Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Why is Sarah H so unpopular with so many?

bronxgirl

Medalist
registered said:
Actually, it was posted for those, who at least have half a brain.

:laugh: You mean, for those of us here at GS that have the same "half of a brain" that you have? You're right Gezando, I haven't laughed that hard in a while!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Heads up, guys. Golden Skate has only a few rules about what you can post, but one of them that is strictly enforced is the rule against bashing other skating forums.

Here is a link to the relevant paragraph of the GS guidelines.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/guidelines.shtml#2

"The definition of "bashing" is when you bring your personal feelings into the forum and turn posts and threads into a war. Everyone has their own opinion(s), favorite skater(s), etc.

"Note: The Golden Skate Forum will not tolerate bashing of other skating forums."

Please go back and edit your posts accordingly if you have made derogatory remarks about other forums, whether general skating forums or specific fan based forums. Do not post links to other forums for the purpose of holding them or their members up to abuse and ridicule.

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
You mean, for those of us here at GS that have the same "half of a brain" that you have?
Is this like "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"? Is there some theory out there that Michelle fans watch skating with the right side of their brains and Sasha fans watch skating with the left side of their brains? :laugh:

Longhornliz said:
I think its hysterical when adults and teenagers get into fights on here.... its just a message board folks.

:)

Hey Lav - We are more than a message board. We are a Figure SKating Forum. We exchange views on so many related figure skating topics,. Sasha Forums and MK Forums exchange of lot of agreements between themselves. they do often bring in news of the favorite skater and that is good.

Regarding the 2002 Olympic Champion; Prior to the Olys it was fairly well established that Irina would win, and in case there was any problem, Sasha would be the upstart a la Tara and Oksana. I believe Michelle's possible win was very low and only amongst the most die hard fans.

So on that night the ladies took to the warm up on the ice, Sarah was in 4th place as was expected. The other ladies from lst to 3rd were eager to win the gold. They didn't I do believe the MK fans accepted her loss of that Olys. However, I do not believe some of the Irina/Sasha fans have yet gotten over it. Just my belief. It's not a bash of all Irina/Sasha fans.

What is wrong with most fans of anyone is that they also believe it is the single competition which glorifies the BEST SKATER IN THE WORLD (and for the next 4 years.). Not true! Sarah was the best that night and that's the end of it.
Had the competition been held the following week, it could have been Maria Butryskaya.:)

I really think it's time to ease up on Sarah. She's a nice lady and the Olympic Champion, too.

Joe

Registered and Gezando - Appreciate you cool it now. Both of you are talking about Other Forums in a bashing manner. That's against the rules.

I don't see the necessity to go to other forums since GS for me is all inclusive of figure skating. I love questioning judges mostly. I have visited MK Forum and Sada Forum. Both forums bored me. But hey, that's me.

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
Personally, I admire Sarah H for deciding that her education was more important in her life than figure skating. I think that is truly a wonderful message to send out to youngsters, since it is more likely that you can become a doctor than you can win an Olympic Medal. She truly had the skate of a lifetime that night in SLC, and it was wonderful to watch that joy.

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:

I don't see the necessity to go to other forums since GS for me is all inclusive of figure skating. I love questioning judges mostly. I have visited MK Forum and Sada Forum. Both forums bored me. But hey, that's me.

Joe

ITA, therefore, I am talking mostly about what I read here at GS or the former variations of GS. Some other reports I have read on the net, I honestly did not remember what forums those messages were post, but the content of the messages made an impression. I thought those messages were laughable that is all. Since I did not mention any specific names of forums, why such a misunderstanding and assumed that I was talking about SCF? I was really not talking about SCF. But you are the mod and you can delete edit any message as you want. Thanks.

PS to add, actually I do not visit skaters specific forums that much, therefore I can not be ITA with your view of "both forums bored me" I have no opinion about either of the 2 forums that you find "bored"

One skater specific forum I like is Sarah's forum, and Diane is a dual Michelle and Sarah fan. She updates us with cool Sarah news and pictures.

I like to read about the ballet and dance messages that you post. :)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IceAngel2007 said:
I do not like Sarah Hughes, I probably never have and probably never will. its just her attitude, and I do think she has changed since the 2002 Winter Olympics. I did think she skated well when she won gold. but now she has seemed to be more stuck up. probably thinking that she is better than everyone else. which from my opinion SHES NOT!

she's still a huge fan of MK so I don't see that at all

what I do see is a lot of pointless bickering in this post.

if going to college makes you stuck up then I must be stuck up

registered

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Registered and Gezando - Appreciate you cool it now. Both of you are talking about Other Forums in a bashing manner. That's against the rules.

Joe

Hmm, actually I only provided a link to another forum, to back up my words. If I'd insinuate something was going on out there, without being able to show prove -- then, I agree, it'll be bashing (like Gezando's unwarranted attack on entire Sasha's fandome :p ). Mine description was entirely accurate, which again, anyone's welcome to see for themselves.)

gezando said:
I like to read about the ballet and dance messages that you post. :)

I just happen to be going to the ballet next week and will be seeing La Bayadere music by Minkus and skated to by Sarah Hughes in SLC. How apropo for this thread.

