Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
3. When they did not disqualify Jeremy in the LP at Nationals, because he did, in fact, not take his start position until about a second after the time expired.

And they are sending him to Worlds again. :bang:

Actually, he would not have been disqualified. The music just should have started whether he was ready or not.

They are also forced to name him for Worlds by virtue of the fact that he's National Champion. They have to name him for Worlds. No choice. But that was their logic in naming Max instead of Jason; they figured Jeremy would quit before Worlds, and then Jason goes anyway, you see.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Olympic Games are such an important competition for the American public. Skating doesn't get much coverage in US for four years, and then suddenly it's treated like a real sport. You know... a real sport where there are heroes and villains.

As I said on another thread, I'm not surprised, or even particularly disappointed, concerning Abbott's performance. I knew enough to expect it. Didn't most of you expect it, too?

The broader American public did not expect it. They expected our national champion to skate like one, to be the kind of athlete who could withstand competitive pressure, to deliver a trump card on top of Plushenko's delivery, to fight in the face of adversity, to be a team player. When he didn't... well... "Throw the Bum Out!"

Sadly, this intense media interest in our delicate little sport will fade away in a few weeks, and there will be no harsh real-sport journalistic coverage for 4 years.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doris... concerning World's:

You bet he's going! Here's the narrative... He has ONE LAST chance to redeem himself on the international stage.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I know. That's exactly what I expect he will do. And it is exactly what I expected to happen from the moment he landed his 4t3t in the short at Nationals.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I know. That's exactly what I expect he will do. And it is exactly what I expected to happen from the moment he landed his 4t3t in the short at Nationals.

And Jeremy is the poster child for why performing well at Nationals is NOT an indicator of how well you will do at the Olympics. And as for the super bowl arguments, no team makes the super bowl only because of one game. You have to perform well throughout the season to make the playoffs.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is not even performing well at Nationals. It's performing well in the SP at Nationals. I would have had him even lower than he was in the LP.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Did you notice in the Super bowl thread that a poster referred to Manning as having had the Jeremy puke face the whole game? It's fairer to say that Manning did a Jeremy.

^ Mr. Brians is wrong to say that "maddening" is a "spelling update" of the archaic "madding." The two words have different meanings. "Madding" means the crowd is going crazy. "Maddening" means the crowd drives you crazy.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
USFS had a fine chance to avoid this mess three times:
1. When they chose not to consider the Team event in constructing their criteria for picking the Olympic team.
2. When they allowed the US champions to decide whether they wanted to skate the Team event rather than just picking from more rational criteria. And they could have done a face-saving version where Jeremy could give a press conference saying he chose not to do the team event for whatever nice, acceptable reason.
3. When they did not disqualify Jeremy in the LP at Nationals, because he did, in fact, not take his start position until about a second after the time expired.

And they are sending him to Worlds again. :bang:

It's hard for them to do things differently. He's national champion, we don't have any stand-out male skaters, and there is always a chance that he will put it together. The USFSA couldn't not offer him Worlds but sent Jason when Jeremy is the national champ. However, I'd like to see Max and Jason at Worlds and maybe Jeremy will want to call it a career after Sochi.

qwertyskates

Medalist
This is why 75% International + 25% National makes more sense in ensuring a consistent skater gets to represent country at an International event.

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
He should forfeit his singles and give it to the alternate

Oh no!! Didn't you hear??!!? He said this was "a positive step". This was just the warm up show for Jeremy. He's saving his big stuff til his "important" event, because we all know that he has a better chance to medal in men's singles than he does the Team Event. /sarcasm dripping

Look, I agree the criticism is harsh. But every article that's ripping him is also including his INCREDIBLY self-delusional statement of "it was a positive step". You know, like painting the ice with your butt is somehow positive. If he hadn't of said what he said after, it wouldn't be QUITE as bad. I mean, heck, I even resgistered instead of continued lurking, because I was so ticked at his statement afterward.

On a semi-related note, I think they really screwed up the placement of this event. It should be AFTER all the singles have been completed. It would be GREAT. It would be a chance for REDEMPTION for some, and a chance for the audience to root for people who previously failed. What's happening now is many "A" skaters (V/T, Chan, etc) are not doing the LP because they don't want to be worn out for their singles.

Put it at the end, knock out the Gala, and/or maybe overlap two events to save time. there's always a "dead" day inbetween SP and LP. Do something like Saturday: Pairs Short, Sunday Men's Short, Monday Pair's LP, Tuesday Men's LP. That would get everything done in 4 days rather than 6 days. Everything else you could keep as is. Move the Team Event to the end, and everyone would skate.

desertskates

Medalist
Mmmm, no, I have a feeling Ashley Wagner still holds that title... every article and interview has been very slanted when it comes to how she got here. I kinda wish they'd just come out and say what they feel instead of just suggesting something fishy. So lame.

I just hope with every ounce of my skating fandom that the completely non-villainous Ashley will remain off her derriere Saturday. According to some twitter posts, she had a strong practice today, so we can hope!

LRK

Record Breaker
^ Mr. Brians is wrong to say that "maddening" is a "spelling update" of the archaic "madding." The two words have different meanings. "Madding" means the crowd is going crazy. "Maddening" means the crowd drives you crazy.

"Far from the madding crowd" is also a quote - from Thomas Gray's poem, I think? (I don't read poetry, really - I know it best as the title of a Thomas Hardy novel. :) )

bekalc

Record Breaker
This is why 75% International + 25% National makes more sense in ensuring a consistent skater gets to represent country at an International event.

The problem is not everyone has equal opportunity to compete international competitions. You have to earn points to get onto the Senior GP. Polina Edmonds due to USFSA's screw up didn't get an international event (except for a B event after nationals last year) until this year. So she only did juniors. She performed consistently there and put out the highest TES element of all the US ladies in the free, with one less element.

Is it fair to punish her for not having international events? I don't think it is. I think we do need to make it possible for newer skaters to get out there. Max Aaron did well last year too no international events for them.

I am though less willing to see skaters like Abbott (and I will give her to a lesser extent Nagasu) multiple opportunities when they are very inconsistent, have had their chances and not delivered.

The above is why I find the Nagasu deserves on body of work to make it over a Polina unfair. (And some where arguing this for Jeremy in past competitions). Nagasu/Abbott's inconsistent is why I'm fine with letting others pass them at Nationals when they skate well.

bsfan

On the Ice
I don't feel it's right to be so hash to Abbott. After all, he earned the spot. He doesn't own anybody anything. He maybe 'old' in skating world. But he is still in his twenties, right?

louisa05

Final Flight
this competition is not so important anyway, they are NOT a TEAM really, it is not like soccer, football, baseball, those figure skaters train individually and their country put them together for this competition, that´s all, the arena was half empty and it is even the olympic games, no one cares enough.

But, but, but....it is the end of the world and Jeremy has ruined his entire life and should withdraw himself from the U.S. team forever because of it.

And never mind famine, war, human-trafficking, or 5 year olds getting shot by stray gang bullets while eating their breakfast (actually happened near here a couple of weeks ago), Jeremy Abbott's bad short program in a new event at the Olympics is teh most devastating thing that has happened in the world lately and certainly the most awful outcome in Olympic history.

It's like you haven't even read this thread.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't feel it's right to be so hash to Abbott. After all, he earned the spot. He doesn't own anybody anything. He maybe 'old' in skating world. But he is still in his twenties, right?
He's 28.
He earned his spot for the Olympics. What he did not earn was his spot for the team competition. His comments make it even more clear that he is in no sense a team player, and that's not even starting on his abysmal record in World & Olympic competition.