Let's face it...Jeremy Abbott blew it | Golden Skate

Let's face it...Jeremy Abbott blew it

wootie

Match Penalty
Maybe it seems to mean to harp on someone's misfortune, but Jeremy Abbott revealed tonight that he doesn't have the makings of an international champion. He just doesn't. He's a very good artist and can sporadically be impressive technically but much like Carolina Kostner, he generally caves under the pressure of international competition. There is something missing from his competitive spirit, plain and simple.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Maybe it seems to mean to harp on someone's misfortune, but Jeremy Abbott revealed tonight that he doesn't have the makings of an international champion. He just doesn't. He's a very good artist and can sporadically be impressive technically but much like Carolina Kostner, he generally caves under the pressure of international competition. There is something missing from his competitive spirit, plain and simple.

Jeremy is a lovely skater, but his nerves oftentimes gets the better of him. We've known this for ages now. We can't have them the way we'd like all the time. We have to take the good with the not so fabulous. Leave the poor man alone. I am sure he feels gutted for the team already.

andyjo24

Medalist
Jeremy Abbott is much, much worse than Carolina Kostner who has been World Champion before in addition to several other world medals. He should be compared to Alissa Czisny instead. He's the male version of Alissa Czisny.... Superb artistry but always breaking down in big competitions.

No offense, but he should really retire. Participating in shows would be a better fit for him than the competitive atmosphere.

louisa05

Final Flight
Jeremy is retiring after this season. He announced that quite some time ago.

And I agree with hyperinflation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
do we really need another thread on this

No. :agree:

A plea to everyone:
Let's all try extra hard not to start redundant threads, shall we? Both the Olympics subforum and The Edge already have way too many for our sanity.​

If you accidentally start a thread that you then realize is redundant, a good way to contact the mods (so that they will delete or merge it) is:
Click on the report icon and report yourself to explain the situation.​

Maybe it seems to mean to harp on someone's misfortune ...

Yes, it seems mean. And it is mean.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No one on purposely skates bad ; i think he tried his best. but on the other hand do you really want him to fluke out and win a medal at the cost of someone who has been consistent? he still might win an individual medal and to be honest if Jason fell on his 3A I am not so sure that Jason would be that much further ahead.

Selene

On the Ice
Abbott has a pattern. He performs very well at US Nationals and then bombs at all the big international events that follow. I've seen him skate live. He's very talented and a wonderful performer, but he isn't a great competitor.

I was really put off by his selfish attitude as well. For him to state that bombing the SP was a good thing for him was totally uncalled for, considering that his poor skate hurt his teammates' chances of earning an Olympic medal. The comments also showed he is clueless. He has virtually no shot of winning a medal in the individual event. The team event was his best chance to earn a medal - and he blew it for himself and his teammates. If the US manages to win the bronze (despite Abbott putting them in a big hole,) it doesn't seem fair that Abbott would be rewarded for his terrible effort.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both the Olympics subforum and The Edge already have way too many for our sanity.[/INDENT]

If you accidentally start a thread that you then realize is redundant

Yes, it seems mean. And it is mean.

I'm trying to imagine how you can accidentally start a thread. Even if someone were to accomplish this I dont see how they could have the ability to then recognize this so called"accidental thread" as redundant. That might be expecting a bit too much.

This thread is just mean and I only came here to view the reaction(exactly as I suspected). Of course he blew it. What more can you add to this.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm trying to imagine how you can accidentally start a thread. Even if someone were to accomplish this I dont see how they could have the ability to then recognize this so called"accidental thread" as redundant. That might be expecting a bit too much.

Can't tell if you are being facetious, but I will give a serious answer:

The new thread is not accidental -- but the redundancy of the new thread is accidental.

Real-life example of what I mean:

Last night I checked the Olympic subforum and saw no existing thread for the Team Men's SP.
I spent some minutes composing an OP for a new thread (including starting order, planned elements, etc.) -- and then hit the "Submit" button.