ABT is guesting a russian ballerina - Svetlana something - whom I am told is a must see. She'll be partnered by Jose Manuel Carreno, a Cuban premier danser who brings in a lot of female fans into the house when he dances. It shoudl be an exciting evening.

If you follow the ballet, there are many verbal arguments during the intermissions, not unlike the written ones in this forum about who is the 'best':laugh:

Joe

bronxgirl

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I just happen to be going to the ballet next week and will be seeing La Bayadere music by Minkus and skated to by Sarah Hughes in SLC. How apropo for this thread.

ABT is guesting a russian ballerina - Svetlana something - whom I am told is a must see. She'll be partnered by Jose Manuel Carreno, a Cuban premier danser who brings in a lot of female fans into the house when he dances. It shoudl be an exciting evening.

If you follow the ballet, there are many verbal arguments during the intermissions, not unlike the written ones in this forum about who is the 'best':laugh:

Joe

I am very jealous! Not too much ballet makes it way out here...

gezando

Final Flight
Ballet in summer months in NYC, am I jealous or what. I was at the Big Apple a couple of weeks ago, wanted to buy tix to the tribute to Mr. B

Off topic from ballet to 6th grade math.

Oh boy, Mrs. McR will be so proud of me. :)

When I talked about " a fan", "some fans" those are a unit of a subset of the entire set. A unit or subset does not represent the whole set. How on earth can someone confuse a subset for a whole set. I definitely did not attack any unit or subset or whole set.

Back to ballet. I wonder why ballet / dance like Le Sacre are not performed nowadays, at least not in my tiny little town. Lack of good dancers? Also curious about whatever happened to the 18th century tradition of having ballets dancers in an opera

Whatever happened to that Russian ballerina who was kicked out of the Kirov? for eating too much ice cream and blosom to 115 lbs. How about that opera singer (name escape me) who was kicked off Covenant Garden a few weeks ago for her weight.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Q: What is "bashing"?

A: The definition of "bashing" is when you bring your personal feelings into the forum and turn posts and threads into a war. Everyone has their own opinion(s), favorite skater(s), etc. Also, it is important to remember that there are many members from different cultural environments. As a result, some posts can be misperceived. Use good judgment when posting and replying to posts.

Bashing is also excessively posting negative things (true or untrue) pertaining to skaters. Again, it's ok to disagree, joke, and comment, but to blatantly bash a skater because you don't like him/her will not be tolerated in this forum.

Note: The Golden Skate Forum will not tolerate bashing of other skating forums.

just a reminder... bringing fights from other boards onto here is really just plain boring for the rest of us. If you have a beef with MKF or SashaFans or any other board then please keep it to THAT board... not here. We're not a common ground where you can pick fights. Just a reminder.

Vash01

Medalist
I don't dislike her for 'taking away the OGM' from Michelle or anyone else. She was a consistent, steady skater for whom all the pieces fell into the right place when it counted. It does not make her one of the great skaters. Her posture always bothered me, and she looked juniorish on the ice. Normally it would have taken most skaters out of consideration for a top placement in a major competition. Her imperfections were often ignored by the judges. That is not a reason to dislike a skater, and I don't think she is/was an unpopular skater.

Having said that, her consistency always amazed me. She usually said the right things in the interviews and she handled herself very well, in a professional way.

I don't dislike Sarah as a person or even as a skater. I always thought of her as a young skater with a lot of potential. I just feel that she was not at the same level of maturity as other Olympic gold medallists in ladies. She won mainly because of consistency in jumps, and although they were not executed perfectly (flutzed, underrotated, etc.) she landed them. To me, that alone is not great skating.

Vash

ladybug

On the Ice
I'm a die hard Michelle Kwan fan but I also love Tara, Sarah, Sasha and Irena. They are all excellent skaters and they all deserve their wins. Too bad they can't all be OGM winners.

It's very easy to love all of them. Just open your heart and you can find something to love about everyone of them. It's not necessary to be a fan of one skater and hate everyone else who seriously competes against them. They don't hate each other. As a matter of fact, they all seem to be friends and after the competitions, you can see them talking and laughing together. Too bad we can't take a lesson from them.

Ladybug

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t dislike Sarah or her skating because of the reason that the judges gave her the Oly gold instead of Irina, who in my opinion should have been the rightful winner (because she should have won the short programme). Have to add that I´m no special Irina fan, LOL.

