Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Is Plushenko the best male skater who ever lived?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maxim Kovtun verified account
‏@Makskovtun
Друзья, спасибо за вашу поддержку и веру в меня. Женя сделал все для победы России! Поздравляю нашу команду с победой в командном турнире.
8:11 AM - 14 Feb 2014
https://twitter.com/Makskovtun/statuses/434359335041630208

Rough translation:
Friends, thank you for your support and belief in me. Zhenya did everything for a victory for Russia! I congratulation our team on victory in the team competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nope. Voronov earned that spot fair and square, with Menshov as alternate.

I would have to agree. Although Kovtun does have more potential to secure 2 spots for Russia next year. Voronov has been the most consistent Russian man of Kovtun/Menshov/and, upto the Olympics, Plushenko. So he really does deserve it, even if it might be another crapshoot.

RobinA

On the Ice
I don't know what you are talking about, I am talking about FS as SPORT! Plushenko is well-rounded skater and for now has best record with quad jumps, so he is the best!
If you want to talk about something else, then its a different story.

Not all of us share your rather narrow definition of "sport." Some of us don't even really care what you label the activity that is figure skating.

moviechick

On the Ice
Best is far too subject.

Most accomplished, most consistent, most powerful competitor? Absolutely 100% agree. His reliability was truly insane. His consistency with both the quad and triple axel over a span of 15 years is kind of unbelievable. He landed his first 4-3 when he was like 16 and just did it again at the team event at age 31 with an effed up spine. I'm not much of a fan of his programs but there's no denying his competitive ability and his prodigious talent.

mcb805

Spectator
Let's not confuse being a showy skater with being the best. Aside from jumping, Plush is not all that. Plus, he's not very engaging. Of course that is purely subjective :)
I'm just never drawn into his programs. I might marvel at his jumping ability, but that's as far as it goes.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko was the best skater of his era http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4367949-plushenko-was-the-best-skater-of-his-era/

Evan Lysacek:
http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/157752072.html google translating
Evan Lysacek : "For me, an ideal skater Plushenko "

Tags Sochi 2014 Russian team male skating Evan Lysacek Evgeni Plushenko

Olympic champion Vancouver 2010 figure skating Evan Lysacek shared expectations of the performance of Evgeni Plushenko in Sochi.

- What does the champion of the last Olympics in the men's hands, pre-launch a program ?

- Team competitions gave some idea of the results that can be expected in the form of individual programs . Plushenko brilliantly acted for the Russian team , so he is definitely one of the main candidates for the prize . But let's not forget what he has strong competitors : the triple world champion Canadian Patrick Chan , Japanese Yuzuru Hanyu , who incredibly progressing lately.

He's still quite young, but already the winner of the Grand Prix. His compatriot Daisuke Takahashi is also very good. The winner will be the one who will be able to avoid mistakes , and, of course , much will depend on the complexity of the program. For example, in a Team Plushenko skated his program almost flawlessly and earned high scores.

- Were you surprised Plushenko form in the team tournament ?

- Yes, he's in great shape ! He is the only representative of Russia in men and it great responsibility . Your country expects him to medal, and it can not push psychologically. Many doubted whether he was ready to perform at the highest level. But he was able to prove that his ability to withstand this stress. He is very experienced and psychologically stable . This can be a decisive factor in men's competitions , which involved a lot of newcomers .

For many years I know Plushenko , together we participated in a tour in the United States . He joined him after a win at the Olympics in Turin. We often see each other at competitions . On Plushenko I'd rather be equal , because he was older than me. For me, it is an ideal skater . I remember watching his performance in Salt Lake City. In Turin I have personally participated in the competition , but then I did not fight with him for a gold medal, and came in fourth place - Lysacek said .

Nick McCarvel ‏@NickMcCarvel

The end of an era as #Plushenko says so long. @Tara_Lipinski, @EvanLysacek and Paul Wylie weigh in on his legacy:http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/yevgeny-plushenko-revered-and-divisive-ends-legendary-career

Scott Hamilton @ScottHamilton84
An incredible night of skating. @EvgeniPlushenko was amazing. Olympic Skating delivering history!

Todd Eldredge @toddeldredge
So impressed by @EvgeniPlushenko still skating & competitive after so many years. ‪#‎legend‬ & incredible inspiration for all Russian skaters!

Elvis Stojko @Therealestojko
@toddeldredge @EvgeniPlushenko I agree my friend. An inspiration to skaters everywhere!

Tom Zakrajsek @CoachTomZ
@SkatingLesson Aka "hero points" U still have 2 admire Plushenko. He is the male Dara Tores of figure skating.

Misha Ge @Sk8Prince
The person who said possible to impossible. Unbelievable & Unstoppable : Evgeni Plushenko ‪#‎OneAndOnly‬

Kiira Korpi Official @kiirakorpi_fi
Congrats to all Olympic medalists at the new figure skating ‪#‎teamevent‬! Gotta admit that nobody could beat Plushenko's charisma on the ice.

Sasha Cohen ‏@SashaCohenNYC

Plushenko has had an amazing career and is a gift to this sport. He has earned 4 Olympic medals and inspired so many skaters and people.

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford Feb 11

Plushenko scheduled 2 "practice" soon. @jeremyabbottpcf on him:"He doesn't need to pound away, he does a quad in blink of an eye"#Sochi2014

Peter Liebers:
"It was an honor to go out on the ice, "Iceberg", together with Evgeni Plushenko"
http://itar-tass.com/sport/940545
"Plushenko - a true professional, focused on what he was doing. He looked good on the ice, and I think it is worth waiting for a good performance - said Libers. - I am honored to go on the ice with him. Course, I was concentrating on its program, but managed to look like he rides. I can say that it is a great short program, as everything he did was done purely ".