To my surprise, I then saw that only moments before, a fellow GS member had started basically the same thread -- within the time that it took for me to get my OP ready.​

I am giving people the benefit of the doubt that some new threads are redundant by accident, as mine was.
(In certain cases, I am being overly generous.)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was being a bit cheeky ill admit but I honestly could not see how you could accidentally start a thread.
Now I see that you are right, it is possible, especially now, to start a thread and find another one identical to it. Glad I learned something and shared a laugh. This thread could prove quite valuable after all.:popcorn:

Ven

Match Penalty
I was really put off by his selfish attitude as well. For him to state that bombing the SP was a good thing for him was totally uncalled for, considering that his poor skate hurt his teammates' chances of earning an Olympic medal. The comments also showed he is clueless. He has virtually no shot of winning a medal in the individual event.

This.

One of the few things I hate about figure skating is that the skaters tend to be a) younger and immature b) insulated from the real world

Not always but a lot of the time you get these comments that are just completely dislocated from reality. Man up already and admit you bombed your performance and let your teammates down and that you'll be supporting them to pick you back up.

Because ...

If the US manages to win the bronze (despite Abbott putting them in a big hole,) it doesn't seem fair that Abbott would be rewarded for his terrible effort.

I don't agree with this. They're all on the team together, win or lose. If the US wins bronze by 1 point, don't you think Jeremy deserves credit for finishing 7th and not lower? What if he finished 8th and they lost by 1 point?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jeremy is retiring after this season. He announced that quite some time ago.

And I agree with hyperinflation.

I do not feel sorry for Jeremy. He is 28,he picked (yes, USFS asked skaters rather than picking for the Team event :wall:
to do the team event himself, and he had to know by now what his problems with nerves are.

He could have at least held onto the performance, but he completely caved after the fall. C&S had a fall, but held on to the performance and scored a personal best score.

I hope he retires and does not go to Worlds.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I do not feel sorry for Jeremy. He is 28,he picked (yes, USFS asked skaters rather than picking for the Team event :wall:
to do the team event himself, and he had to know by now what his problems with nerves are.

He could have at least held onto the performance, but he completely caved after the fall. C&S had a fall, but held on to the performance and scored a personal best score.

I hope he retires and does not go to Worlds.

Okay, I just don't know where to start with this.
First, to say you HOPE a skater retires is an awful thing to say. Why would you want a person who has given their life to something to walk away & quit ?!.
Do you get joy from seeing another person fail ?!.
Do you think Jeremy did it on purpose ?.
Would you have passed up an opportunity to skate for your country ?.
EVERYBODY get's nervous.
When he skated yesterday I felt really sorry for him. He tried & that is all you can ask of somebody.
People like you who can't wait to kick a person when they are down really annoy me.
I hope Jeremy comes back & skates well.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I feel sorry for every sportiv who doesn't achive what he was hoping. Especially when is a team who have to suffer from it, the pressure is very big. It is sport, it is life.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jeremy has to know who and what he is by this time in his life. He is 28. He is choosing to do things that have consequences for people other than himself. Skating with his problems is not that different than Flatt skating on a broken leg. And then he gives that press conference where he says that skating badly was a good thing...

I also hope (but do not expect) that he will skate better in the individual event, but I still wish he would not go to Worlds.

Last edited:

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Jeremy has to know who and what he is by this time in his life. He is 28. He is choosing to do things that have consequences for people other than himself. Skating with his problems is not that different than Flatt skating on a broken leg. And then he gives that press conference where he says that skating badly was a good thing...

I also hope (but do not expect) that he will skate better in the individual event, but I still wish he would not go to Worlds.
Nice (!).

Olympic

On the Ice
Doris, ITA - I also wish he'd bow out of Worlds. I'd like to see Max and Jason skate there. I think Max is more capable to do well on the big stage than Jeremy.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, I'd much rather see Jason at Worlds, even though Jeremy's tech potential is higher.

CassAgain

On the Ice
I agree 100% with Doris. I have used up all my sympathy for Jeremy. He seems immature and self-indulgent, not just yesterday but at Nationals, too. I hope this is the end of his competitive career, and that he goes on to be a brilliant choreographer, or whatever else he wants to do.