Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived?

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Aw. not happy about that but hope he is OK. I was so looking forward to seeing him compete because he always adds excitement to the competition. At least we won't have to hear how the Russians inflated his scores again.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Wow. I haven't been a fan of his since the last Olympics, but now I am sad nonetheless. He is certainly an athlete that brought a lot to the sport and who in some ways was a positive role model though his incredible work and perseverance.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would not say that Plushenko is the best of all, but he definetely is the most decorated male singles skater in last 50 years.

jkun

Final Flight
I feel bad for Kovtun! Russia loses its spot in the men's individual now, right? The WD was too late?

noskates

Record Breaker
Does anybody think it's just spin that supposedly Kovtun wasn't ready to come to Sochi so that's why Plush stayed in the competition even though - and Mishin - knew he was hurt? I can't imagine Kovtun going on vacation or sitting around getting fat when the very good possibility was Plush wouldn't be able to skate. It's sad for any champion to have to withdraw and end his career that way but somehow I still feel some of it has been contrived.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Although I feel horrible for Kovtun, and a WD is an anti-climactic end, there's no denying the stellar career Plushenko has had. He's easily the most consistent skater and a remarkable jumper.

Plushenko's programs weren't always to my liking, but he skated them with passion that many skaters don't have, and represented Russia very well - way longer than he even needed to cement himself as one of figure skating's all-time greats.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Does anybody think it's just spin that supposedly Kovtun wasn't ready to come to Sochi so that's why Plush stayed in the competition even though - and Mishin - knew he was hurt? I can't imagine Kovtun going on vacation or sitting around getting fat when the very good possibility was Plush wouldn't be able to skate. It's sad for any champion to have to withdraw and end his career that way but somehow I still feel some of it has been contrived.

Contrived?! Russia?! Never! :laugh: Total spin. With the potential of Plushenko pulling out, Kovtun was definitely on the sidelines... and Plushenko had 3 days to WD. There are alternates for each country ready to skate in case of a withdrawal, let alone when it's a big possibility of a withdrawal.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
wasn't kovtun an alternate? they should have let him do individual, tough federation.

volk

Final Flight
With Plushenko retired I can officially proclaim that Yagudin is a better skater.:yes:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Contrived?! Russia?! Never! :laugh: Total spin. With the potential of Plushenko pulling out, Kovtun was definitely on the sidelines... and Plushenko had 3 days to WD. There are alternates for each country ready to skate in case of a withdrawal, let alone when it's a big possibility of a withdrawal.

Actually, no, he didn't. The deadline to WD and still be replaced was I think about 10am the morning after the team event, when Plushenko still would have had adrenaline buzzing around his body from winning gold and when he might have thought "I always feel this way after a competition". Any time after that deadline he could not be replaced. It was, I thought, the most stupid part of the whole thing.

wasn't kovtun an alternate? they should have let him do individual, tough federation.

Yes, Kovtun was the alternate. As I explained above, it wasn't a "let" situation.

And anyway, Kovtun has no right to be mad. If he wanted to skate at the Olympics, then maybe he should have skated a bit better at Worlds last year!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Easy to criticize them afterwards.:p

How about imagining what the reaction would have been if Plushenko had withdrawn after the team event and let Kovtun do the individual?

It would have been as expected, seemingly contrived. But at least Kovtun would have been given some Olympic experience. Either way Russia would have had one man in the individual event, and now there's no man in the individual event.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I certainly hope that Kovtun will get his chance to skate @ Worlds!

aschiutza

On the Ice
I think is better he retired before doing something really stupid to his body.

I cheer a wondeful athlet, who pushed figure skating and himself till their borders. I cheer a charismatic entertainer, which i hope we will see in many many shows. May he push forward now the figure skating shows, bring them in the whole world and win many new fans for FS!