Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many?

roundboypete

Rinkside
For Gezando

Sarah came to Salt lake City,
Cool as ice and twice as pretty,
Made the others sing the blues,
Then off to Yale goes Sarah Hughes!

:)

Gezando and Mathman - It that like "All the seniors wear beanies" is a set with regard to one group of students but it's only a sub'set in terms of the entire school and then some sophmore may wear beanies. Am I correct?

Joe

This subject has always confused me. Let B denote the set comprising every set that does not contain itself as a member. Is B a member of B?

:confused:

bronxgirl

Medalist
Re: For Gezando

roundboypete said:
Sarah came to Salt lake City,
Cool as ice and twice as pretty,
Made the others sing the blues,
Then off to Yale goes Sarah Hughes!

:)

Roundboy, how do you do this? another masterpiece ;)

mpal2

Final Flight
Don't worry Joe, I wasn't offended. I was just confused because I've read better from you. I had hoped you didn't mean it as a sweeping blanket statement and glad you didn't mean it that way. Thank you for clarifying. :)

lulu

Final Flight
Re: Sasha - Unpopular?

shdotz said:

2. It was no coincidence that President Bush was standing next to her at the last Olympics; something about Sasha representing
something (cattle) in Texas. I don't like set-ups.

You know-recently Sasha just "adopted a soldier" a Cohen/Bush conspiracy perhaps?:eek: ;)

We should really watch out for Sasha Rumsfeld-I mean Cohen. :p

bronxgirl

Medalist
I hope this isn't just some PR ploy, and that she is truly
giving something of herself to whichever soldier she has "adopted". I always feel a little uneasy whenever any "celebrity" suddddenly makes this type of gesture. I'd like to believe that she thought of it herself, and it wasn't just the brainchild of her publicist. (And I hope whoever is "adopted" enjoys the letter/package and comes home soon safe and sound)

Bronzgirl - Having spent a small part of my life in shobiz, I can agree with you. But that doesn't take it away from the 'star' for doing something worthwhile.

When 'stars' are shown to be helping underprivileged or seriously ill children, it is a nice gesture regardless of whom initiated it.

BTW, What does one do with an adopted soldier?

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
Sharpen the skates, sweep off the ice shavings from the rink, or am I painting Sasha to be too much of the evil stepmother from Cinderella :laugh: :D :laugh:

shdotz

On the Ice
MM - Sasha

EGADS!

Thanks so much for your correction.

Sarah? Well, she certainly did her thing, didn't she?

I do believe that her concentration along with her coach helped her tremendously.

I don't believe Sarah is the best female skater, but she did do the requirements and because of external factors, she won the gold.

There are those who have stated that Irina S. should have won the gold; she's always been one of my favorite skaters; I would have loved to see MK or IS get the gold. They're both mature skaters who put forth exquisite skating and move to the music. Seems everyone wants technical jumps.

Not everyone is as gifted as Alexi Y who does both extremely well.

I'm glad Sarah's going to college and fulfilling her goal in that direction. We now have some gifted female skaters who will have great improvement by the time the next Olympics comes around.

sh

dizzydi

On the Ice
Here are two reasons I feel Sarah is unpopular:

1) First and foremost, she beat Michelle and Irina. Some of Michelle's fans have difficulty facing the fact that she more or less blew it at two consecutive Olympics. Michelle skated well but not her best and that was needed to beat both Tara and Sarah on those two faithful nights. If Michelle didn't win, it was expected that Irina would win because they were the two rivals in contention (and so deserving) in the eyes of so many figureskating fans.

2) Sarah gave up on skating to pursue college. This has ticked off fans because it was expected that the Olympic champion would continue to skate. I think die-hard fans feel betrayed by Sarah's choice of college over skating.

I would imagine that the last two Olympic Champions will be debated forever. Unless Michelle can step up to the plate in Turin, no doubt we will have the same debate over the 2006 Olympic Champion.

I do agree that the Olympic Champion does NOT spell the best in the world but rather the best at the particular competition. I haven't been a big fan of either Sarah or Tara but their Olympic performances were incredible. I would change the outcome if I could but I can't so I accept it. Michelle was my favorite at both Olympics.

However, being honest, I know that Michelle Kwan didn't skate up to her ability at either Olympics. It was Michelle's competition to lose and she did----twice. That responsibility falls on her shoulders alone.

Give Sarah Hughes a break. She's a great young woman.

Dizzy

euterpe

Medalist
Michelle DID NOT FAIL in Nagano! Kwan skated a beautiful performance, and many felt that if the skating order had been reversed, the outcome might have been different.

