at nationals this year was so over the top - dramatic, fake and phony. he interview with the nbc reporter after the long was worse as well. he's phony and everyone but him knows it.

so unlikeable.

Exactly my thoughts on both of these guys. It's one thing to be confident, it's another thing to be full, so so freaking full of yourself!

centerpt1

On the Ice
Abbott won nationals with the 4-3 in the short. He earned/deserved his shot. He had very good practices in Sochi through this morning, landing his quad combo and 3A, then had a shaky warm up and disaster skate.

He has apologized to the team members.

He's a great skater and a not-so-great competitor.

Do you really think he's put in 4 years of pain planning to bomb?

Geeez. He has apologized.

He's likely ruined his professional show career with this..so he will suffer financially. Plus he has to live with knowing he let his team members down, so he'll suffer emotionally. And it sounds like that is what you all want. Or would suicide be preferable?

It's all hindsight bias at work here. People love to engage in it. Anyway, a new narrative will come along in figure skating, maybe even one of redemption for Abbott, and this will all be water under the bridge to an extent.

If only it were hindsight. Jeremy's clearly a very nice man and he's a wonderful artistic skater, but I never feel comfortable when he takes to the ice in an international competition. Never.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Abbott won nationals with the 4-3 in the short. He earned/deserved his shot. He had very good practices in Sochi through this morning, landing his quad combo and 3A, then had a shaky warm up and disaster skate.

He's likely ruined his professional show career with this..so he will suffer financially. Plus he has to live with knowing he let his team members down, so he'll suffer emotionally. And it sounds like that is what you all want. Or would suicide be preferable?

He should forfeit his singles and give it to the alternate

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He sunk the US chances of an Olympic medal.

That hasn't been determined yet. Just about anyone is capable of an implosion at the Olympics and there is a lot more skating to go. Abbott (and let's not forget Castelli/Snapir) has made it very difficult for the US to medal as a team and they will now need some help to do so, but it could still happen.

He ain't coming back from this one.

He won't have to as this is his last season. Thank goodness!

Icey

Record Breaker
Got rid of his demons. Jeez, if he wasn't rid of them by now, one short program disaster ain't going to do it. Abbott seems stuck in adolescence self-awareness. This puts more pressure on Ashely, something she doesn't need right now. Hope she is able to rise to the occasion.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
How about skaters are marked for what they actually execute on the ice? :rolleye:

Brown had better scores than Abbott this season and had USFS used sensible selection criteria, there would be no reason to select Abbott for the team event. I don't understand why you are attacking the skaters when it's the system that is at fault here.

And mental skills can be improved just like physical skills can if you work on it. So nobody should get removed out of the talent pool just because they aren't consistent at any current given point in time. Just take it on a season by season basis. It's always possible to turn things around.

I also don't understand why you are bringing Caroline Zhang into this. Zhang's skating has been absolutely appalling this season so it's not like she was given some kind of special tariff at Nationals. She didn't skate well so she didn't score well. It's not like there was some nefarious plan at play in order to keep her placement down.

It's not about Abbott or any other particular skater. It's about having selection criteria which are clear, transparent and sensible, rewarding consistency over skating well at one event.

I do not agree, specifically in skating. Its the Caroline Zhang tariff because no matter if she skates good or bad she's getting the same score. a low one.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's likely ruined his professional show career with this..so he will suffer financially. Plus he has to live with knowing he let his team members down, so he'll suffer emotionally.

That was one of my initial thoughts after learning the news of his disappointing skate. The guy is definitely suffering enough from this terrible day. I feel really bad for him and the Team! :(

Or would suicide be preferable?

What would be preferable is USFS getting their act together. It's their mess.

Unless she manages to turn things around (which I hope she does), it doesn't look like Wagner is likely to skate a strong SP either but neither her, nor Abbott have put themselves in this place.

I do not agree, specifically in skating.

Both research and clinical practice show otherwise.

There are loads of cognitive-behavioural studies proving you can alter behaviour and manage (or even eliminate) anxiety. There are few studies regarding figure skating in particular but the same principles would apply.

And it's not like there aren't any examples of skaters who turned things around. Look at how Liebers has been skating this season (his shrink was even with him in the K&C at Euros :D). Or what Blecharz has done for the Siudeks (now that was a big turnaround).