Actually I don´t dislike (a too strong word) Sarah or her skating at all. It is just that her coltish look on the ice has never pleased my eye (have not seen her skating after the Olympics). Sarah is not the only one. There are a couple other female skaters and a few male skaters I don´t enjoy because of their look on the ice and/or the lack in interpreting music.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Warning -- two-four degrees of separation from main topic.

gezando said:
Ballet in summer months in NYC, am I jealous or what. I was at the Big Apple a couple of weeks ago, wanted to buy tix to the tribute to Mr. B

I hope you were able to see the broadcast of the New York City Ballet gala on PBS. (I don't see a location after your name, so I don't know if you're in the US or part of Canada that gets US public television stations.) It was hosted by Sarah Jessica Parker, who changed her dress three times and her hair at least once. Much great dancing of excerpts from Liebeslieder Walzer (part two), Concerto Barocco (2nd movement), Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet (4th movement), Duo Concertante (most of it), "The Man I Love" from Who Cares? (with Wynton Marsalis riffing a completely different rhythm from the dance), School of American Ballet students in Harlequinade, and the last movement of Vienna Waltzes.

Back to ballet. I wonder why ballet / dance like Le Sacre are not performed nowadays, at least not in my tiny little town. Lack of good dancers?
Le Sacre is generally considered un-choreographable; the music is too powerful to re-create in dance, which has a limited palate compared to music. That's never stopped anyone from trying, and generally the touring European companies give it a go from time to time. Many critics that I've read consider Paul Taylor's "Le Sacre...The Rehearsal" to be the best dance version.

Also curious about whatever happened to the 18th century tradition of having ballets dancers in an opera
Happens all the time, at least among the major companies. Many have their own ballet troupes (Metropolitan Opera, New York City Opera); they and other companies borrow from the local ballet troupes. About five or so years ago Kyra Nichols and Damien Woetzel from NYCB performed in Act III of La Traviata at the Met. Balanchine choreographed a version of Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme for Patricia McBride, Jean-Pierre Bonnefous, and Nureyev for New York City Opera in 1979, and students from the School of American Ballet made up the corps.

Ballets/dance were written into some of the standard and next tier repertoire, like Traviata, Faust, Sampson et Delilah, Don Carlos, Aida (twice), Tannhauser etc. And then there's always Salome's "Dance of the Seven Veils," for which some productions have used dancers instead of singers.

Whatever happened to that Russian ballerina who was kicked out of the Kirov? for eating too much ice cream and blosom to 115 lbs.
After a Pyrrhic court victory -- the Bolshoi was ordered to re-hire her, but they didn't cast her in anything, and by contract she is paid per-performance -- Anastasia Volochkova is dancing for former Bolshoi Director Yuri Grigorovich's company, Ballet Grigorovich, in Krasnodar. And she's contracted to dance all of the major classical roles for the company. That was the easiest weight loss in history.

Plus, according to the June issue of Blades on Ice, Volochkova and Plushenko are going to play in-lovers in a music video.

How about that opera singer (name escape me) who was kicked off Covenant Garden a few weeks ago for her weight.
That was Deborah Voigt, and the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden has been excoriated in the press for their choice. Voight made her Carnegie Hall recital, and added a verse to a song (I think a popular song) that alluded to a "little black dress," the costume that outranked her in the London production.

---
As for Sarah Hughes, I think there are two reasons she is a lightening rod: for being a "pretender" to the throne as if she had stolen something from Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen, and because her championship skate has been described as being technically better than it was, if you count the flutz and under-rotations.

I admire her for being a fighter and for having the best skate of her life at the biggest competition of her life. While I think her positions were often sloppy -- if she were a dancer, she would have been a Balanchine dancer -- she never struck me as either coltish or junior. When she was on, I think she had a sophisticated and rhythmic response to her music, and such lovely edges out of many of her edge jumps.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
and because her championship skate has been described as being technically better than it was
I don't dislike Sarah at all, in fact I followed her career with interest from 98 until present. I quess you could call me a fan :love: , but sometimes I think I must be the only person in the world who was underwhelmed by the presentation of her Oly LP. :confused: I'm not taling about positions, I just thought that the whole thing was flat and boring. JMHO. I'm not questioning the results, it's just that I keep reading about this amazing, awesome, breathtaking LP and I just didn't get that on that night.

mpal2

Final Flight
I may have already said this in the thread earlier, but I have to agree with you BG.

My reaction was that she could possibly reach the potential everyone seemed to think she already had within a couple more seasons if she worked at it hard enough. It was better than any skate she had in the past, but it just doesn't make my all-time greatest skates list.

I can say that for once, I was looking forward to seeing her the next season. That of course died a quick death given the fact that skating seemed to be such a huge burden to her. It made it extra painful to watch her programs in 2002-2003. It's all kind of sad really.

Of the four contenders for the 2002 Olys, I believe Sarah had the fewest fans. So for me, it seems that nitpicking her routine at that Oly is just to let loose the frustration that a personal fan did not win. If a fan of the other three would stop believing that the Olys signifies the best in the world, that will help you get over the contest and move on.

Look to 2006, the three ladies who did not win will again be competitin, but be prepared for another spoiler.

Joe