There is one more reason some were miffed at Sarah. At SLC, Sarah said she would go to Worlds and 'skate for my country'. But less than two weeks before Worlds, she changed her mind, pleading exhaustion from trips to the Oscars, opening the Stock Exchange, etc., and the USFSA had to scramble to get a replacement. Angela Nikodinov was out of the country, so the USFSA opted for Jenny Kirk, who went to Worlds but had to withdraw after the SP with an injury.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
One thing that can be said about Sarah. Her nonfans insist her jumps are flawed and underrotated. (No one else flutzes.) The nonfan of Sarah has difficulty to mention the name without saying underrotated jumps whether or not she actually did underrotate jumps. (No one else underrotates jumps.). It is written as if it were a litany.

Joe I really have to disagree with you here. Sarah DID underrotate some of her jumps at SLC. I went back and watched it just to make sure. I don't consider myself a fan of Sarah's, although I have enjoyed some of her programs, but I don't automatically equate underroated jumps with her name. I don't think she underrotates any more than any other skater...but she did on that night.
I notice when any skaters jumps are flawed....I commented on a diffrent board that MK had an underrotated jump at Worlds this year (and I"m a huge MK fan). I don't liked flawed jumps on any skater.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
I hope this isn't just some PR ploy, and that she is truly
giving something of herself to whichever soldier she has "adopted". I always feel a little uneasy whenever any "celebrity" suddddenly makes this type of gesture. I'd like to believe that she thought of it herself, and it wasn't just the brainchild of her publicist. (And I hope whoever is "adopted" enjoys the letter/package and comes home soon safe and sound)

Whether it's a PR thing or not, that ANY celebrity takes the time to give to charity no matter what it is should be applauded.

No, I'm not naive. But there would be far less research done on certain diseases if not for celebrity spokespeople or involvement. Sorry, Mr. Jones down the street just doesn't "cut it". There would be less research done on orphan diseases/disorders. There would no reason for the Make A Wish foundation to exist.

God forbid that Sasha (or any other skater) does something that is truly worthy in this day and age. So what if it's PR? Big deal. Michelle Kwan was on the commercials for CMN. So what? I'm glad she did it. I'm glad Michelle did it.

I'm glad any celebrity will do it whether it's out of the kindness of their very souls or for PR. At least someone is stepping up because there sure aren't a lot of "us" doing it, now are there?

It really irks me when anything a celebrity does is seen as a PR ploy. If someone gains something from a celebrity being involved, who did it hurt? Geez, give me a break!

Now, back to Sarah, I liked her then and I still like her. Even liked her skating.

Hi Brave - My complaint about some non fans of Sarah is that they continually mention her name with the added 'she underrotates her jumps' implyhing all of them and everytime in a competition,. She jumps clockwise and that may give the illusion that she is not completing the requisite air turns. She lands her jumps on a solid edge and it is difficult to cheat a jump unless you jerk the landing skate. There is no jerking the landing skate like Irina did causing her free leg to uncontrolably go up in the air. No one said anything about Irina's underrotated jump. did they? Sarah is not perfect, and to nitpick her jumps when I can find other aspects of her skating to complain about is as I said before just reciting a litany.

I consider myself a nonSarah fan but she deserved that gold medal for what she did that night. I'm really sorry for the other two ladies who I think are better competritive skaters.

Joe

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Annett Poetsch?? I can't see it all. I see Annett Poetsch as being just a bit above Schuba and Sjoukje Dijkstra [at least from what I've seen] in free skating. Sarah has the grace of an angel compared to them. If Sarah is ''forgotten'' it will be because she chooses to be.

bronxgirl

Medalist
realistic51 said:
Whether it's a PR thing or not, that ANY celebrity takes the time to give to charity no matter what it is should be applauded.

No, I'm not naive. But there would be far less research done on certain diseases if not for celebrity spokespeople or involvement. Sorry, Mr. Jones down the street just doesn't "cut it". There would be less research done on orphan diseases/disorders. There would no reason for the Make A Wish foundation to exist.

God forbid that Sasha (or any other skater) does something that is truly worthy in this day and age. So what if it's PR? Big deal. Michelle Kwan was on the commercials for CMN. So what? I'm glad she did it. I'm glad Michelle did it.

I'm glad any celebrity will do it whether it's out of the kindness of their very souls or for PR. At least someone is stepping up because there sure aren't a lot of "us" doing it, now are there?

It really irks me when anything a celebrity does is seen as a PR ploy. If someone gains something from a celebrity being involved, who did it hurt? Geez, give me a break!

Now, back to Sarah, I liked her then and I still like her. Even liked her skating.

I still feel uneasy when someone of celebrity has to advertise their charity work. I'd be more impressed if a celebrity doesn't pick the cause of the moment for their good deeds.

You are right in that more people should be stepping up to the plate on their own.

Puce

Rinkside
celebrity? maybe in the small community of figure skating fans, but not in the grand scheme of things. if sasha wants to do something charitable and anmnounce it to the whole world, more power to her. and if she wants to keep it a secret and let people find out on their own, good for her then too. she has a right to be proud and excited and brag if she wants. it's her info to do with what she pleases.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Just my philosophical bent, that charity doesn't need to be announced. Even when you're 19. And a celebrity.