Its the Caroline Zhang tariff because no matter if she skates good or bad she's getting the same score. a low one.

You don't know how Zhang would have been marked, had she skated well at Nationals this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Looks like Jeremy Abbott will become the "villain" of these Olympics for the U.S.

"Villain" is not the right word, is it?

If anything, something more like "disappointment" or "letdown?" And even words like that seem premature to me.

If Abbott skates a respectable SP and/or FS in the individual competition, won't he redeem himself somewhat? Esp. if USA still was able to earn a team medal.

He's likely ruined his professional show career with this..so he will suffer financially. Plus he has to live with knowing he let his team members down, so he'll suffer emotionally.

Agree with everything except ruining his pro career.
Abbott is a four-time national champion, perfectly capable of skating very enjoyable exhibition programs.
I hope/believe that his pro career will be just fine.

louisa05

Final Flight
I really don't think that this is going to ruin Jeremy's entire life financially or otherwise. Nor should it. And I think his teammates probably get that bad days on the ice happen.

In my opinion, with inconsistent singles skaters and a second tier pairs team, the U.S. was never going to contend for better than bronze in this format anyway. There is no need to crucify any member of the team over it.

AngelENTL

On the Ice
If by "U.S. media" you mean Christine Brennan (b/c the Detroit News article didn't tear him to pieces in the slightest), then yes, she sure is tearing him to pieces. And if there was one thing more predictable than a nervy Jeremy Abbott at a big international event, it was snide reporting - kicking a skater when they're down - by Christine Brennan. Maybe it's a bit harsh, but if she can dish it, she needs to be able to take it too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Looks like Jeremy Abbott will become the "villain" of these Olympics for the U.S.

Mmmm, no, I have a feeling Ashley Wagner still holds that title... every article and interview has been very slanted when it comes to how she got here. I kinda wish they'd just come out and say what they feel instead of just suggesting something fishy. So lame.

emma

Record Breaker
Jeremy's skate made me feel really, really sad. I feel for him and the US team. this is a fabulous short program, so sad that he couldn't show that.

But for me, the problem is not or was not selecting him for the SP (especially given the way he rocked it nationals, but also given the practice reports). For me, the bigger problem is having the team event first. In my gut, I just feel the team event would be so much better last; you know, let them all skate on 'fresh legs' and in nervous bodies with an equal amount of preparation and exposure. Then, let the team event be an intense moment of repeating exellance, of redemption, of proving something....for one and all.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
he, like patrick chan, are very unlikeable skaters.

jeremy had a terrible grand prix season and blamed everything and everyone but himself (caught on camera as he came off the ice at one of his grand prixs- yuka looked like she wanted to tell him 'be quiet' youre on national television). he's very talented but full on himself. the way he reacted after he finished his sp and lp at nationals this year was so over the top- dramatic, fake and phony. he interview with the nbc reporter after the long was worse as well. he's phony and everyone but him knows it.

so unlikeable.

Wow, that's bonkers. You don't know these guys, none of us do. We know how they act when pressure is heaped on them and cameras are in their faces. We have no idea what's phony and what's not. And you have no idea how you'd respond in similar circumstances, either. People act strange under pressure sometimes -- they rarely act like themselves.

There are things going in the world really worthy of your fury. This really isn't it.

louisa05

Final Flight
You all know this is day 1 of a two week + event featuring 2871 athletes competing in 98 events in 15 sports, right?

Seems a bit hyperbolic to declare Jeremy the villain of the Olympics. Frankly, this will be a footnote by the time the Closing Ceremony begins.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Since it's the placements that are counted rather than the scores, the LP would be less risky, since there are only five skaters there. No matter how badly he bombs, the worst he can finish is 5th. Since there are more skaters competing the SP, more ground can be lost there with one bad performance.

So yeah, I'd say it was a bad strategy to use him for the SP in particular.

You see, I don't agree. If you favour consistency, then yes - get Brown doing both. But Jeremy won Nationals and as near as I can tell, won it fairly. And giving him the choice to do the short makes sense to me. He has a quad, after all, and a great Jeremy Abbott will score well. The US is still in it with a chance at bronze - tomorrow you'll see them claw back some points from dance and ladies - indeed, if they aren't in fourth-close-to-third or better, I'd be worried.