Anyone going to 2005 Words in Moscow? | Golden Skate

Anyone going to 2005 Words in Moscow?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm not even sure if it's too late to make plans. I assume a Visa is required? I've never gone anywhere that requires a Visa before.

If anyone has recommendations about travel agencies offering tour packages that you are utilizing, I'd sure love more information!

Thanks,
DG

Evdokia

On the Ice
I'm thinking of it. :) About Visa: it depends on your homecountry, but AFAIK E.U.-citizens and U.S. citizens need to apply for a visa when visiting Russia. But I think a couple of month before your journey there will be still enough time to do so - so concerning that it's not too late. ;)

Hi Doggygirl.

There are several travel agencies that advertise tours to skating events in magazines like Blades on Ice, International Figure Skating and my new favorite, Spotlight on Skating. The two that seem most active are Colonial Travel:

www.colonial-travelskating.com

and Silver Blade Tours:

www.silverbladetours.com

(Silver Blade always seems to have an ad right next to the ad for Golden Skate, LOL.)

I can't personally vouch for them. But they do seem to offer a broad service including hotels and some on-site events. My impression is that they are not cheap!

About a Visa, yes you need one. Ask AP McDonough, LOL. If "all goes well" it just takes a few weeks, but better safe than sorry about at least inquiring far in advance.

Mathman

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The only think I can add about Russian visas -- do it through an agency (as an American citizen, the two times I went to Russia I needed a visa, so I know what I am talking about). If you don't go for a package, you can contanct one of many Russian travel agencies in the US; the one I've used is "Galaxy travel" in Boston.

Matt

On the Ice
Hey, I graduate from high school in 2005; can we say senior trip, anyone?:p :p :p

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL on "Worlds" in Moscow...

I just realized I titled this thread as "Words" in Moscow. Particularly embarassing since I don't even know how to order a beer in Russian. If 2005 Worlds were being held in Spain or Mexico, I could NOT direct anyone to the bathroom, but I COULD definitely keep everyone "full up" on adult beverages. "Worlds" not "Words" LOL!

Mean time, I chalk up my "typo" to Worlds 2004 adrenalin, and continue to seek links for travel, and people who are planning to go!!!

Keep it comin' and LET'S GO TO MOSCOW!! No kidding. This might be the boldest travel move I've ever made.

DG

stejoho40

Rinkside
Hi,
I am thinking of going to World's in Moscow. We went to Moscow this past January. My husband had to go for work, so I decided to tag along. Our visas cost $200 each. I was shocked. May have been more expensive than usual because we only had about 3 weeks notice.

I just got a brochure in the mail from Colonial travel....someone posted link above. They don't have the prices yet, but the trip sounds interesting and probably quite expensive. I looked up the hotel they are using and its quite pricey. I also just got an email from www.bryantravel.com and they are putting together a pkg too.
Sue

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
stejoho40 said:
Our visas cost $200 each. I was shocked. May have been more expensive than usual because we only had about 3 weeks notice.
The price that Russia charges US citizans for visas is usually the same as what US charges Russians for its visa. Except of course that it's next to impossible for a Russian citizen to get a US visa... AND when Russians apply for a US visa, they have to pay for "processing", that's money they don't get back even if their application is denied (which it usually is). Considering that $200 is a HUGE sum for most Russians, most don't even try...