Team Canada Throws in the Towel? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Canada Throws in the Towel?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Six points separates gold from silver; seven silver from bronze. I would be surprised if the podium turned out to be much different then our current standings.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
When you wish so many bad things on others, don't you worry about your own karma?

Karma has many ways of gong some could say D and W have had their turn on top and Chan should have good karma this olympics or Hanyu should win or... but there really seems to be something mean behind some people's or person's post. just nasty - I think i know what trolling is now. But Canada has not skated well so far. Osmond not bad.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
this Virtue&Moir ubers are shameless
like I said, I hope V/M gets a karma, so does Chan
When you wish so many bad things on others, don't you worry about your own karma?

:agree:
How incredibly stupid "some people" are for associating what some V/M"über" fans say with them saying it. Just sad. :no:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Like I said 2 days ago the gold already was engraved in Russia's name the moment Plushenko beat Chan in the mens short program. Now hopefully everyone is convinced of it. How would Canada win gold now, coming 1st to 4th in the dance event, 1st to 4th in the mens, and then still needing Osmond to beat Lipnitskaya in the womens long (ROTFL). Sorry it aint happening.

So they might as well rest one of Chan or Virtue & Moir. The thing is if they rest Chan and use Reynolds they are probably giving up 3 points, and if they do that they could be under threat by the U.S for the silver. It is an outside shot but probably still more than Canada ever catching Russia for gold would be at this point. By using W&P instead of V&M they probably would lose only 1 point and could well lose 0. V&M would probably come 2nd. W&P would probably come 3rd and could very well come 2nd.

I predicted before the SD if V&M ended up well beaten by D&W we see them not skate the team FD as the last thing they need is two sound beatings by D&W before the individual even begins. I think that is what we will now see. V&M may have seemed enthusiastic about skating both programs, but that was probably with their usual confidence thinking they would win or atleast be extremely close in the SD. They werent. More time fine tuning their programs for the individual competition is a better idea than a 2nd skate for them at this point. Meanwhile Chan needs to rebuild his confidence after his so so first outing, and finishing behind Oldchenko. With Hanyu not skating the LP and Plushenko likely to struggle more in the LP, this is a perfect opportunity to do it.

amateur

Final Flight
I'm a bit worried about that scenario that you desrcibe too, wrt Virtue/Moir. It would indeed appear as though Chan has more to (potentially) gain with an extra skate, and that V/M have more to (potentially) lose. Of course things can turn out differently than we expect, and both are capable of winning under any scenario, when it comes down to it, whether or not they are the favourites. And the athletes and coaches certainly know a lot more about what's going on what's best for them, than whatever we might prescribe..
What I don't like, though, is how with this format, Virtue/Moir are essentially "forced" to skate the FD (and W/P forced to sit out - would they have wanted to test the ice, like the others?) if Chan does not, or vice versa

Sadly, Patrick and Tessa & Scott are on the defensive however they play it. On the one hand, a pangtong says, the last thing they need is to be soundly beaten again in the long by their chief rivals. On the other hand, if they pull out to rest and regroup, it will seem like they are dodging competition.

You can run, but you can't hide. Might as well face the music.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Canada already lost the gold but will hang onto silver. If Chan is letting nerves get to him then maybe it's better or at least the same if Reynolds skates. If Reynolds reels off all his quads and Plushenko falters like at RN, he could maybe beat him.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By using W&P instead of V&M they probably would lose only 1 point and could well lose 0. V&M would probably come 2nd. W&P would probably come 3rd and could very well come 2nd.

LOL. Bobrova/Soloviev would have to suffer a major fall to lose to Weaver/Poje in Russia at the Olympics.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
LOL. Bobrova/Soloviev would have to suffer a major fall to lose to Weaver/Poje in Russia at the Olympics.

Except B&S arent skating the FD for Russia. I&K (for some bizarre reason I cant comprehend) are. And even if what you said applies to I&K as well in Russia, I&K are 70% likely to suffer a major fall or more worth of glaring miscues in the FD anyway (atleast 50% likely for it to be an outright fall as well). I believe in Russia I&K will beat C&L in the FD even with their usual and almost expected major errors, but not W&P.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I/K are skating but they would have to have a major fall to be even considered placing behind C/L or W/P on Russian ice and even then they might still be propped up. Canada should put in Reynolds and W/P to have them also get the likely silver.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except B&S arent skating the FD for Russia. I&K (for some bizarre reason I cant comprehend) are. And even if what you said applies to I&K as well in Russia, I&K are 70% likely to suffer a major fall or more worth of glaring miscues in the FD anyway (atleast 50% likely for it to be an outright fall as well). I believe in Russia I&K will beat C&L in the FD even with their usual and almost expected major errors, but not W&P.

I know it has been rumored that Elena & Nikita are doing the FD, but it has not been confirmed on isu.org or on nbcolympics.com. I wish they would go ahead and post the start orders for tomorrow.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I/K are skating but they would have to have a major fall to be even considered placing behind C/L or W/P on Russian ice and even then they might still be propped up. Canada should put in Reynolds and W/P to have them also get the likely silver.

Canada can only have 2 substitutes and they've already used one in pairs with M-T/M replacing D/R in the LP. They only have 1 substitution left and I suspect that will go to Kevin Reynolds in place of Patrick Chan. I would think that Canada wants to give Kevin some exposure to international judges since he's had none this season due to injury plus they probably think it's best that Chan not face another loss at the hands of a Japanese or Russian man before the men's individual event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know it has been rumored that Elena & Nikita are doing the FD, but it has not been confirmed on isu.org or on nbcolympics.com. I wish they would go ahead and post the start orders for tomorrow.

Don't hold your breath. The deadline for countries to nominate their team entries for the remaining segments is not until tomorrow (Sochi time).

February 9th, 2014 - 10:00 h (Sochi time) Nomination by name of the skaters participating inthe Men, Ladies and Ice Dance Free Skating/Free Dance Team Event

MsSweetie

Rinkside
the nationalists are all out in force :rolleye:
even circulating whatever bogus articles involving bribery barter with D/W

ETA: Virtue&Moir twitter fanpage is spreading it on twitter https://twitter.com/virtueandmoir
now I want V/M to miserably fail ay their events

looks like Canada is panicking and spreading the false rumors
hopefully Patrick Chan gets a karma in this games too

You want Virtue and Moir to fail because of a fan page that they don't have anything to do with?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Canada that started this whole thing. It was the French magazine. Then the rest of the media picked it up.
I hope it doesn't get into anyone's heads and that the event is SKATED to the best of everyone's abilities and that the winner is whoever skates the best on that day.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
No Canada is not "throwing in the Towel" in the team event. Our Pair Teams have come on strong in this event; I am sure Virtue/Moir or any of our other ice dance teams will deliver and Kevin Reynolds is poised to go. Maybe Russia will edge us out of the gold, but Silver will be just as sweet.